Cell Service Providers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell Service Providers

I need a new cell phone line. I hate Sprint, and AT&T. They’re not completely ruled out, but, they suck.

I think I’ve seen BP say he uses Google Fi. Anyone else? Is anyone using an iPhone with Google Fi? Their site says Fi for iPhones is still in beta testing, and I’m concerned about getting in to a situation with little to no support, and thus is a business line that needs to work reliably. Any other suggestions?

Verizon is too goddamn expensive. T Mobile’s price is right, but I don’t know about their service. I had them years ago without issue, but how are they now? I don’t have issues with AT&T service, but their lack of customer service is maddening.
    Originally posted by BradM
    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
    Originally posted by Leah
    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
    I need a new cell phone line. I hate Sprint, and AT&T. They’re not completely ruled out, but, they suck.

I think I’ve seen BP say he uses Google Fi. Anyone else? Is anyone using an iPhone with Google Fi? Their site says Fi for iPhones is still in beta testing, and I’m concerned about getting in to a situation with little to no support, and thus is a business line that needs to work reliably. Any other suggestions?

Verizon is too goddamn expensive. T Mobile’s price is right, but I don’t know about their service. I had them years ago without issue, but how are they now? I don’t have issues with AT&T service, but their lack of customer service is maddening.
    I have Tmobile and I’ve had pretty good luck but I don’t travel outside of dfw much..
    "PSH!!!"

Comment

I find Verizon to be cheap. I got locked up in contracts for years with Sprint and when I finally escaped it was a relief as we were into the 220.00 range with unlimited. The wife and I pay about 86 a month now and the coverage is spectacular all over the US. I do pay cash for phones now andddd we don't blow through data so I dropped down in that category.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I've had Tmo for 8yrs now and it has worked well everywhere I've traveled, TN, GA, West Virginia, SC, Cal, Oregon, you get the point. In my drive from Rowlett to WA, the only place we didn't have service was BFE Montana where no one has cell service.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

Comment

Fi kind of turned into a PITA, my wife usually used more data than expected and I'd do things like tell spotify to only download on wifi. If you can manage your data it's fine, they use t-mobile and sprint towers anyway. Well I say it's fine, mine was as long as it was on t-mobile towers but it always defaulted to Sprint and when it did the call quality sucked.

I switched us to T-mobile several months ago. Their coverage in rural areas isn't as good as AT&T or Verizon. Get off of I-40 in New Mexico and your phone is useless for example where Verizon would probably have a couple of bars.

Note that you're buying a sim card and it's access, the phone really doesn't matter as long as it'll work on the network. Fi is an MVNO that uses Sprint, US Cellular or T-mobile, they are basically reselling you access to those networks. Sprint is cheaper for them so that's who they usually default to.

There are other MVNOs out there like Straighttalk for Verizon and Cricket for AT&T that give you the same network coverage as the big guys but might be cheaper depending on usage. You don't get new gear promotions though and I really have a feeling they prioritize their own users over MVNOs at times but they aren't supposed to. Those guys are prepaid though, if it doesn't work cancel and switch to something else.

Comment

Spectrum is reselling Verizon access now as well btw, if it's cheaper they are worth a consideration.

We did t-mobile for a few reasons. They had a buy one get one free deal on S10s and a great military package. You also get a free basic Netflix subscription and if you fly American Airlines their inflight wifi is free for an hour (unlimited with the hotspot package though).

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post

I've had tmobile since 1999 (was voicestream then) and have never had a problem, even when traveling. I have the Pixel 3 now and it supports WiFi calling and texts. The WiFi calling isn't all laggy when I've had no service and needed to use it out in the sticks.

Comment

Man, I was with ATT for years and they sucked. I finally went to Verizon (circa '12), I don't data hog so $80.00-ish bills for the wife and I. We only get 2 gigs a month with rollover, no dropped calls and reliable service anywhere we go in the US.
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

AT&T can suck a dick. T-Mo has pretty good prices for what you get and I hear their coverage has gotten better lately. Sprint is OK...haven't used them since 2013. I've been on Verizon for the past 5-6 yrs..paid cash for my previous 3 phones and switched over the prepaid 3 yrs ago. I pay 34 dollars a month and get 3 gb of data...yeah..its not a lot if you data hog...but I also have a company hotspot and wifi is easy to find if you need it in most cities.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                    Man, I was with ATT for years and they sucked. I finally went to Verizon (circa '12), I don't data hog so $80.00-ish bills for the wife and I. We only get 2 gigs a month with rollover, no dropped calls and reliable service anywhere we go in the US.
                    Not sure what plan you have but if its prepaid like mine..setting up autopay adds 1 gig per month.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                      Not sure what plan you have but if its prepaid like mine..setting up autopay adds 1 gig per month.
                      Not sure what plan you have, mine is no family plan, just calls and texts are unlimited and 2 gigs a month. I don't have auto pay and I just pay it on the 12th, its not a pre-pay plan though. We just payed off our phones.
                      Originally posted by Silverback
                      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

thus is a business line that needs to work reliably.
                        Sounds like you need Verizon then.

I've had a phone with all of the big four, and no ones coverage and reliability was close to Verizon's.
                        sigpic

Comment

I have had tmo since voicestream days also. I like them because there is no contract and taxes and fees are included with the price.

The other thing I have liked is when I call customer service it is US based during business hours.

I recently called them about crap service at the house and they sent a signal booster for nothing.

It is nice not to have to fight with someone for new customer pricing when contracts end.

Comment

I'm on Cricket. Dirt cheap, unlimited, and good coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                              Not sure what plan you have, mine is no family plan, just calls and texts are unlimited and 2 gigs a month. I don't have auto pay and I just pay it on the 12th, its not a pre-pay plan though. We just payed off our phones.
                              Only thing that pisses me off, is to get a good deal on a phone they want you to finance it. My Pixel XL still works like a champ, although the 2 XL is starting to grow on me.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                              X