Tex Plex /Slim Shady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tex Plex /Slim Shady

Went out to Tex Plex today in Midlo and not to bad. I think they are open all week now and I think total admission was 35.00. Rode about 3 hours and I think I missed a big track on the outer edge. Giant ass UTV trail, a mud bog trail, Jeep trail, and like 5 or 6 two wheeled trails. One looked to be BMX, a pit bike one, and four MX trails. One was a supercross track they were prepping so no riding on it. Hard pack on the main bike trails but I had a good time. I like if I go down out there there is a good chance they will notice on the tracks and they tag your arm. The two normal tracks had nice big flat tabletops in a lot of the spots so I dig that. Will be back.

I went out to Shady Grove MX three weeks ago. When I pulled in I thought man they have cleaned up some and expanded. Holy mother of god there were some messed up areas on the back side. Looked like they had drove meat tenderizers down the main straight and they were under water in places. Maybe it was the rain but the tracks in the dirt were a huge problem. Also there were areas on the back side of jumps that they had literally just pushed dirt up to and created lips. No bueno on the back side/landing. If I owned that place it would make so much money. I swear though they were steady working on it, apparently they need some tips.

My new to me 08 KTM 450 SXF died at shady after a half lap , then snapped a 520 chain in half when the battery died/no kick starter, and I was trying to push start it. Then after slapping a new chain on I realized what happened, the top shock bolt fell out, let the arm drop, and pinched the chain on a jump. Maybe it was a sign to get out of Shady. As I was tearing it down the right side rear subframe was snapped, then I realized it had a hot start finger cable thingy that was pulled back and wound up (why it wouldn't start). New subframe, new air box, new hot start button, ran like a champ today. I don't think junior jumped it hard so I finished off the fork seals today. I don't think my fork saver is going to do shit. I need to loosen the forks and square them anyways. How I missed so many things I have no idea, but this thing will be like new soon, glad he knocked 1200 off! Now, to do my own forks, or pay a guy.........
    Whos your Daddy?

When you say do your own forks... do you just mean the seals? I've done them before, it's really not hard, but you certainly want the right tools (drivers) that are the right size for the forks. I've also installed aftermarket internals in them too, but only the cartridge type, not a full blown dismantle and revalve of what's in there.
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
      When you say do your own forks... do you just mean the seals? I've done them before, it's really not hard, but you certainly want the right tools (drivers) that are the right size for the forks. I've also installed aftermarket internals in them too, but only the cartridge type, not a full blown dismantle and revalve of what's in there.
      I've done several fork seals in the past on several street and dirt bikes using pretty much regular everyday tools and always found a way to get it done without buying specialized tools. Few months back both fork seals on my 97 CR250R starting leaking like an open wound after literally the first ride since I did all the bushings (not surprising given how badly beat down the bike was when I got it). I heard that the 97 model had some fancy new forks that were a major pain to rebuild so I watched numerous videos on YouTube and decided to try rebuilding them myself. Piece of cake. Took me about 3 hours. They work like new.

Comment

Yeah for sure you *can* do it without the proper seal drivers... I have done it that way before too. It is just easier when you have them.
        Originally posted by stevo
        Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
          Yeah for sure you *can* do it without the proper seal drivers... I have done it that way before too. It is just easier when you have them.
          If course the KTM is 48 and my Ducati is 49/50. I was planning on taking some dive out of of the front of the Tard. Would be good practice on the KTM.

Edit, I just looked and they have super cheap universal drivers.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Ordered a fancy seal driver kit, seal protector kit, a cool custom wrench for the KTM forks, and a pro action fork rebuild kit.................sold the bike tonight to some guy that just wanted the engine. I bought a 16 350 SXF and while I am on the fence about 350/450 power, I just figured I didn't need a back up bike. The fuel injection is nice, and it has some power at RPM but not quite the same as the 450, like I can be lazier riding the bigger bike. I may end up trading my new one off for a 450 but we shall see I need ot give it some more time. 59 hours, dyno tuned on VP, and Envo suspension, it is a fantastic set up and super clean. I have wanted a 350 for so long, maybe I just built it up in my head I guess!

To be fair, a lot of it may have had to do with track set up. Like they had "prepped" the track Friday and their idea of prepped and mine are different. It was like a barely plowed field with boulders the size of my head. I told the guy running the place to let me know when they did prep because I was going to come ride the day before. He said his machine had broken so they used the grader. After about 10 laps with the UTV it was almost bearable. So, maybe, I had to focus on staying upright a little more than prior outings and skewed my perception.
            Last edited by kingjason; 09-14-2021, 11:48 AM.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Do you find the KTM motor on that 350 is super noisy , like sounds terrible on the clutch side and the magnito side? I have a FC 350 (Husqvarna) that I think sounds terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by TX21 View Post
                Do you find the KTM motor on that 350 is super noisy , like sounds terrible on the clutch side and the magnito side? I have a FC 350 (Husqvarna) that I think sounds terrible.
                Pretty sure that's the case with most KTM motors. My 690 is pretty noisy, but I guess that's to be expected out of a single cylinder 690 that makes 70hp. Everyone I know that has a KTM or Husqvarna dirt or dual sport also has noisy engines.

Comment

Not really, but my last 3 bikes were KTM. I really haven't thought they sounded off at all from my Yamahas and Kawis. Plus, after riding my Ducati Hyper for a while the clutch on the KTM sounds silent!
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

TexPlex announced they are closed permanently as of today. The land has been sold to a real estate developer apparently and it will soon be bulldozed and turned into another residential development.

Comment

Do people still ride the trails off of 360 near the airport?

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                        Legally? I wouldn't know anything about those trails that run from damn near Fort Worth all the way to downtown Dallas off Trinity Blvd that basically follow the TRE tracks....nope....never heard of em. :P

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                          TexPlex announced they are closed permanently as of today. The land has been sold to a real estate developer apparently and it will soon be bulldozed and turned into another residential development.
                          Mother Fuckers. I bought my Ace 900 XP and KTM 350 just to ride out there. I was going to load up and head out there this week. They had a rave the other night, must of been their last hurrah. Now where the hell am I going to ride that's close?

I think that's why I enjoy street bikes so much, don't really need a track. I bought a minty 16 FZ1 and think I have finally found the perfect bike. At least I am past retirement so if I get in trouble I am just going to bow out gracefully. I have been literally focusing on riding the damn speed limit. Bike will do 86 in first gear and sounds like a Indy car.
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                            I was legendary on Pirate 4x4 for a short while. Rolled out there with the FT Worth Bomb Squad in my Jeep that looked like a Willys military Jeep, slightly modified. We stopped and badged a few folks asking questions so they could GPS the area for Air One, located some stolen vehicles, etc. There was lots of bad shit going on-on the weekends. I laughed when the post got stickied talking about the Military rolling around out there stopping people, talking about things to come.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                            X