Springfield Hellcat 9mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springfield Hellcat 9mm

Picked one up at Academy today. I went for the standard model and not the OSP. Amazingly light for an 11+1 or 13+1 depending on which mag you choose (it comes with both)...physically it seems smaller than my Kel-Tec PF9 single stack with almost double the capacity. It is heavier...which I think will make it less snappy. Sights are WAY better. Looking forward to shooting it if I can find a range that's open.
    Last edited by ram57ta; 03-25-2020, 09:51 PM.

Doubt you'll find a range open but I'd be interested in checking it out to.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
      Yeah that seems to be the norm these days sadly. Academy was only allowing 25 people in the store at all time (including employees). Been searching for one of these since it was announced last year so when I found ONE in stock I decided to grab it. Had to wait in line in front of the store on pre-marked 6ft spots and slowly make my way in. Same guy I bought my LCP II from was the one who sold me this one...retired DPD officer...very cool guy named George...I highly recommend him. Now I need to decide which 9mm to sell...the tiny Kel-Tec PF9 7+1 single stack that weighs nothing fully loaded...or the double stack Taurus Millennium G2 double stack with 2 mags...it's considerably larger than the Hellcat in every dimension..but holds less ammo. I know a lot of people hate Kel-Tec..but this little PF9 has been flawless..other than the terrible LONG trigger. Decisions, decisions.

Comment

Eagle is open, both locations

I've been hunting for a mpx-k and was wondering what ffls were open

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
          Picked one up at Academy today. I went for the standard model and not the OSP. Amazingly light for an 11+1 or 13+1 depending on which mag you choose (it comes with both)...physically it seems smaller than my Kel-Tec PF9 single stack with almost double the capacity. It is heavier...which I think will make it less snappy. Sights are WAY better. Looking forward to shooting it if I can find a range that's open.
          Frisco has been packed every time I've driven by the last 2 weeks including yesterday.

Comment

I could take you as a guest to DPC, it's outdoors, and we'd have a bay all to ourselves so not a huge deal.
            Originally posted by stevo
            Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Yeah that seems to be the norm these days sadly. Academy was only allowing 25 people in the store at all time (including employees). Been searching for one of these since it was announced last year so when I found ONE in stock I decided to grab it. Had to wait in line in front of the store on pre-marked 6ft spots and slowly make my way in. Same guy I bought my LCP II from was the one who sold me this one...retired DPD officer...very cool guy named George...I highly recommend him. Now I need to decide which 9mm to sell...the tiny Kel-Tec PF9 7+1 single stack that weighs nothing fully loaded...or the double stack Taurus Millennium G2 double stack with 2 mags...it's considerably larger than the Hellcat in every dimension..but holds less ammo. I know a lot of people hate Kel-Tec..but this little PF9 has been flawless..other than the terrible LONG trigger. Decisions, decisions.
              Which Academy location did you go to? Wow! Didn't realize they were doing that at stores now. I heard about that somewhere at Best Buy (not DFW) but I wouldn't be surprised that it's happening here as well. What did the ammo situation look like there?

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
              Eagle is open, both locations

I've been hunting for a mpx-k and was wondering what ffls were open
              Probably to far for you but Brad at Cedar Creek Firearms in Seven Points is open by appointment I believe. I have an MPX pistol and love it. Sort of a modern rendition of the H&K MP5. Magazines are expensive as shit but I've been lucky that mine has worked reliably with the cheaper Gen1 mags.

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
              I could take you as a guest to DPC, it's outdoors, and we'd have a bay all to ourselves so not a huge deal.
              I might be interested in that if it's an open invite I shot a Rangemaster Shotgun Instructor class there last October and really liked the range.

Comment

Which Academy location did you go to? Wow! Didn't realize they were doing that at stores now. I heard about that somewhere at Best Buy (not DFW) but I wouldn't be surprised that it's happening here as well. What did the ammo situation look like there?

Probably to far for you but Brad at Cedar Creek Firearms in Seven Points is open by appointment I believe. I have an MPX pistol and love it. Sort of a modern rendition of the H&K MP5. Magazines are expensive as shit but I've been lucky that mine has worked reliably with the cheaper Gen1 mags.

I might be interested in that if it's an open invite I shot a Rangemaster Shotgun Instructor class there last October and really liked the range.
                Sure man, I don't want to take a bunch of people at once, but 1 or 2 would be ok... Might be a week or two before I'm able to get away and go but not a problem at all.

Stevo

Comment

Ultra short barreled 9 mm handguns have never appealed to me. A g19 is really as short as I want to go and I've never had a problem pocket carrying one. If I want something smaller I'll choose something other than a 9 mm.
                  Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

NW Highway in NE Dallas. There are a small handful of stores that show to have it in stock but I've learned from experience not to trust online inventory counts. I called and talked to the salesman and told him I would not drive up there unless he physically verified that it was there and asked him to put my name on it. Most stores that have gotten this gun only get like 2 or 3 per month.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                      Ultra short barreled 9 mm handguns have never appealed to me. A g19 is really as short as I want to go and I've never had a problem pocket carrying one. If I want something smaller I'll choose something other than a 9 mm.
                      I've never had an issue with compact 9mm's. For a while I was carrying +p 147grn in the Kel Tec....talk about snappy!! My gripe about the Kel Tec and the Ruger LC9 is the terrible sights and the trigger. I can shoot either pretty well but it takes a steady hand and lots of practice to have good shot placement. The trigger on this Hellcat is a lot like the new trigger on the LCP II that I bought in November...both are leaps and bounds better than on the previous versions. I think the better sights and heavier weight along with the better ergos will make me a LOT more accurate with this gun.

Comment

I feel the same way, but I don't like carrying a full size gun, just to damn uncomfortable. I love my G-43, though its not as accurate as I would like, but Jose's G-43 has had some work done to it and it shoots right on time. I probably need to do that to my G-43.
                        It's the only 9mm I have, I once owned a 2nd GEN G-22 when they first came out, but I sold it. I never could get used to it, but have since changed my opinion of the Glocks, I now own a couple.
                        Originally posted by Silverback
                        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I have been thinking of getting one as well. My brother is looking into one as well. I love the 11+1/13+1 mag. I'm pretty sure Academy where I live had one in stock awhile back, just never pulled trigger on it

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                            Sure man, I don't want to take a bunch of people at once, but 1 or 2 would be ok... Might be a week or two before I'm able to get away and go but not a problem at all.
                            I'd like to go and check it out. We were shooting on the big wide buy that has a classroom area behind it (think it was the first range as you pull in). I've been looking at memberships and it seems pretty reasonable once you get past the initiation fee.

I have like 3; a Glock 43, Ruger LCR in .357/.38, and a Taurus M85 in .38. I only carry them when I have to dress up and need to carry something inconspicuously or use it for a backup gun. I try to shoot them fairly regularly and I do shoot them pretty good out to about 15 feet. Normally I prefer a 17 or 19 sized gun.

I've never had an issue with compact 9mm's. For a while I was carrying +p 147grn in the Kel Tec....talk about snappy!! My gripe about the Kel Tec and the Ruger LC9 is the terrible sights and the trigger. I can shoot either pretty well but it takes a steady hand and lots of practice to have good shot placement. The trigger on this Hellcat is a lot like the new trigger on the LCP II that I bought in November...both are leaps and bounds better than on the previous versions. I think the better sights and heavier weight along with the better ergos will make me a LOT more accurate with this gun.
                            Terrible sights are a given for "pocket" guns that are basically used at bad breath range. At least with the Glock 43, can you get pretty good sights and better trigger options.

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                            I feel the same way, but I don't like carrying a full size gun, just to damn uncomfortable. I love my G-43, though its not as accurate as I would like, but Jose's G-43 has had some work done to it and it shoots right on time. I probably need to do that to my G-43.
                            It's the only 9mm I have, I once owned a 2nd GEN G-22 when they first came out, but I sold it. I never could get used to it, but have since changed my opinion of the Glocks, I now own a couple.
                            Ya only a Ghost connector and a little massaging of it by the Glock Doctor

Comment

I'd like to go and check it out. We were shooting on the big wide buy that has a classroom area behind it (think it was the first range as you pull in). I've been looking at memberships and it seems pretty reasonable once you get past the initiation fee.

I have like 3; a Glock 43, Ruger LCR in .357/.38, and a Taurus M85 in .38. I only carry them when I have to dress up and need to carry something inconspicuously or use it for a backup gun. I try to shoot them fairly regularly and I do shoot them pretty good out to about 15 feet. Normally I prefer a 17 or 19 sized gun.

Terrible sights are a given for "pocket" guns that are basically used at bad breath range. At least with the Glock 43, can you get pretty good sights and better trigger options.

Ya only a Ghost connector and a little massaging of it by the Glock Doctor
                              If you're talking about the one with the asphalt ground that's the Carrollton Police range, but sometimes classes are held in there if the PD doesn't need it.

The fee is really reasonable considering how much freedom you have there. I got it for a place to be able to practice for USPSA as I can have a whole bay to myself, draw from my holster, move, shoot fast as I like, etc. and come and go any time during the daylight hours.

Stevo

Comment

Working...
                              X