X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 7.3 LS engine

Very interesting...
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Every manufacture eventually comes up with a modern V-8 that shares the architecture of the old FE series of engines.

I sure hope the bore spacing is at least 4.45" and the deck height of 9.2' or more.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Bore space is the same as the current 6.2, 115mm or 4.527inch. Bigger than LS and similar to Hemi. Not sure on deck yet, but its supposed to be lower, narrower and lighter than the v10 it replaces.

Right now its confirmed for super duty and commercial trucks. Rumors are there are versions of it slated for Raptor and high trim F150. Pray hard enough and we might get a new boss 429

More specs and highlights;
        4.22 bore
        3.98 stroke
        Weighs about 570lbs (similar to iron LS and hemi)
        Forged Crank
        Piston cooling oil jets
        Roller cam
        Roller trunnion rockers
        Beehive springs
        Port injection (for now) with the injectors in the head
        Cast stainless manifolds

I'm excited about this engine. Surprised there isnt more interest here.

Ford's 450HP 7.3L 'Godzilla' V8 | Inside Info & Spy Pics | Where's the Direct Injection? It's safe to say that there's some excitement around the release of Ford's New 7.3L Godzilla V8 Engine. Let's face it, no one really expected to see a brand new pushrod V8 engine design from Ford Motor...
        1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

They are being coy about power numbers, but its an interesting look.

Man, if we get a Boss 429 back, that would certainly be something special.

More likely the boss will be a toaster-plugin model with a turbo 3pot. =/

Comment

Not sure why all the hype from the car guys over this motor. Much heavier and same hp as the current 5.0.

Makes sense for the truck but not sure I'm as excited as everyone else. Fuel usage vs the 6.7 is going to make the 6.7 a better choice for most even though it's more expensive

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
              Not sure why all the hype from the car guys over this motor. Much heavier and same hp as the current 5.0.

Makes sense for the truck but not sure I'm as excited as everyone else. Fuel usage vs the 6.7 is going to make the 6.7 a better choice for most even though it's more expensive
              Simpler is better. Heavy is what is required when aiming for massive bottom end strength. Why do you think the 2nd gen Chrysler Hemis are the end all be all for maximum HP out of an automotive design engine?
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

No clue why anyone would want this over a diesel. It would be cool to see it turn into a performance motor.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                  Why do you think the 2nd gen Chrysler Hemis are the end all be all for maximum HP out of an automotive design engine?
                  Because of the hemi head. No idea what you are getting at.

As for this engine, it is neither a hemi head or even a canted valve design from what I have seen. It does have six bolt mains and a forged crank so I guess it can take a ton of power. The ports in the head are promising but the valves are long as shit (heavy) and the valve train looks completely non adjustable. It seems like just another towing engine (V10 modular) where Ford made it for the cubes and the torque. If they make different heads for it I guess things could get exciting. I can't ever see them putting this in a mustang but I can see them putting it into a new Lightning.
                  Originally posted by racrguy
                  What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                  Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

About this vs diesel, not everyone needs all the power of a new diesel. Also, gas is such lower cost overall. Engine option $800 vs $8000. The maintenance cost of gas is much lower. Fuel costs should be a wash since gas costs less and with a new 10 speed it'll still get 15ish mpg.

As for performance, give me this all day over a coyote as the start of a build. Narrower. Easier to work on. Big cubes. Whats not to like?

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                      Because of the hemi head. No idea what you are getting at.

As for this engine, it is neither a hemi head or even a canted valve design from what I have seen. It does have six bolt mains and a forged crank so I guess it can take a ton of power. The ports in the head are promising but the valves are long as shit (heavy) and the valve train looks completely non adjustable. It seems like just another towing engine (V10 modular) where Ford made it for the cubes and the torque. If they make different heads for it I guess things could get exciting. I can't ever see them putting this in a mustang but I can see them putting it into a new Lightning.
                      Believe it or not the Hemi head is a shit head for making power. The reason the Hemi is the end-all-be-all for making power in an automotive engine it's because the bottom end is strong enough to not explode instantly when you hit it with Nitro methanol. No other automotive engine that has ever come out of Detroit has had the bottom end strength of the 426 Hemi. This new 7.3 Ford may have that kind of bottom end strength.

Comment

Believe it or not the Hemi head is a shit head for making power. The reason the Hemi is the end-all-be-all for making power in an automotive engine it's because the bottom end is strong enough to not explode instantly when you hit it with Nitro methanol. No other automotive engine that has ever come out of Detroit has had the bottom end strength of the 426 Hemi. This new 7.3 Ford may have that kind of bottom end strength.
                        Yea, this is bullshit. As is usual for your posts.
                        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                            Yea, this is bullshit. As is usual for your posts.
                            Go fuck yourself.

What part do you think is bullshit?

They tried to run the Ford 427 FE series of engines in Top Fuel back in the sixties. The engine block wouldn't survive a single pass. Same thing with the Boss 429 and the big block Chevy. The earlier 392 HEMI had buckets of bottom end strength also and it was copied by the aftermarket and used in Top Fuel for many years.

For making power no conventional combustion chamber beats the pent roof four valve chamber and a true hemispherical combustion chamber is as bad as you can possibly make a chamber when it comes to brake specific fuel consumption.
                            Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 02-11-2019, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Go fuck yourself.

What part do you think is bullshit?

They tried to run the Ford 427 FE series of engines in Top Fuel back in the sixties. The engine block wouldn't survive a single pass. Same thing with the Boss 429 and the big block Chevy. The earlier 392 HEMI had buckets of bottom end strength also and it was copied by the aftermarket and used in Top Fuel for many years.

For making power no conventional combustion chamber beats the pent roof four valve chamber and a true hemispherical combustion chamber is as bad as you can possibly make a chamber when it comes to brake specific fuel consumption.
                              The FE 427 cammers were pretty competetive but Ford failed to support them the way Hemi got mopar support.

The Shotgun 429 was never real competative because it came out after hemi had years of development, support and experience. Then Ford pulled the plug on all racing shortly after thereafter.

GM didnt officially race much in the 60s so the BBC faced similar support issues, though without a hemi style head it wasn't going to be competative any way.

To say these motors just exploded and the hemi didnt and thats the only reason hemi was successful is intentionally obtuse.

Comment

Working...
                              X