Bugs in bbq wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugs in bbq wood

How can I keep bugs out of my bbq wood. I’ve got a pile of mesquite that I chopped and hauled to use in the BGE and it looks like I’ve been running a saw mill next to it. ‘Saw dust’ everywhere. Got a bunch of little bore holes in it. Can spray something on it?

You can soak it in formaldehyde, you won't even need beer to get jacked up when you are running the smoker.

Comment

It's just more protein if you cook them!

Maybe those Sentricon things for termites? Or is it carpenter ants?

Comment

Not sure what you can do that's safe for the smoker afterwards, that's a good question. Though burning the wood with the insects would probably be safe. Do you keep the wood on the ground? If so, you should get a wood rack to keep it elevated (more of a prevention thing).

Comment

I might’ve gone for the fermaldahyde idea when I was younger..

I’m not worried about cooking the bugs, that egg goes up to 7 or 800 degrees. I’d just rather not have my pile disappear. That’s probably a nonissue. The wood is away from the house and sitting on the ground. I have other piles of wood that were here when I bought the place - bugs don’t seem to bother those. It’s strange and a bunch of saw dust.

Probably safer to just cook the bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by JV106 View Post
            How can I keep bugs out of my bbq wood. I’ve got a pile of mesquite that I chopped and hauled to use in the BGE and it looks like I’ve been running a saw mill next to it. ‘Saw dust’ everywhere. Got a bunch of little bore holes in it. Can spray something on it?
            tabasco sauce(Capsicum) deters some bugs. can also try sticky traps and bug zappers

Comment

Just fog the whole back yard

Comment

Something tells me everyone always smokes a lot of bugs and never knows it. They're down in the wood or in the cracks where you don't see them. Don't want bug flavored food?
                WH

Comment

small black wasp with what looks like needle eye on their ass . they cut a small hole and lay an egg. messy but no problem . i split all my wood which seems to deter them. i usually go out in the pasture and cut fresh mesquite to cook with.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                    You can soak it in formaldehyde, you won't even need beer to get jacked up when you are running the smoker.
                    LOL...spit my water out when I read this
                    Originally posted by Da Prez
                    Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                    Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

I would suggest trying to mix some pinion wood with it. Of course you would need to be able to identify to separate it when cooking.

Another option would be to take some Dawn dish soap and water and mist the wood with it.

Also, getting it off the dirt would be beneficial as well.

David

Comment

I have some success with spraying the ground under and around my wood racks.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

If ever by an Atwoods they sell bags of Mesquite and Hickory. Makes it easy and clean wood.
                          Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

Try pissing on the wood pile, bugs don't like that.

Comment

Run the wood in the dishwasher first. No need for soap, the rinse cycle should work

Comment

Working...
                              X