DMZ setting??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMZ setting??

Replacing my ASUS router with Rt-AC3100.

Do any of you guys have your modem setup to DMZ? Buddy of mine is helping me change up my router/modem setting. I have never done this. I have just connected my router to RG and run your normal setup it says on quick setup. I run everything off of router. I turn off the WIFI on the modem.

So now with DMZ setup on my MODEM, having a little more hardtime setting up the router with all connected devices. Port forwarding cameras and such.

Is this DMZ worth it, or should I go back to normal way of setting it up. Or is DMZ more secure?

Thanks

Anything you put in DMZ(Demilitarized Zone) is completely open to the innertubes and without the benefit of the firewall. I do NOT recommend it for anything other than testing purposes.

What are you trying to do?

Comment

Nothing fancy. On how I understood it from him, was it is pushing all the traffic straight to my router and letting its firewall do the work besides modem?

Mentioned more secured. I have no issues setting up my modem/router back to default and setting up the normal way I've done before, which is the "quick setup" I have done in past.

also, would installing the merlin ddwrt on it is worth it

Comment

Ok, I thought he meant something different by the verbiage. He's saying to set the modem in bridge and let the router handle DHCP, and this is perfectly safe.

Comment

we set modem to dmz and the allowed application as the router.
          Then checked the "Allow all application" box.

Did not do any "bridge" changes in the modem.

Comment

main issue is getting my wireless cameras to stay up. I can't view them off of my home network. Which is why I'm debating on going back the normal way.

Comment

Set it to bridge and try again.

Comment

NO bridge mode for my modem(ATT-5268ac).

Read that dmz is close to bridge mode there is?

Feel like going back to normal cuz I'm going nuts with this stuff..ha

Comment

return your router and buy modem router combo and don't rent one from ATT?

Comment

DMZ is not a bridge mode, its still a NAT. It allows a single host to appear public. Dont do this. This setup is archaic and stupid.

Fix your camera application, or VPN into your home network.

Comment

yea, I'm going to go back to way I've been doing it. This shit is not my cup of tea. What I get trying something new I have no business trying.

thanks

Comment

what was your reason for doin it in the first place?

Comment

talking with buddy about getting new router since my other the wifi started to drop at random. Started little over a year ago. Just recently got worse. It dropped for almost a whole day one time till I got home to reboot dang thing. Tried multiple changes from reading threads. He just asked how I setup and mentioned for me to try this way which is how he has it.

Comment

are you on dsl or their uverse?

Comment

uverse

with their 5268ac RG. I have WIFI on it turned off, and always have. Always used 3rd party router.

Comment

Working...
                              X