Programmers enter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Programmers enter

So my work is willing to pay to send me somewhere to learn some coding... Very broad and open for interpretation I know.

I'm wanting to find somewhere local (preferably a half day) to start with python, Java, and c or c++.

Other than some of the local colleges is there anywhere you guys suggest? I've found plent of online sources but if I could get a classroom setting that may work better for me.

Flame on.

Bootcamp!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
      Bootcamp!!!!
      I've heard mixed reviews on them. Being that I'll be coming from no experience I don't see that it could be a negative. Annnnd since the company will pay for it I'd be fine with that too. But I also haven't seen any that are non web development ones which would only be of very minimal use for what I need this for.

Truthfully a powershell, vb, and python course would get the most of the way.

Comment

I'm not a coder by any means but I would think C and C++ would be long outdated. I'm sure there's still old systems using it but unless it's to support something at your work, I'd look at what's new.

I actually just reread your post. Is there something specific they want you to support?

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
          I'm not a coder by any means but I would think C and C++ would be long outdated. I'm sure there's still old systems using it but unless it's to support something at your work, I'd look at what's new.

I actually just reread your post. Is there something specific they want you to support?
          Yeah, its for an in-house system we use. Overall I would need to get familiar with .NET, Powershell, C, C#, Java, Javascript, Python and VB.

If i could get familiar with VB, Powershell, and Python early on though that would help get me in the right direction.

Comment

Isnt python just a prettied up variant of C?

Either way C based programming is probably more common than people realize for embedded hardware.

Comment

Either way C based programming is probably more common than people realize for embedded hardware.
              I have always heard that it was kind of like the grand daddy of programming and that it was always good to have knowledge on it.

Comment

I'd start with Java. It'll give you a solid foundation in object oriented programming without all the bells and whistles of C# (my favorite language for building just about anything heavier than shell scripts) but not quite as bare bones as C/C++. From there it'll be easy to go up to C# and not too bad to go down to C/C++. You can fill in the gaps on Powershell, VB, Python and JavaScript with Google
                Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
                  I have always heard that it was kind of like the grand daddy of programming and that it was always good to have knowledge on it.
                  It's about as close to machine language as you can get without going down to assembly. Powerful and lightweight, which is why it's still popular in systems with limited resources
                  HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
                    I'd start with Java. It'll give you a solid foundation in object oriented programming without all the bells and whistles of C# (my favorite language for building just about anything heavier than shell scripts) but not quite as bare bones as C/C++. From there it'll be easy to go up to C# and not too bad to go down to C/C++. You can fill in the gaps on Powershell, VB, Python and JavaScript with Google
                    Do you recommend anywhere in-particular for learning Java? I know of the big online free resources but since work is willing to pay for it i'd rather find an ass in seat type place but preferably not a college due to it usually being night courses.

Comment

No, no idea. PluralSight is a great resource for learning about specific things, though.
                      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

I took a computer engineering class at A&M my freshman year, spring of 2004. They just hired the guy that developed c++ - Bjorne Strustroup was his name, he was our professor and a complete weirdo. There were probably 350 ppl in the class maybe more, on the first exam 2 ppl of the 350 got an A. I think I made a 25 on that test. He cured me of wanting to program for a living.

Comment

Lol damn
                          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

I used to be able to program vcr's.

Comment

Not even close lol. The c languages are still around for various reasons, one of the main ones being hardware. Python is a "general purpose" language, you can basically do anything with it. But depending on what it is, it may not be very fast. Then again that is also changing, as the hardware itself gets faster and is overcoming that limit, so that the user just won't notice that its running slower, since its still faster than a human can perceive. I'd say if you're looking to learn python, you're good in terms of what's going to be in use for the next 10-15 years. I'm currently learning python three (coming over from python 2) but apparently there isn't a whole lot of difference. Python is also a big one for machine learning these days.
                              WH

Comment

Working...
                              X