• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by krazy kris
    rocks
    Wet noodles.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

To answer your question, a 7.62x39 will take down a hog pretty handily. The only problem you're going to have is nothing that shoots that caliber has any real accuracy, and almost not ability to mount optics within any realistic budget.

An AR-15 will take down a hog if you can aim. Preferably you want an AR-15 that is sub MOA with a scope - just about any decent 16-20" would do that. You will need to aim for behind the ear, or a decent heart shot.

Obviously .308 will take down a hog, as well just about any of the 30 cals.

Now, here's the interesting argument you never hear from 95% of hog hunters..

I use a Remington 600 in .350 magnum AND a 24" AR-15 super bench. Each has it's advantages. A .350 magnum will kill a bear, and since I'm not a fan of running through brush in 110 degree heat with 100% humidity for several miles as I've had to do before, I see the benefit in switching the lights out instantly. However... If you've ever hunted hogs before, you will know that you rarely see one hog by itself. And generally, you don't catch them in the open far enough away from a tree to get more than one shot off with a high powered rifle. With my AR-15, I can easily take down multiple hogs in a group. When firing rapidly, a .223 doesn't knock you off-target at all if you've snugged your rifle correctly. That cannot be said with an AR-10. I know from personal experience trying to accurately fire my G3 at multiple targets which are moving with a time frame involved is just stupid. I personally prefer a very accurate AR-15 for hog hunting, however I reserve a high powered bolt gun for long range and the occasional wanderer, or hogzilla.

A few things to consider.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

How would an SKS do?
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

CJ, thanks for the insight. I saw this thread derailing for a minute.

I currently have a .308, but I am really wanting something for what you mentioned - quantity. And I dont need anything with enough power to kill a horse, so I wanted to stick with the AR-15 or AK. Really, I am ignorant to AK's and just mildly knowledgeable on AR's. I like the feel of the AR-15 while rapid firing, no experience on AKs.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron
            How would an SKS do?
            No problem with knock down power, the only issue as I mentioned earlier is lack of options for optics and real accuracy. You generally hunt hogs in the evening or night, iron sights are not going to be very useful. Even if you spot light the hogs, you're only gonna get 1 shot before the muzzleflash blinds you.
            Last edited by CJ; 11-15-2010, 09:54 PM.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I'm a fan of AR-15's as well but have taken them with something as small as a 9mm and as large as a .50 BMG
              "A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"

Golden Oaks Lodge
              East Texas Axis and Fallow hunts
              https://www.facebook.com/GoldenOaksLodge/

Comment

The most fun I ever had hunting hogs, was with my model 57 Smith 6" (.41 mag). I had to make a decent, well-placed shot (hit something vital), but had no problem knocking them down.

Comment

So I am assuming for cost reasons, it would be better to build an AR, as opposed to buying one done with some add ons?

Comment

Originally posted by Cannon88 View Post
                    So I am assuming for cost reasons, it would be better to build an AR, as opposed to buying one done with some add ons?
                    primarily due to learning the firearm more than the savings. You're not a real American unless you can assemble an ar15 blindfolded.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                      primarily due to learning the firearm more than the savings. You're not a real American unless you can assemble an ar15 blindfolded.
                      Thread Closer!
                      Matts1911SA - XBox Live Gamertag

Comment

Damn I need to get on that! See you guys at the build party then.
                        Ded

Comment

Originally posted by Cannon88 View Post
                          You can build one the way you want it, and save money by doing it properly the first time and not adding/upgrading things later.

Comment

I used to carry an AR into the brush for hogs. Switched over to a 18" 12g with 00 and have not looked back!

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                              I used to carry an AR into the brush for hogs. Switched over to a 18" 12g with 00 and have not looked back!
                              Last time I was out we were walking a small pond for doves, everyone was ahead of me, i stopped to secure my ammo, and heard a rustle in the cat tails right next to me, I pulled my plug and loaded my 1187 full. I aimed at a game trail opening (about 10 feet in front of me) and sure enough a hog popped his head out and I blasted him, he ran at me just to my right, as I panned to follow him about 10-15 hogs ran out of the car tails and I unloaded 7 12 gauge rounds in about 2 seconds. Didn't drop 1 single hog or even get a squeal. But, I know there's an army of hogs with a few hundred 7 1/2 pellets in their right side. What sucks is I was carrying my 870 with buck shot and my .45 minutes earlier. How does buck shot do with them?

Comment

How hard would you consider it to assemble one?

I've only cleaned and fired my guns. Never assembled and/or disassembled one.

I need a winter project and although my 30.06 will stop the dirty pigs, I want something I can get out a few rounds in a hurry.

Comment

Working...
                                X