Taking care of a new car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking care of a new car

Well, we bought our first new car today. I want to make sure that we take care of it properly from the get go.

We bought a '17 Explorer with White Platinum tri coat paint. The interior is black leather.

What do you guys recommend for paint and interior protection?

Primary concerns/goals

protect and keep the paint looking great
    help prevent the leather from fading and looking worn pre-maturely
    keep exterior plastics from fading
    Last edited by black2002ls; 09-09-2017, 06:08 PM.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

303 protectant for all trim and plastics

Comment

Luxor for leather.

For the exterior, a mild correction and then a wax. Reapply wax every 6 months. About the correction, if you ask over at autopia they'll tell you that most new cars need it. Apparently the outside goes through some shit before they get to the dealership and then the dealership does little if anything to actually protect the finish.
      WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
        Luxor for leather.

For the exterior, a mild correction and then a wax. Reapply wax every 6 months. About the correction, if you ask over at autopia they'll tell you that most new cars need it. Apparently the outside goes through some shit before they get to the dealership and then the dealership does little if anything to actually protect the finish.
        I've done a little reading on autogeek so far. What about sealant?

Anyone have product recommendations for wax?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Unless your car is a garage queen, wax won't last 6 months. Try something like Chemical Guys Jet Seal and layer wax on top.

Comment

They say the sealers leave a "hard candy shine" and the waxes more of a "warm glow shine". I've only ever used waxes, but maybe I'll try sealer some day.

There are lots of different waxes as you well know, and their uses vary wildly. Some are made just to be easy to wipe off, which itself is real nice. Others are harder to get off (when you're doing the waxing) but supposedly last longer. The furthest out I've been able to come up with on autopia forums, is 6 months. They seem to think that after that, it is too degraded and its time to reapply.

I like Griots Best Of Show and Collinite 915. But without the correction first, your results won't look as good as they could have. If you call a pro detailer to just come over and do the light correction, it won't be that much. If he does that and only that. Wash it first and wax yourself it as soon as he says its ready for it. Don't know what he'd say, I always just make sure all the compound is gone and then go at it.

Collinite Marque D'Elegance Carnauba Paste Wax No. 915 - Long-lasting carnauba wax protection! That's not an oxymoron. Collinite's Marque D'Elegance Carnauba Paste Wax lasts significantly longer than many carnauba waxes thanks to its high carnauba ...

Another really nice one is HD Speed. I love that stuff for flip cars, gets you real nice results for minimal work. Can't say how long it lasts though, always sold the car and then taking care of the finish is their concern now.
            WH

Comment

I think I'm going to wash, clay, and wax/seal

I need to pick up some clay and lubricant.

What are you guys using for wash? I've used Meguiars gold class in the past, but the more I read on autogeek and autopia, a shampoo is better. I've got the Blackfire wash/dry kit in my cart on autopia
              Last edited by black2002ls; 09-10-2017, 01:29 PM.

Comment

damn there is a metric shit ton of information out there about sealants.

I'm going to stick with my Meguiars gold class wash for now.

Wash, clay bar, sealant (still trying to figure out what to use here. spray on wipe off, paste, etc), then follow with collinite #915

Comment

IMO, most of what you'll get is going to be personal preference. For leather care, I use Blue Magic leather cleaner and conditioner. I use to use the all-in-one products but found the two step to leave the leather feeling better. For wash, I use what ever car wash I grab and add plenty of extra in the bucket. It's soap, all it needs to do is lift the dirt and wash it away so I probably pour 3-5 times the recommended amount just because. I've used Mother's and Meguiar's clay bars with the car wash as the lube. I have used carnuba wax but as mentioned, it only lasts a few months plus if you get it on black trim, it'll leave a white residue that's touch to remove. I've also used Meguiar's synthectic wax and have had good results with it. I'm not really into the whole sealants, expensive ceramic this and that since I wash and detail my rides regularly.

When I use the DA polisher I use Meguiar's professional products (I forget which ones at the moment)

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                    IMO, most of what you'll get is going to be personal preference. For leather care, I use Blue Magic leather cleaner and conditioner. I use to use the all-in-one products but found the two step to leave the leather feeling better. For wash, I use what ever car wash I grab and add plenty of extra in the bucket. It's soap, all it needs to do is lift the dirt and wash it away so I probably pour 3-5 times the recommended amount just because. I've used Mother's and Meguiar's clay bars with the car wash as the lube. I have used carnuba wax but as mentioned, it only lasts a few months plus if you get it on black trim, it'll leave a white residue that's touch to remove. I've also used Meguiar's synthectic wax and have had good results with it. I'm not really into the whole sealants, expensive ceramic this and that since I wash and detail my rides regularly.

When I use the DA polisher I use Meguiar's professional products (I forget which ones at the moment)
                    Thanks. My head is spinning from all of the stuff I have read. This product, that product, these products.

Comment

After talking with some folks on Autopia, here is my plan.

Wash, IronX, rinse, clay, wash, then hit it with Wolfgang deep gloss liquid seal. I was hoping to have all of the products here by this weekend, however, it looks like that isn't going to happen

Comment

I'm just about to do this myself. Wanted to do it this weekend but it may be too hot.

I'm using the Chemical Guys V line polishes, CG White Light Glaze, CG Jetseal, then Collinite 845 wax. I'll let you know how it turns out.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Well, everything showed up this week. I got started at 8 AM, finished by 10.

All I can say is WOW. I may never wax a car again.

I started with turtle wax bug and tar remover and then washed using the two bucket method (grit guard in the bottom of both) rinsed and then sprayed it with IronX. I let the IronX dwell, light agitation with a sponge and dwell, then rinse. After that I followed with Mother's clay bar. Rinse after they clay, dried with a waffle weave towel and I went after it with the wolfgang deep gloss liquid sealant. I did everything, paint, trim, glass, and wheels.

Holy shit the pearl in the paint pops now!

Comment

No good advice, but I must say that one of the happiest days of vehicle ownership for me is when my car finally accumulates enough dings and scratches that I don't care about keeping it perfect anymore.

Anyways...good luck. The garage is probably a far better protectant than any product.

Comment

Originally posted by ruffdaddy View Post
                              no good advice, but i must say that one of the happiest days of vehicle ownership for me is when my car finally accumulates enough dings and scratches that i don't care about keeping it perfect anymore.

Anyways...good luck. The garage is probably a far better protectant than any product.
                              this x a billion

Comment

Working...
                              X