Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buffing out headlights: Whats your process?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffing out headlights: Whats your process?

I end up having to restore a lot of headlights. I've used the kits, my own methods, even taken them to places that do it for a small fee. Usually I'm not quite satisfied with the way they look.

What do you do when its time to take the drill or buffer, and knock all that oxidization haze off of a set of headlights?

Does anyone here spray them with clear afterwards? I haven't gotten very far into that last step, so maybe that is what I'm missing.
    WH

3M kit, hit with clear.

Comment

is this for that chevy truck or something old? or your chevy cruze?

if its something old like the truck, just buy new head lights.

i know you get bored and do shit, but just install new headlights.
      THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

I've used the kits, but headlights can be found so cheap now that I typically just buy a new set. No need for OEM. If I can get a sub-$100 set that lasts two years, I'm good with that.

Comment

Off! bug spray

Spray, wipe, and done.

Comment

600 grit and clear. Done

Comment

Once you use bug spray you won't use another method again. It doesn't work on really badly etched or pitted, just the yellow and haze. It takes about 30 seconds using a few paper towels.

Comment

I used one of the kits, 3m I believe, and was pretty satisfied with it. It was the one that has 3-4 different grits of paper and buffing compound and the drill attachment. Now after a wash, I just use the buffing pad with some Meguiars plastic restorer.

Unfortunately I don't have any before/after pics but my headlights were pretty bad and this managed to salvage them with decent results.

Prior to this I used another kit that you finish by wiping some clear liquid with the supplied towellette(sp)...not sure what it was. While the results looked really good, I don't know how long it lasted since I got rid of the car.

Comment

Sand, sand, sand, sand, buff, buff, wax / clear / coat whatever method.
                  www.facebook.com/hilldetailworks

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post
                    is this for that chevy truck or something old? or your chevy cruze?

if its something old like the truck, just buy new head lights.

i know you get bored and do shit, but just install new headlights.
                    Cruz must be somebody else. For the 87 chevy, I'm trying out a new set of LEDs. We'll see how it works out. I'm always flipping stuff. For instance last month it was 01 lexus, 04 land rover. Right now I got an 03 expedition, hope to have it gone by the end of next week. So that's why I'm asking. They almost always have hazy headlights. Looking for that perfect method to make them be all they can be.

Originally posted by Scott Mc View Post
                    600 grit and clear. Done
                    Which clear? Autozone rattle can, or clear with a hardener? How many coats, and do you polish the clear and with what polish?
                    WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                      Cruz must be somebody else. For the 87 chevy, I'm trying out a new set of LEDs. We'll see how it works out. I'm always flipping stuff. For instance last month it was 01 lexus, 04 land rover. Right now I got an 03 expedition, hope to have it gone by the end of next week. So that's why I'm asking. They almost always have hazy headlights. Looking for that perfect method to make them be all they can be.

Which clear? Autozone rattle can, or clear with a hardener? How many coats, and do you polish the clear and with what polish?
                      I used a rustoleum clear from wal mart on some jeep headlights. It was UV resistant and non yellowing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
                        Off! bug spray

Spray, wipe, and done.
                        Yep! http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=58285

Comment

one of the problems I see from a lot of the kits is people overheat the plastic and cause spider cracks all through them. They usually show up a few days or weeks later, and the whole headlight looks like shit. Also, like some have mentioned, once you polish it out, you should seal it with a UV resistant clear. I use to be against clearing headlights, but since I started doing it they've lasted for years. I use PPG 2002 clear out of a detail gun, but I'm sure there are cheaper methods.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Sam's Club does both headlights for $30 with sealant and includes a warranty. Had mine done 1.5 years ago and they still look perfect.
                            Originally posted by davbrucas
                            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I recently tried the 3M kit and was very pleased with the results. What sealer are y'all talking about that needs to be put onto the lenses after you polish them?
                              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Working...
                              X