2013 Ford Fusion Transmission Trashed at 109,000 Miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Ford Fusion Transmission Trashed at 109,000 Miles

I have a FB post going in the Old School forum but here's more detail.

Before I moved to Knoxville I took my car in for trans flush and fill right before my extended warranty ended - it had 99,000 miles on the clock.

No issues reported, spent several hundred getting it all done.

Pump started whining a few days back, and missing gears while driving. I checked the level. It was good but the oil was filthy black. On the very next drive I ran it up through the gears in Sport Mode it the trans slipped in almost every gear, the car threw a code, shut itself down, and I barely made it home.

I took it to a reputable trans shop here in Knoxville and there are multiple codes including stuck shift solenoids. They are telling me it needs a rebuild and are tearing it down now.

I'm about to pay around 3000 for a rebuild, and yes the warranty expired so too bad for me but I started thinking about why in the hell the trans takes a dump 10,000 miles after being serviced by Ford.

I called my service advisor at Autonation Fort Worth, he is square business guy. I've been dealing with him for 6 years... he is going to talk to the fluid rep - apparently there is some warranty protection or something. Only spoke briefly but I let him know my dissatisfaction and he is going to try and get me some recourse.

Can Ford be on the hook at all for my repair costs? Shit, if I was in Fort Worth you bet I'd be at Autonation's doorstep with this thing but I'm not.

Something is fucky with the this whole thing and I am going to try and get some satisfaction with all this.

Any experience with this kind of thing?

I’ve heard of transmissions crapping out all the time after a full fluid change. It knocks the junk loose inside the transmission that was happily caked to the gears or whatever and with fresh fluid they break loose and transmission bye bye.

I’ve never flushed the fluid in auto transmission cars. YMMV.
    Ford
    GM
    Toyota
    VAG

Comment

Just squeeze some lucas in there.. that’ll fix it!!
      "PSH!!!"

Comment

If you hit the Mazda dealer they will tell you to change the transmission fluid every 12,000 miles but if you haven't changed it then you should never change it, you should only top it off when needed. The type of failure you were describing is to be expected if you change the fluid in a high mileage automatic transmission.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Is it the 6F35? They have A LOT of valve body problems but so does pretty much every other transmission with a mechatronic unit. You'll have a really difficult time proving the cause of failure. You'd need to have someone completely disassemble the transmission which will need to be reassembled for the core value and then all you'll see is a bunch of burned up clutches. No telling which one went first but once that debris got into the solenoid body it was game over.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
            If you hit the Mazda dealer they will tell you to change the transmission fluid every 12,000 miles but if you haven't changed it then you should never change it, you should only top it off when needed. The type of failure you were describing is to be expected if you change the fluid in a high mileage automatic transmission.
            Yup, heard the same from trans experts..

If its red(-ish), put new instead.. It its black, cover it back
            WRX

Comment

I was just thinking about taking my fusion in to have the transmission flushed.

HMMMM.

Comment

My friends wife lost her Lincoln MKZ tranny right over 100k and those bastards are not cheap. Apparently they share with some Chevrolet's also and they are having an issue also. The Miata ND 16-18 standards are apparently made out of glass also. Crazy.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I'm assuming the '12 ford fusion has the same tranny, mine had a recall and I took it in before the warranty expired at 50k miles. They had to R&R it, something about the solonoids in the valve body, they also tore up a axle boot sligning gear oil on the ride home, I took it back and got one new left axle. The car ran good up until 115k miles and it started slipping, but only when cold, once it warmed up it ran fine. I sold that monster and moved on. I had just payed it off too and wanted to keep it, but I knew the end was near and took $7.5k cash and bought a new Mustang...
                  Originally posted by Silverback
                  Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Ford taking any responsibility will be entirely to them and I'd consider it extremely amazing customer service if they do. As stated above, if you don't regularly maintenance an automatic transmission then it's best to let it be. I'd recommend a fluid \ filter change every 30-50k depending on how you drive If it's used to tow heavy loads with or a 1\2ton and tows frequently then change it more ofter. Unless the guy pulling it down can find a definite cause from Ford's service work prior then the repair is likely on you. If your guy at auto nation pulls a rabbit out of his hat and is able to get any of it covered then I'd consider it a blessing.

There's a lot going on inside a transmission, if you had a clutch failure of something that resulted in excessive heat build up then it will cook the fluid in a rapid hurry. There are charts that show how ATF fluid heat equates to mileage.
                    Attached Files

Comment

On the reals - I'm right @ 50k on my '15 fusion. Should i take this hoe in and get it serviced, or just roll with it? It already does some fucky shifting.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                        On the reals - I'm right @ 50k on my '15 fusion. Should i take this hoe in and get it serviced, or just roll with it? It already does some fucky shifting.
                        Sounds like you need to sell that old piece of shit!

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                          Sounds like you need to sell that old piece of shit!
                          I'm gonna flip the script and buy that extended warranty the next time my home boy calls.

He's always lookin' out.

Comment

Flush the fluid, drive it for a week or two, then flush it again to remove all the newly released deposits.

Comment

Working...
                            X