No announcement yet.

1/12th Scale 1969 Camaro Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did a little upholstery work tonight. There has been an adhesive leather like fabric floating around the model groups which got me wondering what I could find locally. A trip to Hobby Lobby yielded some black goat leather. It is pretty thin and works fairly well. I feel it could benefit from a little more thinning, however, I am pleased with the result. I still need to detail the dash and decide what I'm going to do for the guages. I'm thinking carbon fiber i serts and autometer gauges. That will help bring the carbon on the body into the interior, without over doing it. The 2 "gauge pods" on the console will get some smaller gauges as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

• the dash wrap looks great

Comment

• that's some crazy details

Comment

• Dude....fucking amazing!

Comment

• Thanks guys. As I've mentioned, this thing is kind of evolving and developing as I build it. I thought, for a minute, that I would use the kit seats and upholster them with the leather, though I'm not sure I want to go through all of that!

I'm pretty well set on auto meter gauges withe C/F filler panels in the dash.

Work should slow WAY down at the end of next week, so I'm going to have time to start building things again.

Comment

• Amazing detail work man. Where do you get the 3D files for the stuff that you 3D print?

Comment

• Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                Thanks guys. As I've mentioned, this thing is kind of evolving and developing as I build it. I thought, for a minute, that I would use the kit seats and upholster them with the leather, though I'm not sure I want to go through all of that!

I'm pretty well set on auto meter gauges withe C/F filler panels in the dash.

Work should slow WAY down at the end of next week, so I'm going to have time to start building things again.
                I know I'm not doing the work, but as much as you have done, you might as well leather wrap the seats, even though I have no idea how you would.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  Amazing detail work man. Where do you get the 3D files for the stuff that you 3D print?
                  Some of them I have drawn myself in solid works. I was teaching myself along the way, but haven't messed with it in a few years. Most of them are all printed through shapeways shops that specialize in model car parts.
                  Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
                  I know I'm not doing the work, but as much as you have done, you might as well leather wrap the seats, even though I have no idea how you would.
                  My number one hang up is the piping. Cutting and fitting the leather panels isn't the part I'm wanting to shy away from!

Comment

Some of them I have drawn myself in solid works. I was teaching myself along the way, but haven't messed with it in a few years. Most of them are all printed through shapeways shops that specialize in model car parts.My number one hang up is the piping. Cutting and fitting the leather panels isn't the part I'm wanting to shy away from!

Ahhh that makes sense. I didn't realize shapeways had special stores...I've always just ordered my own stuff and now that I have a 3D printer I wont need to do that unless its metal.

Some of the guys in the RC groups print some badass details but it's not nearly ad small scale as your stuff so it's a little easier to handle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                      Ahhh that makes sense. I didn't realize shapeways had special stores...I've always just ordered my own stuff and now that I have a 3D printer I wont need to do that unless its metal.

Some of the guys in the RC groups print some badass details but it's not nearly ad small scale as your stuff so it's a little easier to handle.
                      I would love my own printer. To get and end result I would find acceptable, I would need something like a formlabs SLA printer. I just cant justify the $$$. If I was proficient in solidworks or another modelling suite, it may be a different story. If I could just draw up what I need and print it, I could stomach the price!

Comment

I would love my own printer. To get and end result I would find acceptable, I would need something like a formlabs SLA printer. I just cant justify the $$$. If I was proficient in solidworks or another modelling suite, it may be a different story. If I could just draw up what I need and print it, I could stomach the price!

Yeah with your level of detail and the size of parts, an SLA machine is best. I considered a form, but for the size of the build volume and materials available...the dremel 3D45 was best. It would only be good for larger parts (dash, wheels, seats...etc) that you're ok with a bit of post processing. For my stuff it's perfect because I'm not going for show quality. You must have a mountain of patience to be able to get that level of detail and perfection.

Comment

• Some refresher pics on this one. I think I have finally made a decision on wheels/tires. Ruffdaddy is helping me sort out my 3D designed wheel sleeves. Tires will be pirelli pzeros. Since I painted the shift knob gold, I'm thinking pale gold wheel centers. Once I have the sleeves I will mock up a few colors to decide on.

This thing will start seeing some time on the work bench. I'm hoping I can complete it by March 2020 for the Showdown

Comment

• I've got to share this, because it is huge. It is huge for so many reasons. Number one it gives me confidence. What you see in these two pictures is a pair of my 3D designed part bolted to the hubs designed by someone else. Little to no fitment issues! I now have a few issues with my wheel centers. If I want to stick with 00-90 bolts and nuts to put it all together, I will need to open up the holes in the wheels. I also need a relief in the back of the centers for the centers of the hubs. Which means I need center caps. These modifications can be done with a small drill press.

The biggest hurdle this will help me clear is to accurately figure back spacing for the wheels so that I can finally get those taken care of!

Comment

• I bet you have the softest hands in the game!

Comment

• I may have to edit this when i get to a computer, however, here we go.

This is the culmination of almost 10 years of heartache, frustration, and just gwtting flat pissed off.

This car has been in progress for 10 years or more. When I started it, there was no real direction. Many failed attempts at scratch building parts. Ideas and visions that seemed impossible to achieve. Then, somewhere along the way, I decide this will be modelled after bad penny. Mainly because of my color choice. In the midst of it all, the wheels became the bane of my existence. Not being able to design exactly what I wanted. My Solidworks skills were self taught and mininal at best.

Along comes life and I didn't have time to mess with it. I no longer had solidworks, etc. I send my wheels out for some machined sleeves by a reputable vendor, which turned into a nightmare and some unusable aluminum rings.

Fast forward to about a month ago. Ruffdaddy agreed to help me out with the wheels. It was simple to him yet it would have taken me a month to relearn soldiworks and figure it out. Test prints, emails, dimensions, and more. Finally, we got where I was trying to go.

Today, a box arrived with the revisions. Were they going to fit? Was I in for more frustration and putting this thing back in a drawer to be forgotten again?

NOPE! I damn near cried when the rear wheels came out almost perfect. This is the first time this thing has sat on tires!

These are the front brakes, which are now too big. However, I can scale them at shapeways and reprint.

Comment

Working...
                                X