No announcement yet.

Official Netflix streaming thread! Post up your picks and new stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Brzenk is consumed by one question. A living legend in a sport he helped popularize, Brzenk has gone 25 years as the undefeated armwrestling world champion. At 40, he is torn as to whether he should retire while he is still on top or succumb to the inevitable, a loss to a new champion. Having traveled to over 120 countries over the course of his legendary 25 year career he has unrelentingly pursued the best competitors the world over and has beat them all. Pulling John, a feature length verite documentary shot over four years witnesses the mythical world of armwrestling where 2 titans battle in pursuit of a living god. Alexey Voevoda is a 23 year old from Sochi, Russia who respects the traditional soviet traits of discipline coupled with athletic prowess. Educated in the sport of armwrestling from a young age, Voevoda, well aware of the cold war era victories of American John Brzenk, has dedicated his life to toppling the legend. Travis Bagent is a 26 year old man with an undaunted spirit despite a lifetime of hardship. His father and mentor, 'Big Arm' Boyd passed two important things to his young son, armwrestling and armwrestling legend, John Brzenk. Pulling John follows Travis's personal journey as he rises through the ranks toward an ultimate battle between two adversaries that stand in his way to greatness, Alexey Voevoda and John Brzenk. Pulling John is a sweat-drenched uncompromising journey that steers you through the personal journey of a living legend, two titans and the rise and fall of their glory.
    Really good documentary. I never thought arm wrestling would be so interesting. I was wrong. Watch this.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• The stuff of gladiatorial battle is here: good versus evil, right versus wrong, nerd versus... super-nerd? At any rate, it's a more entertaining showdown than most fictional movies can muster. The King of Kong is the saga of Steve Wiebe, a Redmond, Washington dweeb who sets a new record in the video game Donkey Kong, only to see his accomplishment challenged by the grand poobahs of the gaming establishment. And if you don't know how pernickety the grand poobahs of the gaming establishment can be, well, one of the pleasures of this movie is finding out about this collection of oddballs. It seems Wiebe has toppled a score that has stood since 1982, when eminent "Gamer of the Century" Billy Mitchell set it, and Mitchell isn't too happy about being overthrown. A black-mulleted showboat, Mitchell provides the perfect counterpoint to Wiebe's mild-mannered family man, and the smaller fish around him are no less colorful. This is one of those movies you watch in delighted disbelief, marveling that such people exist--and that they gladly allowed themselves to be filmed. Director Seth Gordon does an important thing in presenting this world of eccentrics: he doesn't mock them, or provide editorial nudging; he simply lets them be. The result is an ingratiating classic. --Robert Horton
      The other great documentary I've seen this year. Both "Pulling John" and "A Fistful of Quarters" are probably the best documentaries I've seen this year.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• I just watched Pulling John too, and agree it was pretty good!

I'm going to look up a couple of the other suggestions and will try to throw out a couple of my own.

Comment

• Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post

Really good documentary. I never thought arm wrestling would be so interesting. I was wrong. Watch this.
          Watched it last week when a co-worker recommended it to me. Great documentary. Never thought I could be so happy for a Russian.
          "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

• I've had The King of Kong in my que for awhile but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by talisman View Post
              I've had The King of Kong in my que for awhile but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.
              i liked it except how serious players were taking the arcade game! just seemed childish to me watching grown men playing it

Comment

• Originally posted by JMAC View Post
                "Exit through the gift shop" one of my favorite documentaries.
                Very good documentary! That french dude pissed me off at the end though! Thinking he's an artist now.
                Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Comment

• Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                  For an obviously low-budget film, 'Exam' was pretty solid and it's streamed on Netflix.
                  exam was a real good movie i thought, if you liked it, you should try the machinist
                  first class white trash

Comment

• I didn't read through the last couple pages, but for those of you who haven't seen "Limitless", it's streaming on there now, pretty neat flick.

Comment

• The Siege is now on streaming for those who never watched it. Damn good flick
                      The hand that feeds, bleeds.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Take Me Home Tonight is pretty funny. I got my que expanded Thursday night when I saw all the new movies and shows.

They also have The X-men and Spiderman cartoon show from 94 that was on Fox at the time. Probably two of the best drawn and produced cartoons of the mid 90's with Batman: The Animated Series starting it all.
                            Originally posted by talisman
                            I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                            Originally posted by AdamLX
                            If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                            Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                            Because fuck you, that's why
                            Originally posted by 80coupe
                            nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                            Originally posted by Rick Modena
                            ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                            Originally posted by Jester
                            Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

• I've never seen scarface...perhaps I should fix that tonight. Damn me for sleeping all day.
                              "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

• Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                                I've never seen scarface...perhaps I should fix that tonight. Damn me for sleeping all day.
                                Don't bother. Just watch the big Lebowski.

Comment

Working...
                                X