Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
    Let her play with it all she wants.
    "play" and "guns" don't mix. Especially when we are talking about kids full of curiosity.

He let me play with it yesterday. Oh well, he wont mind
    Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
      "play" and "guns" don't mix. Especially when we are talking about kids full of curiosity.

He let me play with it yesterday. Oh well, he wont mind
      Play isn't the best wording. I've seen this suggested on several firearm specific forums. If the child wants to see a gun they will let them but take the opertunity to teach and reinforce gun safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
        Play isn't the best wording. I've seen this suggested on several firearm specific forums. If the child wants to see a gun they will let them but take the opertunity to teach and reinforce gun safety.
        Agreed to a point anyways, but here's the deal in this case. He is to be a visitor in this home. This is not something that you can just teach a kid over a few months or so. This is something that needs to be taught by the parents for a life time. A way of life in the home if you will.

Take them to the range and find something they can shoot like a .22. Show them how to shoot, clean and respect the gun. Take them on hunting trips. First only you carry till they get the hang of it The list goes on and on, but to let them see the gun every time they ask and you just being a visitor is only asking the child to be curious. Curious George is a danger with guns around.

Its a way of life, not amusement.
        Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSnake View Post
          Agreed to a point anyways, but here's the deal in this case. He is to be a visitor in this home. This is not something that you can just teach a kid over a few months or so. This is something that needs to be taught by the parents for a life time. A way of life in the home if you will.
          I agree 100%. My comment was more a general statement about gunowners with curious children and not this specific case. As a visitor this is something that really needs to be discused with the parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
            there still isn't a big gun culture
            I was going to argue, but you generally have a point. Nearly everyone in PA I know (which is a fair amount since that's where I was born and have a lot of family there) uses their weapons to kill for hunting or rabid/animals animals/reptiles. The shotguns are in the bedroom, but guns are not high on anyone's priority list. (There are still a lot of folks who love them, in fact on thehighroad.org I do a lot of accessory deals with people from PA)

One thing is for sure, talk with the parent(s) of the child and see what THEY WANT. Their kid, I'm making an assumption it is their place so it should be by their rules.

Where in PA are you moving?
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Littlestown PA. The parent wants the gun unloaded with the ammo in a completely separate location.

rock|me|hard place

A completely unloaded gun is completely useless.

Thanks for the link Yale, I'm browsing around now.

It may be easier just to pick up a handgun and get a safe like one linked above...

Comment

Working...
              X