Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those of you that live out in the country...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only think I can offer is that if I lived out in the sticks I would have the baddest flashlight ever. I like to think I already do though but there is always bigger and better. I piss the neighbors off as it is when I take mine out to show people. I would love to have the kind of property to actually utilize them to their potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
      fire off a round or 3 of bird shot into that area if they do it again, fuck'em!
      this
      WRX

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
        Dfw member are over achievers
        inner-city children of promise but without the--without the means for higher education

Comment

Originally posted by Karson View Post
          We recently got one for our house and while it serves the purpose of what we wanted, I would definitely not recommend relying on it for security. If you can't get the cloud feature, it's pointless in my opinion. The only thing I've learned with it so far is that the neighbor's dog likes to piss on my front porch pillar and sets the motion sensor off every time. You cannot adjust contrast either so during the day the street in front of my house is just a bunch of washed out white. I'd definitely pay for a proper system.
          There's an update for that.

Lights, cameras, dog, move faster.
          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
          86 SVO - Sold
          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
            I don't think they would knock.
            You'd be surprised at what ghosts do.

I live in the country, property is fenced, got a big dog that goes apeshit if anyone is within 100 yards of him and guns ready to go. Only weird thing to have ever happened out here was either a mountain lion, or one big ass bobcat.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
              You'd be surprised at what ghosts do.
              You can't put limits on aliens ghosts
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

What's all this horse shit about strobe? Most useless thing ever. I've yet to see a solid, well regarded instructor ever recommend using strobe.

Like a few others have said, you were way over thinking this. Train, train, train. Did I mention train?

Pistol, weapon mounted light, and hand held light. That's all you needed. What you really need is to get into a low light pistol class. You do not want to be figuring out lights/weapon choices when it's for all the marbles.

Jose and I are just a couple of the guys on here that do any sort of training. Come join us in a class sometime. He's already ahead of the class registrations for this year though!

Comment

I want lights and a camera system for what I can't see when I'm not home and what comes around in the dark that wakes me and I couldn't find. However, when I'm about to step out into the unknown, I want a flashlight ready to go but off, a firearm I can control, and I want it dark as shit where I'm coming from and where I'm going. If there's someone lurking, a bright ass flashlight tells them where you are and a lit house inside and outside gives away your position and movements as well. You know your property, you know where your shit is located mostly so moving around in low and no light shouldn't be too tough usually. My first reaction once outside is to take up a position and monitor and listen. If someone is out there, I want to hear them first, not the other way around.

I understand everyones first reaction is to want to light the world up and wake the house, but I prefer the element of surprise. Keep calm, stay quiet and be prepared and for damn sure make sure everyone in the house is on the same page. Also keep your phone on vibrate so as not to spook or give off your position.

I've hidden on a piece of property we own before late at night. No one lives there, and I went over about midnight to do some shooting with one of my Ar rigs and night vision. I was shooting from a spot about 140 yards into the property (that gives me 100 yards to my targets and the backstop just behind them) and had the trees and house to block me decently from road traffic unless you actually turn onto our property. I guess the shots (7.62x39 suppressed that night but still had a good crack when it breaks the sound barrier) spooked some of the neighbors or they thought maybe someone was poaching on their lands. I heard a couple trucks coming down the road at a pretty rapid pace, then they stopped to talk to each other at the neighbors entrance. I sat in the bed of the truck, watched their movements, listened to the mumbles, and basically waited to see if they ever looked like they might turn onto our place as they worked up and down the road several. I was prepared to blind anyone that walked/drove up and positioned in a way to have the defensive. I wasn't intending to be defensive or forceful, but if they thought I was intruding I wanted to have the upper hand until we got it sorted. I keep to myself and mind my own business, I mostly just maintain and mow the place so I don't see the neighbors much. We have 10.5 acres and the 2 on each side of us have 100s each.

Anyway, point is, they never found me or knew I was there. I was legally on my place and doing no wrong, but I took it as an opportunity to monitor and surveillance rather than to alert my presence.

I learned a long long time ago as a little kid running the lake at night with my dad, that it's easier to "see" in the dark than in the light. On a night with little to no boat traffic we'd always kill all lights: navigation, instrument, and cockpit. Once our eyes adjusted we could make out shorelines, land points, etc. It freaks people the fuck out when I take them out at night and start turning stuff off. Their first response is they can't see without the lights. I tell them to wait a few seconds and look around. Then turn the nav and instrument lights on. I ask why they see and it's always the same. They see a few feet. Kill the lights and ask them to look out across the water, they'll see the shores and reflections, make out land masses, see lights on shore that can be used as points of reference, etc. It's unsafe if they're are other boaters for sure, but I'll take being able to see over some guy miles away seeing me. I keep a watch and will turn on lights if I'm within a mile or more of another vessel.
                  Last edited by shumpertdavid; 01-07-2019, 11:55 PM.

Comment

I will only add that in my neck of VA we had 2 KNOWN houses entered into. One I know the person first hand - and the person was sleeping on the couch as soon as the person knew someone was awake they bolted.

2 Days later another home had some stuff stolen in the middle of the night. Both were between 2-5 (first was specifically 4 in the morning)

These happened before Christmas and then bam - no more reports of it.

Also based off monitoring VAPD on the scanner, can confirm both Grayson Co and VAPD have thermal and have used it a few times that I caught to find folks. I know VAPD puts out effort to find folks doing these things, my scanner is too old to be able to monitor Grayson Co. - which is a bummer the really good stuff is often on that net.

Any way - be aware that that VA has someone doing this - just because we don't hear about it anymore - your post makes me believe that person is still floating around - or could be other riff-raff that's moving up this way.
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                      I want lights and a camera system for what I can't see when I'm not home and what comes around in the dark that wakes me and I couldn't find. However, when I'm about to step out into the unknown, I want a flashlight ready to go but off, a firearm I can control, and I want it dark as shit where I'm coming from and where I'm going. If there's someone lurking, a bright ass flashlight tells them where you are and a lit house inside and outside gives away your position and movements as well. You know your property, you know where your shit is located mostly so moving around in low and no light shouldn't be too tough usually. My first reaction once outside is to take up a position and monitor and listen. If someone is out there, I want to hear them first, not the other way around.

I understand everyones first reaction is to want to light the world up and wake the house, but I prefer the element of surprise. Keep calm, stay quiet and be prepared and for damn sure make sure everyone in the house is on the same page. Also keep your phone on vibrate so as not to spook or give off your position.

I've hidden on a piece of property we own before late at night. No one lives there, and I went over about midnight to do some shooting with one of my Ar rigs and night vision. I was shooting from a spot about 140 yards into the property (that gives me 100 yards to my targets and the backstop just behind them) and had the trees and house to block me decently from road traffic unless you actually turn onto our property. I guess the shots (7.62x39 suppressed that night but still had a good crack when it breaks the sound barrier) spooked some of the neighbors or they thought maybe someone was poaching on their lands. I heard a couple trucks coming down the road at a pretty rapid pace, then they stopped to talk to each other at the neighbors entrance. I sat in the bed of the truck, watched their movements, listened to the mumbles, and basically waited to see if they ever looked like they might turn onto our place as they worked up and down the road several. I was prepared to blind anyone that walked/drove up and positioned in a way to have the defensive. I wasn't intending to be defensive or forceful, but if they thought I was intruding I wanted to have the upper hand until we got it sorted. I keep to myself and mind my own business, I mostly just maintain and mow the place so I don't see the neighbors much. We have 10.5 acres and the 2 on each side of us have 100s each.

Anyway, point is, they never found me or knew I was there. I was legally on my place and doing no wrong, but I took it as an opportunity to monitor and surveillance rather than to alert my presence.

I learned a long long time ago as a little kid running the lake at night with my dad, that it's easier to "see" in the dark than in the light. On a night with little to no boat traffic we'd always kill all lights: navigation, instrument, and cockpit. Once our eyes adjusted we could make out shorelines, land points, etc. It freaks people the fuck out when I take them out at night and start turning stuff off. Their first response is they can't see without the lights. I tell them to wait a few seconds and look around. Then turn the nav and instrument lights on. I ask why they see and it's always the same. They see a few feet. Kill the lights and ask them to look out across the water, they'll see the shores and reflections, make out land masses, see lights on shore that can be used as points of reference, etc. It's unsafe if they're are other boaters for sure, but I'll take being able to see over some guy miles away seeing me. I keep a watch and will turn on lights if I'm within a mile or more of another vessel.
                      Lights are just a pin point of your location. Keep in the dark. Dont show your location

Comment

Check out the Wisenet stuff at Sam's, they have 4-16 wired camera systems (the base will monitor 8 or 16 cameras depending on system you get) with 1-2 Tb of storage capacity for reasonable prices ($250-550). They used to be Samsung but switch branding recently

Comment

This is why i have 300 Watt LED lights all around my house.. when i flip that switch it's fucking noon all around my house. Cameras all around with motion detection.. Also.. "spare mag" like 1??

forget Buckshot.. look up Centurion defenders.. much better than buckshot ..
                          2016 250 Mini dozer

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

Comment

As other's have already mentioned, good lightning (both normal and motion activated) and a camera system. I don't live out in the country but I do live on 4 acres in a not so great neighborhood. I have a neighbor only on one side of me and he is similarly on a big lot with a dense tree line separating us so we can't see each other's houses.

A few things I'll add. Have at least one good handheld light that is only used when something goes bump in the night; I prefer Surefire and Streamlight flashlights. Pick up a general purpose flashlight you can use for EDC stuff. I like to have weapon mounted lights as well; I have one that I mount on my Glock's, another I have mounted on my AR, and I'm working on getting one mounted on my shotgun. I prefer weapon mounted lights in case I don't have a free hand to hold a light. And you definitely need a light to positively identify what you might be destroying.

Have a house alarm that you can arm at night and has a cellular monitoring with a panic button. Make sure you have good solid doors and windows that get locked every night. And though it probably won't make a difference, I like to have a good solid fence around my yard and a gate on the driveway. Although the fence can easily be hopped over, it still gives me peace of mine and keeps animals out (and allows me to let me dog roam free). The gate also keeps anyone from easily driving up to my house. Before I had both put in, I had people taking shortcuts through my yard because they were to lazy to walk around. I've also had people pull up in my driveway and leave when they saw me and had one stolen car dumped in front of my driveway.

Get a good dog, hell get two. If your wife and family are there by themselves, they can alert them if something is a miss. I can't tell you how many times my dogs (I used to have two but the other passed away a couple of years ago) have alerted me to stuff going on outside my house that I didn't hear because I'm either gaming or watching TV.

And finally get some training. Learn how to fire from cover, how to fire fast and reload quickly, and how to clear a malfunction. Simply firing a hundred rounds at the range is not enough. Firing a thousand rounds over a couple of days was an eye opener to me. It fixed some problems I had like shooting low and to the left with my Glock's, gave me confidence knowing I could hit what I was aiming with, and also how not to panic and shoot under pressure.

Oh I should add, have a plan for the family on what to do if something happens again. i.e. what room they retreat to and have a good door and lock in that room.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback fellas. I've made some adjustments but still have a few more to make. I added LED motion lights to both rear corners of the house. I still have to add two more to the front. I also went with 00 buckshot since it was readily available on the store shelf. Removed the plug so now the Mossberg holds 6 rounds and I bought a side saddle to hold an additional 7 rounds. This will be he wife's go to gun so she'll be getting a lot more practice with it. The top nightstand drawer has been cleared out so there's no other crap in there to get in my way should I need to grab it quickly and the safe will be moved to our room.

Thanks for the tips Jose. I'll be picking up a light that will only be used for bump in the night stuff. Hopefully I'll have the camera system installed and two more motion lights this weekend.

So where's some good places to train? GE, are you saying the place y'all go to is already booked for 2019?

Comment

Fenix makes a good light w pressure switch support, the uc35/pd35 should fit the bill and it's relatively cheap for a 1k lumen light. I have a uc30 for my hunting gear and wouldn't go into the woods without it. The UC/PD 35 come with a rear switch and belt clip, which i didn't realize until i got my 30. Don't miss those features a ton, but the belt clip would be nice.

edit: here's the link w/ pressure switch and mount. i'm gonna go ahead and pick one up for one of my rifles.

Last edited by lowthreeohz; 01-11-2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X