Swiss to vote on $2,800 monthly income for all adults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swiss to vote on $2,800 monthly income for all adults

8 million five-cent coins, representing every person living in Switzerland, were dumped from a truck in Bern by the committee that pushed for a vote on giving all adults a basic income. 3 hr ago| By Reuters

In a move to combat growing pay inequality, Swiss citizens will vote on whether to give every adult in Switzerland a basic income.

BERNE — Switzerland will hold a vote on whether to introduce a basic income for all adults, in a further sign of growing public activism over pay inequality since the financial crisis.

A grassroots committee is calling for all adults in Switzerland to receive an unconditional income of 2,500 Swiss francs — about $2,800 — per month from the state, with the aim of providing a financial safety net for the population.

Organizers submitted more than the 100,000 signatures needed to call a referendum on Friday and tipped a truckload of 8 million five-cent coins outside the parliament building in Bern, one for each person living in Switzerland.

Under Swiss law, citizens can organize popular initiatives that allow the channeling of public anger into direct political action. The country usually holds several referenda a year.

In March, Swiss voters backed some of the world's strictest controls on executive pay, forcing public companies to give shareholders a binding vote on compensation.

A separate proposal to limit monthly executive pay to no more than what the company's lowest-paid staff earn in a year, the so-called 1:12 initiative, faces a popular vote on Nov. 24.

The initiative's organizing committee said the basic income could partly be financed through money from social insurance systems in Switzerland.

The timing of the vote has yet to be announced, pending official guidance from the government.

35% debt-to-GDP and VAT baby!
    Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I love CH. Probably the best part of my former job was going to Zug (just outside of Zurich)a few times a year. Quiet wealth is the name of the game there. All the execs in the office had V8 powered German sedans, but they were all debadged to "fly under the radar". A guy even had a VW Passat with the W8 engine that was debadged. I could tell it wasn't a normal passat because it had quad exhaust.
      Ford
      GM
      Toyota
      VAG

Comment

Originally posted by quikag View Post
        I love CH. Probably the best part of my former job was going to Zug (just outside of Zurich)a few times a year. Quiet wealth is the name of the game there. All the execs in the office had V8 powered German sedans, but they were all debadged to "fly under the radar". A guy even had a VW Passat with the W8 engine that was debadged. I could tell it wasn't a normal passat because it had quad exhaust.
        mmmmmmm......W8 Passat.......gimme

Edit: Or this, the Paheton W12:

Comment

Originally posted by quikag View Post
          W8. Is that a 16 cylinder like int the Bagatti?

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
            W8. Is that a 16 cylinder like int the Bagatti?
            I think its one half of a Bugatti engine, loosely, of course. It's an 8 cylinder. Around 300hp IIRC. Cool engine for a Passat. I don't think they sold too many of them.
            Ford
            GM
            Toyota
            VAG

Comment

interesting - I've got my doubts, but lets see how it plays out.
              US Politics in three words - Divide and Conquer

Comment

Neil, it'd be a lot cooler if it wasn't a passat.

Aaaand I just remembered I own a neon.

Comment

Working...
                X