No announcement yet.

Rethink your EDC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glock 17 on me always, maybe a spare mag too. AR and plate carrier with four extra pmags, quick clot, and a torniquet in the truck
    2012 GT500

Comment

90% of the time that I carry it is a single stack XDs .45 with 5+1, or those times when I CAN'T carry I have a tiny Kel Tec .380 6+1 and I hope I never have to deal with taking on a person with a rifle...that's almost a guaranteed losing fight unless like said...a lucky shot or finding cover until the shooter is at close enough range to have a chance. The shooting in Texas would have most likely turned out MUCH worse if the good samaritan who ended it had engaged with a handgun....he was in a position to get his own AR and even the playing field. It's not practical or in most cases legal to carry an AR15 in public that's loaded and ready to fire..and I wouldn't want the negative attention that would draw from the public or law even if it was legal. I think the reality in most mass shootings is that anyone OTHER than law enforcement who are armed will be armed with either a small concealed handgun or a medium/full sized open carry handgun. Carrying extra mags all the time isn't always practical although I am considering doing so now.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
        90% of the time that I carry it is a single stack XDs .45 with 5+1, or those times when I CAN'T carry I have a tiny Kel Tec .380 6+1 and I hope I never have to deal with taking on a person with a rifle...that's almost a guaranteed losing fight unless like said...a lucky shot or finding cover until the shooter is at close enough range to have a chance. The shooting in Texas would have most likely turned out MUCH worse if the good samaritan who ended it had engaged with a handgun....he was in a position to get his own AR and even the playing field. It's not practical or in most cases legal to carry an AR15 in public that's loaded and ready to fire..and I wouldn't want the negative attention that would draw from the public or law even if it was legal. I think the reality in most mass shootings is that anyone OTHER than law enforcement who are armed will be armed with either a small concealed handgun or a medium/full sized open carry handgun. Carrying extra mags all the time isn't always practical although I am considering doing so now.
        Actually carrying a loaded long gun in Texas is legal. It has been legal far longer than carrying a handgun has, and does not require a license. Inconvenient, yes. Illegal in most cases, not exactly.
        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
          Nah. I don't worry about shit like that. Train for the worst, hope for the best. I do have random shit here and there but I don't plan on walking around with a AR around my neck. I am considering a DP-12 for my cruiser though. If I can find one local and not at rapey prices. Buds has them for 1050.00.
          I have the DP 12. You can't go wrong with 16 rounds.. She is heavy though.

Comment

Originally posted by s1lv3r View Post
            I have the DP 12. You can't go wrong with 16 rounds.. She is heavy though.
            I am ok with a little chunky. Takes the edge off the recoil sometimes. No telling what my Saiga weighed with 20 shells in the drum.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

No changes for me. It’s much more likely that I’ll need medical supplies or a blanket for coming upon a wreck than need my gun.

That said, I usually carry a spare mag and few more in the truck.
              07 f250-family truckster
              08 Denali -baby hauler
              52 f1-rust bucket
              05 Jeep tj. Buggy
              livin the double-wide dream

Comment

I was thinking about getting a hat made with a picture of SVO pointing his finger on the front saying, "Pow!" I figured it would be the same as having laser beams come out of my eyes anywhere I looked. I could easily get out of trouble that way.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                  Actually carrying a loaded long gun in Texas is legal. It has been legal far longer than carrying a handgun has, and does not require a license. Inconvenient, yes. Illegal in most cases, not exactly.
                  Hmm...I don't know why I was under the impression that a long gun had to be unloaded...perfect example being all the guys a couple years back that were protesting at Starbucks and on street corners carrying their tacticooled out AR15's and AK47's. I could have sworn I read that they were legal protests but that the guns could not be loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
                    I personally prefer a shotgun to a pistol caliber carbine. Something like the Remmy Tac-14 or Mossberg Shockwave for the truck. Sure it has less rounds, but I think it is a better "threath denial" weapon.
                    Well, unless you train a lot, you effectively have a big pistol. I love shotguns, and I'll always have one around, but they just can't come close to covering the bases of what an AR can. They can't reach out as far, and they frankly aren't as accurate. Further, they're a bitch to keep topped off, and doubly so with a pump, because you're asking your off hand to constantly trabsition between two actions. For the weight penalty a good 12ga presents, you're basically into what a 16" barrel 308 carbine of your choice weighs. Ammo for the 308 weighs a lot less, and is more easily loaded into the gun. A good 5.56 carbine AR is another order of magnitude easier to tote, feed, and run. Honestly, if the first gun that comes to your mind when you consider a good dedensive gun is one of those idiotic things that needs to be SBS'd to really be usable in the scenario you're envisioning, you need your head examined.
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                      I am ok with a little chunky. Takes the edge off the recoil sometimes. No telling what my Saiga weighed with 20 shells in the drum.
                      It doesn't kick too bad. The weight and the spring loaded stock help with that.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                        Hmm...I don't know why I was under the impression that a long gun had to be unloaded...perfect example being all the guys a couple years back that were protesting at Starbucks and on street corners carrying their tacticooled out AR15's and AK47's. I could have sworn I read that they were legal protests but that the guns could not be loaded.
                        I believe the groups running those protests just didn't want any accidental discharges to make them look like idiots. Now there are other states, Oklahoma for instance, where I read it is illegal to transport a long gun with mag inserted and round chambered unless it is in a compartment that is lockable and only accessable from the exterior of the vehicle or some bullshit, but you can lay it in the backseat with the mag next to the gun and it is ok. That doesn't mean some dickhead cop with an ego won't fuck with you in Texas, but if they know the law and someone calls to report you walking around with a loaded gun it should be a matter of making contact and telling you to have a nice day. Doesn't seem to go thst way all the time.

I have only ever carried around a long gun as a civilian while hunting. Too damn inconvenient to lug around all day. If I need more knockdown power I'll go buy a 10mm to carry.
                        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                          I recently dropped one of my J frames in favor of a G19 but only because I wanted to try something new. No changes are planed to what I have been carting around for years.

WRONG. It only takes one well placed bullet to end a gun fight. Guns are just bullet launchers and dead is dead no matter what tool was used to bring about the death.
                          Although this is true, the vast majority of the population, is not going to be prepared for that kind of shot in a firefight. There is a reason that the majority of shots in CQB miss their mark. It is near impossible, short of spending time active duty in the military, to prepare for a live firefight. Unless you catch the gunman off guard, are a reasonable distance away (less than 20 yards), and are calm cool and collected under pressure, it is best to put aside the hero and use what you have to find cover and retreat.

I carry an XDS 9mm everywhere I can legally carry. I have an extra mag in the car, however, I don't carry one on my person. I have always been hyper aware of my surroundings. Always know what is going on around me. If I am at a restaurant or sitting in a public place, I position myself so that I am either in a corner and can see all points of entry/exit, or I have the vast majority of the crowd in front of me and am constantly aware of what is going on behind me. Paranoid, no, not really.

If some shit were to go down where I am, my primary goal will be to get home safely and hopefully get as many people out with me as possible. If the opportunity were to arise, for a clean shot, I wouldn't hesitate to take it.

Like was said previously, train for the worst and hope for the best. Hit the range regularly, a busy range if you want some trigger time with gunfire around you. Practice drawing from your holster regularly, in every configuration that you carry.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Yale, We are talking apples and oranges here.
                            I agree with you on the versatility of a good AR and own several. My point is that I don't see the fascination of the 9mm AR pistol. Personally they are big and bulky for what they are. I would just rather have another full size pistol and spare ammo. Yes I have a 9mm carbine. It sits in the safe unless the grandkids are around. (They are getting "too old" for a .22 nowadays) While it's a fun gun, I simply would not choose it for a primary or secondary weapon.

Now on to my comments about shotguns. Most urban firefights happen in less than 75 ft. They are dynamic "run and gun" situations. In this scenario, I think a shotgun is a better weapon than an 9mm AR style pistol. Buckshot is very effective at this range and it is much easier to actually hit the target. Yes I know - less capacity. But capacity is not everything. Try hitting a running target with an AR - then try again with a 12 gauge. Which one gave you a better hit ratio?

Call it personal preference, but I think a shotgun make a better close range "get the fuck away from me" weapon.
                            Last edited by S_K; 11-08-2017, 11:04 AM.

Comment

I'm adding a weapon lock to my new daily to carry an AR but that's about all that's changing. The AR was already there.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatass View Post
                                I'm adding a weapon lock to my new daily to carry an AR but that's about all that's changing. The AR was already there.
                                Like a trigger lock or something that secures it to the vehicle? If the latter, and you have a product in mind, I'd be interested..

Comment

Working...
                                X