No announcement yet.

Birddog0347 rescues a Fox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• make sure not to use power steering fluid, put regular ATF in.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
      make sure not to use power steering fluid, put regular ATF in.
      Never heard of that, is that to keep it quieter? Is that what you run in the race car and will I be able to get by without a PS Cooler?
      Originally posted by stevo
      Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

• ford ps pumps were designed for atf, if you put something else in they get noisy and burn up.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

ford ps pumps were designed for atf, if you put something else in they get noisy and burn up.
          Good to know, and likely explains why mine is LOUD...

Stevo

Comment

• If the steering still feels "floaty" or too light, pop the valve spring out and cut a coil (or is it half or 1.5). I did that to mine and made a huge difference. Search the corral for the topic.

Yes, use ATF.
            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
              If the steering still feels "floaty" or too light, pop the valve spring out and cut a coil (or is it half or 1.5). I did that to mine and made a huge difference. Search the corral for the topic.

Yes, use ATF.
              Yeah, I know about the coil cutting... we will see after the rack swap as it's supposed to be the 03/04 cobra rack. I replaced the throttle body today with an Accufab 75mm and have not yet driven it but the throttle response is already better just at idle!

Stevo

Comment

• I have that same rack that I am putting in my Cobra right now. I won't have it back together for a few weeks though. I drove a 2003 GT today and even the rack in it felt much better than any of the older junk.

Originally posted by racrguy
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Originally posted by racrguy
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                  Good to know, and likely explains why mine is LOUD...
                  Never knew that either, probably why mine is loud too.

Car looks good man, came a long ways.

Comment

• Thanks! I went with PS fluid after my research said on the reman pumps it's hard to tell which to use. It's super quiet now and if it goes bad again I'll replace it again.

That said, here's an update... this was Wednesday.

So I got it all installed, and ready to take for an alignment. I was able to work from home yesterday so that I could take it a half a mile away to the shop down the street that does my alignments and is the only place I've paid to do ANYTHING on my car (which is alignment only). So I get in the car yesterday morning around 9:30 to drive the .5 miles there, back out of the garage into the street and already I can tell a massive improvement in steering feel. As I try to straighten up on the road I immediately notice how sketchy and "darty" the car has become with the toe so out of whack. I knew the tires were pretty far toe in, but damn... any steering input over 15 mph and you're going HARD that direction. Especially since I'm coming from and old/busted 4 banger rack to the 04 Cobra unit... The lack of steering pump whine was AWESOME!

I got to the shop and asked for an alignment telling them no rush as I'll just walk home and come back when it's done... they remember the car and the guy was like oh yeah, that one's a PITA since it's got the IRS but I told him what all I changed and said he should not have to worry about the rear or front Caster/Camber since I didn't touch the plates or disconnect the strut from the spindles. I also told them to start the car and let it warm up some before they try to drive it on the rack so it settles into a nice idle (I've been fighting with that a lot lately). They say cool and I walk home and get back to work.

I get a call a couple of hours later saying they had a little problem. Their standard procedure is to drive it first to note what all they need to adjust on the alignment. Well, they got like 1/2 mile away and it died... they put it in a parking lot and I grabbed my laptop and went to check on it. They said it would start and idle but it would turn to a rough idle and then die if you gave it gas.

I got there like 20 minutes later as I was on a meeting and started it up... it seems fine, the WB gauge starts reading correctly and I can give it gas and rev it. I let it idle for a few more minutes then it got really rough and died with throttle. I checked the fuel pressure... very low. Key in the run position but engine off and my loud ass fuel pump was silent. Now I had to get it towed home, without an alignment, and I get to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump.

So... I'm thinking either a 190lph or maybe a 255lph and I guess I should go ahead and do the sending unit while I'm in there? Is there any reason NOT to go 255? The other upside is that I can finally install my trunk mounted battery box and relocate that while I have the tank out.

Stevo

Comment

• no reason not to do the 255

Comment

no reason not to do the 255
                        except it's out of stock at LMR... guess I could check Summit though.

Stevo

Comment

• Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                          except it's out of stock at LMR... guess I could check Summit though.
                          or amazon.

Comment

• Hit me up when you get ready to sell it for pennies on the dollar. I got pennies!

Comment

• Amigo, how did you tackle your e brake? I've read multiple ways just figured I'd see how a pro did it.

Comment

• Originally posted by samuel642000 View Post
                                Amigo, how did you tackle your e brake? I've read multiple ways just figured I'd see how a pro did it.
                                I drove over to JW's house and had him weld my handle for me. I used the LMR e-brake cables and a SN95 (I think) adjuster. I now have my own welder so you're welcome to bring your handle to my house and I'll hook you up.

Stevo

Comment

Working...
                                X