Any machinists? Jet BD-920N opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any machinists? Jet BD-920N opinions?

Aside from being an import, any opinions on this machine? I, looking to pick one up for about $1000.
    Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
    There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

No idea, but I just watched a 5 minute video on you tube. He liked his!
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Linked? There are many many...
      There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

I'm not impressed, especially for a grand. What are you looking to do with a lathe?

That lathe does not have power feed in both directions, it has a single drive screw (which is also your threading screw and will wear being used as a drive screw and not do any threading functions worth a fuck). It may be 110v but its not a brush-less motor and not very powerful. You can get 110v brush-less setups that are 2hp. Spend a little more and get a bigger machine. You may not need the size but bigger heavier parts brings rigidity and that's something a lot of these tabletop machines lack.

Also, the machine is just the tip of the iceberg, tooling will easily get you in the hole 4x what you spend on the machine. I'm about to buy a 6" chuck that cost what you are looking to spend on a lathe and there are ones that cost 5x what I am spending.
        Last edited by inline 6; 11-14-2017, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Yeah does it come with tooling? It looks small enough it could be a benchtop model.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback inline6. I am wanting to learn the craft with out breaking the bank. A bit of an oxymoronic statement for anything machinist, I know. How else to learn tahn to jump in? Apprenticeships for 45yo men out in Aledo are exceptiinally rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren M View Post
              Thanks for the feedback inline6. I am wanting to learn the craft with out breaking the bank. A bit of an oxymoronic statement for anything machinist, I know. How else to learn tahn to jump in? Apprenticeships for 45yo men out in Aledo are exceptiinally rare.
              If you don't mind driving...Carrollton has a makerspace with a few lathes and some mills. It's always best to learn on someone else's equipment until you know what you actually need.

It's commonly said that you want to buy your second machine first...meaning that you will want more capacity before you know it. I wish I did this with my cnc machine, but could care less about the size of my router table or manual mill.

But what you never hear about are the people that overspent and never used the machine much like a piece of workout equipment. Starting too expensive can be bad as well.

Do whatever it takes to actually get you in the game. If you can buy used...you will get most of the cost risk out.

Comment

Exactly! I've had this desire for years and have been reading a ton. The sentiment is baaically as youve described. I assume the first machine probably wont be the last, tooling is more than the machine, apprentice if you can, but get in, get ALL in. Ideally id find a used machine on the cheap, in need of repair, but not abused. Refurb it and buy tooling that can be used between machines (long shot, I know). I hadn't thought about makers, I'll see if there is a group closer as Carrollton is a haul, but maybe worth it. Thanks!
                Last edited by Darren M; 11-15-2017, 08:34 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend a machine that needs to be repaired for learning. You're going to have trouble distinguishing between a mistake caused by you and a mistake from a damaged machine.

If cost is that big of a deal just get the Harbor Freight benchtop with a discount.

Comment

Here is the thing with lathes, 99% of the wear will be on the ways down close to the spindle (chuck). Dont get caught up in what tools a machine may or may not come with unless it is a good quick change tool post or a nice chuck because tooling that comes with machines is the trash of trash. The tool post and chucks that come on ANY entry level machine are GARBAGE. The one that came on mine isn't even usable. I haven't needed it though because I prefer to work out of collets which is preferable for work up to 1" OD.

Go to this page and look at the WBL290F...

http://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Weiss_Lathes.htm

Those are super solid specs for a bench-top style machine. Don't buy any cabinet that may be offered for any specific lathe in this size range as they all tend to sit too low, are expensive for what they are, and aren't very usable anyways. I had a member here fab me up a huge steel table with a solid 3/8 steel top, the table weighs about 700lbs itself. You dont necessarily need THIS machine but you would not be dissapointed with it and for general use would handle anything you needed it to do with some good tooling.
                    Last edited by inline 6; 11-15-2017, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Techshop just declared bankruptcy and will be liquidating. You may email the bankruptcy trustee with any interest.

Comment

Yeah but a DRO is kinda nice

Comment

I always found Techshop kind of odd. They had welders, CNC machines, laser cutters and water jets and you'd mostly hear about hippies in there making T-shirts or artists building useless shit that no one cares about.
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                          Originally posted by racrguy
                          Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Daren, there is a used south bend one craigslist here in college station for good money. Not CNc but good stuff.

Comment

Like matt?

Others, thanks for the info!

School me on pros/cons of DRO?

Comment

Working...
                              X