For the math people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
    And that's the most important thing. I'm not rich either but I'm going to teach my kids how to be! Jr just turned 18 and is saving a $100 at his first 20+ HR a week job while going to JC. In a few months we will start investing it so when he is my age he can do whatever. I should've started then, but I married his mom and that set me back 15 years!
    Tell me about it...

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
      Tell me about it...
      No I'm doing my best to put that behind me and help my son and daughter. My 2nd wife is much better with money.

Comment

No I'm doing my best to put that behind me and help my son and daughter. My 2nd wife is much better with money.
        I didn't really want you to tell me, I was just agreeing with you...

Comment

This must be that common core garbage some idiot thought up.

The next upgrade to it will be 1+1=3 because you can't leave out the fact that one of the numbers may be a transgender person and it would be wrong to exclude them.
          WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
            This must be that common core garbage some idiot thought up.

The next upgrade to it will be 1+1=3 because you can't leave out the fact that one of the numbers may be a transgender person and it would be wrong to exclude them.
            I chuckled...

Comment

8-10=-2
              -2 is -25% of 8

A bullshit question.

Comment

8 less than 10 = 2.... percentages of 8 is 2/8 or 25 percent.

Fact is it's a trick bullshit question. It would never pass any test of exam theory as a fair question. It's about as lame as the my cousin vinny scene where the lawyer asks the correct timing for a 327 in a 55 bel aire.
                This was the logic that I used to try and back into the solution, however, the arrangement of the question doesn't allow for the negative. In addition, it utilizes the 8 in both statements, making it confusion as to what exactly it is asking.

Originally posted by JV106 View Post
                8-10=-2
                -2 is -25% of 8

A bullshit question.

This was how I explained it to my nephew, however, after re-thinking it, the arrangement and wording of the question does not imply 8-10, primarily due to the less than statement in the question. Now, had the instructor said 8 less 10, then you could make that assumption, less than implies that you are subtracting the first number from the second. The correct wording for the problem would read something along the lines of:

"What percentage of 8, is 8 less than 10"

Or something to that effect. I have a son now, and although he is only a year and a half old, this terrifies me for his education.
                Originally posted by Leah
                Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I can't believe you're spending this much time on this, lmao ... but yeah, as everyone said, complete BS wording.
                  Originally posted by davbrucas
                  I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                    I can't believe you're spending this much time on this, lmao ... but yeah, as everyone said, complete BS wording.
                    Physics and math degree, I build residential housing for a living. I feed on every oportunity to get nerdy......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

On the answer I'd put "Insufficient data"
                      WH

Comment

After careful consideration the correct answer is fuck you and your poorly worded question.

Comment

Comment

Trash question. The only proper answer is one equally as trashy.

Comment

yeah, I told my nephew that I probably would have addressed the issue, in front of the class, with the teacher. Though I wasn't encouraging him to go to that level. I did tell him to tell his teacher that his uncle with a math degree couldn't legitimately figure it out

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                                yeah, I told my nephew that I probably would have addressed the issue, in front of the class, with the teacher. Though I wasn't encouraging him to go to that level. I did tell him to tell his teacher that his uncle with a math degree couldn't legitimately figure it out
                                Did you also make sure to tell him that it's not a difficult problem, it's just poor wording? I can see a smug teacher getting all high and mighty about stumping everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X