Chassis setup questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chassis setup questions

I’m installing a crown vic front suspension in my old Chevy and it’s kicking my ass. Ive got it all up on jack stands except the front end being held up with the cherry picker. I’ve got plumbobs on all 4 corners, around a wheel stud to the outside and to the bottom with a level placed on the top two studs to make sure they are they same on each corner. I spent a good 5 hrs wriggling and measuring, I can get my diagonal measurements equal but my front to backs won’t be equal by 7/16”. Or I can get my front to back measurements the same and my diagonals will be off. Should I use a different reference point instead of the front lugs?

I marked a center line and measured the original wheel base so I know where I need to be but if so my diagonals are off 3/4”.

Have you checked the rear end housing to make sure it is straight?
    Originally posted by racrguy
    What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
    Originally posted by racrguy
    Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Whats your "old chevy" exactly ? I think Bronco is right on where to start. These old frames go through a lot over the years.

Comment

Your frame is tweaked. You may want to try to straighten it before you go any further.

You should also double check your measurements by hanging the bob from the spud on the spindle.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

64 Belair, I’ll try using some frame reference points to eliminate the rear end, just in case it’s tweaked.

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
            64 Belair, I’ll try using some frame reference points to eliminate the rear end, just in case it’s tweaked.
            Is that the frame with a driveshaft tunnel ? Always wondered why that design instead of a perimeter style. I bet that frame is tweaked a bit.
            Last edited by dcs13; 11-25-2017, 06:24 AM. Reason: added

Comment

It does have an X frame, kind of a pain in the ass. I found some frame dimensions and frame holes so I dropped a plumb bob and marked some dots on the floor. I got it all to within 1/8” which I think might be ok. I need to check the rear end now.

Comment

your measurements will only be as accurate as the floor it's sitting on........
                pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

do not measure from removable components. there are chassis measure hole scattered on the frame. find the 2 just under the front cab mount and measure from them . your also going to find it is too wide .

Comment

Solid points Grape and Bubba, anyone have a frame table I can borrow for a week?

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                      Solid points Grape and Bubba, anyone have a frame table I can borrow for a week?
                      I wish. I'd been wanting to build one, but they take up so much room and wouldn't get used often enough.
                      Thats a good way to go. Are you settled on that frame ? Have you considered getting a Camaro subframe and making a tube chassis with a Camaro stub ? Or is that old school these days ?

Comment

set your chassis on jack stands. use a level to shim it . the camaro clip is one of the best handling setups . i refuse to set up a mII . got sick of that 20 years ago .

Comment

Spent most of my vacation working on it. Gotta start on brake lines next

Comment

Working...
                          X