Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those of you that live out in the country...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
    Your problem is making perfect the enemy of good enough.

Grab the loaded pistol and go. Problem solved. If they're bringing a damn war then you arent going to win anyways.

Next, the birdshot is still going to be good enough to deter a person. Unless again...they planned for an all out war with you. And even at that...if they planned that well...they're going to win
    All of this. I have a G17 in my nightstand with a good flashlight (with strobe) next to it. The gun has night sights too. If I hear bump in the night, I'm coming at you with it in my undies. I will not take the time to dress, put on shoes, load a gun, etc. There is an M500 with tactical setup with a full tube of defense loads in the cabinet by the bed. The wife gets it when I leave and heads to the kids.

Comment

In that instance, since it’s country, I’d prefer a very available AR pistol with a light and iron sights.
      Originally posted by PGreenCobra
      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
      Originally posted by Trip McNeely
      Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
      dont downshift!!
      Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
        ring sucks. i have one on my shop. a good security cam with lights is where i'm headed. a good dog is priceless in the country . loaded shotgun above bedroom door ready to go . it is an illegal or a meth head looking to break in . knock and hide .
        We recently got one for our house and while it serves the purpose of what we wanted, I would definitely not recommend relying on it for security. If you can't get the cloud feature, it's pointless in my opinion. The only thing I've learned with it so far is that the neighbor's dog likes to piss on my front porch pillar and sets the motion sensor off every time. You cannot adjust contrast either so during the day the street in front of my house is just a bunch of washed out white. I'd definitely pay for a proper system.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
          Well, true. I think my thought process behind this is knowing I'll hit the target every time with the shotgun. I shoot pistols every now and then but it's at a non moving target with me standing still. I bird hunt and shoot skeet all the time so hitting a moving target from a distance is gravy.

Dos this not sound logical? Would I be better off grabbing the AR with 30rd mags when leaving the house?
          Why would you grab an AR and 30rd mags leaving the house?

My whole point is you're overthinking all of this and you already had the solution to your problem loaded on your nightstand.

It wasn't a lack of equipment or loaded weaponry that went wrong...it was a lack of mental preparedness.

Just like juiceweezl said, I'm hoping up in my underwear and grabbing my pistol from the nightstand with a light. I'm not going to mess with preparing for an army of 10 people, I'm not going to grab my thermal...I'm not even grabbing an extra mag. I might check my cameras, but if a loaded magazine with a few loud bangs and possible hit doesnt scare them off...then I'll lock the door and go back to my arsenal. If they are prepared for that then they're going to win anyways.

Comment

bro. joe biden says just walk out on to the porch and fire your shotgun in the air and that should be sufficient.

seriously though, is there not a nice sized dog present to alert you and yours of this kind of stuff?

Comment

First rule of Fight Club...

If you are living in the country, you need motion activated L.E.D lights, mine light up 25 yrds like the day. Most of the time this alone will deter meth heads, naynay knockers and most critters.
              You only need one gun.
              I probably wouldn't have gone outside, they went far enough away to see what you would do and you did it (good and bad).
              Good, they see there is a man living there and your armed,
              bad if they come back they know what to bring and how many and how you react, which door you came out of, etc..
              There are plenty of camera systems that don't need internet.
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Overthinker....

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                  Overthinker....
                  Maybe the first time that has ever been said about a member here...

Comment

Dfw member are over achievers

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                      All of this. I have a G17 in my nightstand with a good flashlight (with strobe) next to it. The gun has night sights too. If I hear bump in the night, I'm coming at you with it in my undies. I will not take the time to dress, put on shoes, load a gun, etc. There is an M500 with tactical setup with a full tube of defense loads in the cabinet by the bed. The wife gets it when I leave and heads to the kids.
                      Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                      Why would you grab an AR and 30rd mags leaving the house?

My whole point is you're overthinking all of this and you already had the solution to your problem loaded on your nightstand.

It wasn't a lack of equipment or loaded weaponry that went wrong...it was a lack of mental preparedness.

Just like juiceweezl said, I'm hoping up in my underwear and grabbing my pistol from the nightstand with a light. I'm not going to mess with preparing for an army of 10 people, I'm not going to grab my thermal...I'm not even grabbing an extra mag. I might check my cameras, but if a loaded magazine with a few loud bangs and possible hit doesnt scare them off...then I'll lock the door and go back to my arsenal. If they are prepared for that then they're going to win anyways.
                      I'm definitely not disputing what you're saying. I guess I was just more comfortable with the shotgun and the pistol as a backup.

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                      First rule of Fight Club...

If you are living in the country, you need motion activated L.E.D lights, mine light up 25 yrds like the day. Most of the time this alone will deter meth heads, naynay knockers and most critters.

I'm headed to the store to run a couple solar powered ones until I can get some wiring ran to the corners of the house. I thought about it being a prank knocker but this is definitely a long way to pull a dangerous prank such as that.

You only need one gun.
                      I probably wouldn't have gone outside, they went far enough away to see what you would do and you did it (good and bad).
                      Good, they see there is a man living there and your armed,
                      bad if they come back they know what to bring and how many and how you react, which door you came out of, etc..

Well crap...

There are plenty of camera systems that don't need internet.

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                      Overthinker....
                      yep

Comment

I’ve had a few of these learning curves in my lifetime.
                        Till this day the craziest thing that’s ever happened was the same with OP, around three or 4 AM but in my case I actually had 4 “hood” you know with the full blown 30 inch wheels limo tent that bullshit. Pull into my driveway and I swear no less than 12 to 15 black guys got out of those cars and are just looking around and are huddled up like planning out something. Call the cops waiting for them pretty much the entire family has harmed in themselves. And are just waiting for those doors to get to the call the cops Walmart waiting for them pretty much the entire family has harmed in themselves. And are just waiting for an intrusion attempt.

And I think last year or so had something similar happene. Now until Dan I’ve always kept my loaded gun in my nightstand which was on the opposite side of my bedroom. And I have a bad habit of turning that same drawer with the gun and ammo in it into a junk drawer and snack drawer. So imagine being in a situation where you need to get your gun quickly it’s dark you’re reaching for a gun but instead you end up grabbing a bag of chips! pissed me the fuck off!

Nowadays I have one of those little chairs in my bedroom what the furr shit on it. and that sits next to my head while I’m sleeping I put my phone my watch and outher devices that need charging but most importantly I keep the CCW on it.

sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                        🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Also, take a walk from the door they knocked on and follow a straight line, look for a trail into bushes/saplings/weeds and see if they left footprints, tramped grass. Kind of get an idea of where they came from and left to. Also if you are out of the city limits, fire off a round or 3 of bird shot into that area if they do it again, fuck'em!

On the motion light, if you are going to run power, I would use switch controlled lights around your access doors and the motions on the perimeters of the house. The L.E.D.'s I bought at Lowes are very bright and use very little power. An they have the usual 3/5/ minute auto on.

Heres the ones I have, they work great, no issues for three years.
                          Shop Good Earth Lighting 180-Degree 125-Wattage Equivalent Hardwired LED Satin Aged Bronze 2-Head Motion-Activated Flood Light with Timer 2138-Lumen in the Motion-Sensor Flood Lights department at Lowe's.com. The Good Earth Lighting LED security lights provide safety and security by illuminating dark exterior areas, such as backyards and driveways. Three different
                          Last edited by Rick Modena; 01-07-2019, 05:55 PM.
                          Originally posted by Silverback
                          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Let me put it out there ghosts?
                            sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                            🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Originally posted by soap View Post
                              Let me put it out there ghosts?
                              I don't think they would knock.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                                In that instance, since it’s country, I’d prefer a very available AR pistol with a light and iron sights.
                                This. I run a suppressed .300blk pistol by the nightstand w/ surefire scout. Gotta make it quiet so you can shoo out/finish the hookers and flush/finish all the blow before the fuzz shows up.

Comment

Working...
                                X