• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun BAN

Everyone should be paying attention

ATF to accept public comments prior to outlawing shotguns

by Jack Minor

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is taking a rare step of allowing public comments prior to issuing a decision on a study that could result in outlawing certain types of shotguns currently available to citizens.

The ATF completed a study regarding the importability of certain shotguns. The basis for a possible ban is based on a loosely defined “Sporting Purpose” test. Using the vague definition almost all pump-action and semi-automatic shotguns could be banned as they are all capable of accepting a magazine, box or tube capable of holding more than 5 rounds. Other characteristics determined to be “military” by the ATF can also be used as a basis for a ban.

Ironically, many shotguns with “military” features are currently being used in shooting competitions held by the USPSA, IDPA and IPSC. The rules could also result in obscure regulations where an individual would be unsure if he is violating them or not.

Dudley Brown, Executive Director of Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, said if the ATF succeeds with the banning of tactical shotguns it “will be the most dangerous interpretation of the 1968 Gun Control Act ever envisioned and will outlaw thousands of perfectly legitimate home defense shotguns.”

The ATF is currently allowing public comments on the study until the end of the month. Those wishing to express concerns about the study can send an email to shotgunstudy@atf.gov

Share on FacebookShare on Facebook.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Obama won't ban guns....but his agencies will.

Comment

Round 2 against Saigas begins.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

God damn their eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
          Round 2 against Saigas begins.
          Not just Saigas; reading that it sounds like they are going after anything that holds more than 5 rounds, so your Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 is also at risk.

Got to hand it to them, though, they are good at misdirection. I figured if they tried anything it would be a high capacity mag ban or a handgun ban based off of several shootings in recent years. I had always placed shotguns on the list of 'least threatened', and once again I am proven wrong.
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
            Not just Saigas; reading that it sounds like they are going after anything that holds more than 5 rounds, so your Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 is also at risk.

Got to hand it to them, though, they are good at misdirection. I figured if they tried anything it would be a high capacity mag ban or a handgun ban based off of several shootings in recent years. I had always placed shotguns on the list of 'least threatened', and once again I am proven wrong.
            I seems to say box magazine, or detachable magazine, so tube mags are out. At least, that's what they say. We both know this is about Saiga's. They fucking hate the shit out of them.
            "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
            "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I seems to say box magazine, or detachable magazine, so tube mags are out. At least, that's what they say. We both know this is about Saiga's. They fucking hate the shit out of them.
              Using the vague definition almost all pump-action and semi-automatic shotguns could be banned as they are all capable of accepting a magazine, box or tube capable of holding more than 5 rounds.
              Tubes holding more than 5 rounds are specifically mentioned in the article.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                Tubes holding more than 5 rounds are specifically mentioned in the article.
                Yes, they are mentioned by the person writing the article, but not the ATF. That's the writers interpretation. This is also geared towards imported shotguns only.

Comment

That's pretty much any tube fed shotgun as you can add extension to nearly all of them.

I'll send in my thoughts but I have a feeling all the e-mails they are getting are getting deleted right away.
                  2004 Suzuki DL650
                  1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

I blew up their email and asked why they are concerned with this when they are sending full auto weapons to the Mexican cartels

Comment

Yes, they are mentioned by the person writing the article, but not the ATF. That's the writers interpretation. This is also geared towards imported shotguns only.
                      Everything in the article is mentioned by the author and not by a link or quote from the ATF, so that would make the entire article the writer's interpretation. I don't see any sources at all in the article, just an email address at the ATF to send comments to.

Also, the article is from April of 2011, and our legislature has already attempted to deal with it by blocking financing.

http://blog.princelaw.com/2011/11/29...y-of-shotguns/

Comment

Regardless, sounds about time to buy a shotgun or three. What are some good ones to grab?

Comment

According to CJ, Saiga. I love my 2

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                            According to CJ, Saiga. I love my 2
                            The ATF has been after the Saiga for a long time, chances are they're going to get it banned eventually. Converted Saigas will probably increase in value if this happens. Great for fun, but not so much for hunting - it all depends on what you want to do with it.

Comment

The ATF has been after the Saiga for a long time, chances are they're going to get it banned eventually. Converted Saigas will probably increase in value if this happens. Great for fun, but not so much for hunting - it all depends on what you want to do with it.
                              Now as well versed as you guys in a lot of this stuff, so why? Presumably because it can utilize an AR style magazine?
                              www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Working...
                              X