$1.00 per bulet bullet tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1.00 per bulet bullet tax

Get all the latest Baltimore news, weather and sports. WBAL-TV brings you the best in Maryland news online, anytime.

BALTIMORE -- A mayoral candidate's plan to reduce violence in Baltimore includes a "bullet tax" that he said will increase the cost of committing a crime.

Otis Rolley said he would, if elected, propose a $1 per bullet tax on all bullet purchases in the city. The idea was part of an overall crime plan he unveiled Tuesday.

Rolley also said, according to I-Team lead investigative reporter Jayne Miller, that he's willing to touch what Miller called the third rail of Baltimore politics -- the police budget.

"This is not a revenue enhancement tool," Rolley said of the tax idea. "It's a 'make it difficult for you to buy bullets in the city' tool."

The bullet tax is part of Rolley's public safety plan, which includes a change in how the city treats some drug use. He wants to make possession of small amounts of marijuana a summary offense. That would treat the offense more like public drunkenness than a drug crime, Miller reported.
    Click To Comment
    PDF: The Rolley Plan To Reduce Crime In Baltimore

"A lot of time, energy and effort is wasted by our courts and police officers spending time on petty crime," Rolley said. "I want them to focus on quality of life. I want them to focus in on the most violent offenders."
    SURVEY
    A Baltimore mayoral candidate proposes a tax on bullets as part of a plan to reduce crime. Do you consider that an effective option as part of a larger plan?
    Yes
    No
    Results | Disclaimer | E-Mail

Rolley promises more efficient policing in Baltimore, Miller reported.

Since 2000, the city has spent $4 billion on policing, but the city's homicide rate hasn't significantly budged, according to Miller's Tuesday report.

In 2000, the homicide rate was 40 per 100,000 people. In 2010, the rate was 36 per 100,000 people -- still among the highest in the country.

"It's more than fair to ask whether that's been a good investment, and my answer would be no," Rolley said of the $4 billion figure.

Rolley said he is willing to consider spending less on policing if it's part of what he called a "bigger plan."

"If you make cuts in public safety, you have to enhance other areas so you enhance public safety. Right now, we're not doing that."

Rolley said the bullet tax would cause a decrease in "random firings that too often happen around holidays" and put a high price tag on the cost of committing a crime.
    "This is not a revenue enhancement tool. It's a 'make it difficult for you to buy bullets in the city' tool."
    - Otis Rolley

"While the courts have consistently ruled against significant gun control legislation, there is still a way to decrease crime: substantially increase the cost of its commission," Rolley's plan states.

"Increasing the cost of guns won't work, because many criminals don't purchase new guns, and they can be borrowed or even rented in some areas," his plan states.

Minutes after WBALTV.com posted this story, our friends on Facebook swiftly shared their reaction.

Judy Lloyd wrote, "Taxing those trying to protect their homes or hunt? How about a tax on stupidity?"

Danny Kutrick wrote, "I almost shot my drink through my nose. Criminals don't by ammo from a store."

Jeneene Precious Richardson-Rogers wrote, "How can it hinder crime if a majority of the crimes committed are with illegal handguns? So, how would they collect a tax for bullets when the only people it would hurt is the ones who are legally able to buy guns and not the criminal?"

Rolley, a Democrat, served as the city's planning director from 2003 to 2007.

The primary will be held in September

Read more: http://www.wbaltv.com/politics/28595...#ixzz1Sf9w9JdE
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Yay... another revenue generator that doesn't solve anything, just pumping more of our money into a government that will mishandle it.

Comment

Just go to another city.

Comment

"This is not a revenue enhancement tool"
        Bullshit...

Comment

If that ain't the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. The first bullet bought under that law has a certain mayoral candidate's name on it.
          How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by Gargamel View Post
            Bullshit...
            I agree with him... they will stop selling bullets completely which means lost revenue. People will just drive to the next town. I wonder what goes through peoples minds.
            www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

so the rich people can afford to drive to the suburbs and save a few bucks, while the poor have to pay more to defend themselves in the city. you shouldnt have to pay a tax to defend yourself. we do the same thing here in texas with the CHL, we charge a government fee (tax) for the license.

Comment

Baltimore is nearly as fucked as Detroit. I wouldn't expect anything less.
                US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Originally posted by Hobie View Post
                  Baltimore is nearly as fucked as Detroit. I wouldn't expect anything less.
                  x2

Comment

Is it me or is this super easy to see it is not feasible or sensible on any level?

So, they are going to charge 555 dollar tax on a 15 dollar box for 555 22LR. Just one example.

This is going to stop shootings?

Cause clearly the criminals won't travel or order online. They don't know or won't learn how to reload. Also, clearly the local gun shops (if there are any) and other shops that sell ammo can use the lost sales going to other cities.

Also, I'm sure the criminals don't already have ammo to shoot people with over the next several years.

I'm sure if they implement this the criminals will just resort to knives. Riiiggghht.
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Hurray, a new market for organized crime.

Comment

Must have listened to Chris Rock:

EDIT: NSFW for language (As if anyone should be surprised)

Men have become the tools of their tools.
                        -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

So how exactly is this not a violation of the second amendment? He should be tried for treason.

Comment

Lmao!

Originally posted by mosfet View Post
                            must have listened to chris rock:

Edit: Nsfw for language (as if anyone should be surprised)

./ ____ _ _\.
                            (]]]_ o _[[[)
                            \o_FORD_o/
                            |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                              Just go to another city.
                              Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                              I agree with him... they will stop selling bullets completely which means lost revenue. People will just drive to the next town. I wonder what goes through peoples minds.
                              No doubt. Big "duh!" moment there. It doesn't take hours to drive out of Baltimore.
                              Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                              Is it me or is this super easy to see it is not feasible or sensible on any level?

So, they are going to charge 555 dollar tax on a 15 dollar box for 555 22LR. Just one example.

This is going to stop shootings?

Cause clearly the criminals won't travel or order online. They don't know or won't learn how to reload. Also, clearly the local gun shops (if there are any) and other shops that sell ammo can use the lost sales going to other cities.

Also, I'm sure the criminals don't already have ammo to shoot people with over the next several years.

I'm sure if they implement this the criminals will just resort to knives. Riiiggghht.
                              Criminals will get ammo the same way they get guns, steal or black market. This tax wouldn't do jack.

Poll results from OP article:
                              A Baltimore mayoral candidate proposes a tax on bullets as part of a plan to reduce crime. Do you consider that an effective option as part of a larger plan?
                              Choice Votes Percentage
                              Yes 429 5%
                              No 7,517 95%
                              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Working...
                              X