Ruger American Ranch .300 Blackout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruger American Ranch .300 Blackout

We've got a coyote problem - 4 chickens in the last two days. They've taken 9 chickens so far. I've got a bunch of traps to set out but I need something bigger than a .22 10/22 to take down a coyote. It also has to be super quiet...

So I just ordered one of these:

Ruger American Ranch .300 Blackout 10+1

It's bolt-action and I plan to order a suppressor next. It's super quiet when suppressed. Shooting starts at 1:40 - the real display is at 2:30 - crazy quiet.

It also takes AR-style mags so I can buy a wider range of magazines for it, not that I need high capacity for the intended purpose.
    Last edited by TX_92_Notch; 11-23-2018, 12:12 PM.

A 22 through the chest kills them every time but it may not drop them on the spot. Even though I despise coyotes I believe in humanely killing any animal.

I recently picked up a Ruger 77/357 for the same intended purpose and seriously considered the gun that you bought. For me loading for 357 is easier than loading for 300 Blackout.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
      A 22 through the chest kills them every time but it may not drop them on the spot. Even though I despise coyotes I believe in humanely killing any animal.

I recently picked up a Ruger 77/357 for the same intended purpose and seriously considered the gun that you bought. For me loading for 357 is easier than loading for 300 Blackout.
      I didn't want to take any chances with a .22 - I won't get many clean shots at them and I want to pretty much know they're dropping if I get a clean hit.

I don't load and don't see myself loading any time soon (I have 5 kids so time is pretty much non-existent) so I wasn't worried about that aspect.

My number one goal was getting as close to silent as possible while not completely breaking the bank doing so.

Comment

Good choice. I love the Ruger American Ranch rifles because of the fact that they use "AR" pattern mags. I kinda want to get one but haven't decided on what caliber yet; .223, 6.5 Creedmore, or .300 Blackout. Just curious but why the silencer?

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
          Good choice. I love the Ruger American Ranch rifles because of the fact that they use "AR" pattern mags. I kinda want to get one but haven't decided on what caliber yet; .223, 6.5 Creedmore, or .300 Blackout. Just curious but why the silencer?
          Be careful - not all of the American Ranch rifles accept AR style mags. Some take the Ruger rotary-style 5 rd mags. They're a bit cheaper but you're forced into the proprietary Ruger mag that has less-than-stellar reviews.

Regarding the suppressor, neighbors are happiest when they're unaware.

Comment

Ive got a 300blk, tons of subs, a can, and a thermal optic. Sounds like a good time to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
              We've got a coyote problem - 4 chickens in the last two days. They've taken 9 chickens so far. I've got a bunch of traps to set out but I need something bigger than a .22 10/22 to take down a coyote. It also has to be super quiet...

So I just ordered one of these:

It's bolt-action and I plan to order a suppressor next. It's super quiet when suppressed. Shooting starts at 1:40 - the real display is at 2:30 - crazy quiet.

It also takes AR-style mags so I can buy a wider range of magazines for it, not that I need high capacity for the intended purpose.
              I wonder how many chickens they will get over the course of the next 6 -12 months?

Comment

Ruger American Ranch .300 Blackout

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                Ive got a 300blk, tons of subs, a can, and a thermal optic. Sounds like a good time to me.

Come get some!!

PS - got a good recommendation for ammo purchases?

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                  I wonder how many chickens they will get over the course of the next 6 -12 months?

Gotta start the process (silencer approval) some time. My donkey must’ve been asleep at the wheel when the coyote got two out of my pen. The other two were free ranging in the yard so the donkey is of no use there.

Comment

Gotta start the process (silencer approval) some time. My donkey must’ve been asleep at the wheel when the coyote got two out of my pen. The other two were free ranging in the yard so the donkey is of no use there.
                    Just messing with you. Where abouts are you located?

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                      Just messing with you. Where abouts are you located?
                      I live on 8 acres smack in the middle of Rowlett (not that I'm planning to shoot the rifle in city limits...).

There is a fairly large creek that runs through this part of Rowlett and ends up in Ray Hubbard. The creek is in a sizable green belt and a solid portion of our property is heavily wooded within that green belt. The coyote, bobcat, etc. have game trails along the creek and they pop out onto our property to prey on my chickens. The neighbors have small sheep and they lost 8 mama sheep in one day several years ago.

We've got 4 Nigerian Dwarf goats but the chickens are a much easier target so the goats have been safe thus far.
                      Last edited by TX_92_Notch; 11-28-2018, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Be careful - not all of the American Ranch rifles accept AR style mags. Some take the Ruger rotary-style 5 rd mags. They're a bit cheaper but you're forced into the proprietary Ruger mag that has less-than-stellar reviews.

Regarding the suppressor, neighbors are happiest when they're unaware.
                        Good to know about the American. And makes sense for your reasoning for wanting this setup.

Comment

Big Bore air rifle. It has it all..

Comment

I'm game for sure but it may be a couple of weeks before I can get out on a Friday evening. Only thing I'd like to have extra is a call to try and draw em in.

Shoot me a PM if you wanna really talk about it.

Comment

Im down, suppressors are in the back.

Comment

Working...
                              X