Heads rebuilt/inspected In DFW???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mysticcobrakilla View Post
    That's gonna be a damn good boat! Do like!
    I think so to. It's going to have a lot of blood and sweat in it but also gives me and the boy something to do this winter. I'm really just cleaning it right now and trying to polish this turd. I ordered a new variable speed buffer and started wet sanding last night. If I don't get it where I want looks wise I will probably have a buddy wrap it (something simple/tastefull... no skulls or affliction nonsense).

I should have the motor out by this weekend so I can see what to do next with it. Part of me just wants to completely repower with something LS based but those crate motors Plug and Play are around 10k

Comment

Originally posted by Treybiz View Post
      It was and wasn't... If you planned to buy it and have someone else do the work to restore you would probably be in it for what a clean one of that vintage sells for as it is. Granted, it would probably all be fresh stuff as opposed to stuff with 800+ hours on it but, for some reason (with the obvious exception of this one) people really seem to care for nautiques.

When I picked it up it was filthly.. Like sat under a tree for the last 2 years with no cover filthy. The vinyl looked toast and the gel coat like hammered shit. But, everything was there and the hull was solid with the exception of some scars by one bunk and the bow roller. I got 2 full giant black trash bags of leaves out of the damn thing.

It's a project and I'm in no giant hurry. I should be able to do 95% of everything it needs myself. My goal is 6-8 months.

http://s256.photobucket.com/user/tre...brary/Nautique
      I would have done the work myself, looks like a great start, and with all winter to get it going, it should be prime for summer fun.

Keep us posted on the progress, and let's do a lake GTG next spring.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
        I would have done the work myself, looks like a great start, and with all winter to get it going, it should be prime for summer fun.

Keep us posted on the progress, and let's do a lake GTG next spring.
        Once I get rolling and have stuff worthy of a thread I'll post up.

And for sure on the lake GTG. We got out about two weekends a month this summer. I'm bummed to say it since the water is still warm but I'm probably going to moth ball the jet fleas and our existing boat next weekend. October is just crammed with family stuff and then hunting "starts".

Comment

Small Update:

Boat is cleaned, wet sanded, glazed, and waxed.

Messing with all the small stuff for the last weeks waiting on a buddy to free up his extended reach cherry picker so we can pull the bottom end and trans.

Day 1:

Yesterday:

Opps:

Comment

This reminds me, I need to winterized my junk.

Looking good!

Comment

Old thread resurrection......

It's Alive and headed for the lakehouse Next Weekend.

Started Here:

Comment

Now we are here:

Comment

dig
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Solid progress, dude!
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Looking good man!

Comment

I had that motor in my boat years back and it was a strong mother fucker.

Comment

That's awesome man. I didn't see this thread before or else I would have commented...I've bought/fixed/sold a number of boats over the years, and several due to freeze breakage. I've never had any issues with the heads, it's always just the block and/or manifolds. I'm curious....did your heads check out okay too?

Nice boat BTW.

I bought a pretty nice Four Winns last year with a busted block...the guy let it go really cheap b/c the marine dealer quoted him some ridiculous number to put a long block in it. It's a 302, and I happened to have a good standard bore block on hand...although the project got a little side-lined until just a couple weeks ago, I'm finally working on getting the engine back together, hopefully will be ready to go back in the boat in the next couple weeks.
                          70' Chevelle RagTop
                          (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Heads had some hairline cracks so they were scrapped. Ended up finding a nice set of rebuilt 3 Bar GT40s for a smoking deal. I had the motor torn down and was actually headed to the machine shop the next day when I found a guy in Kansas that was pulling this GT40 to go with a 6.2 with zero off.

Reasonable hours on the motor, decent money, complete checkup performed by a nautique shop in KS, and they pulled/crated it for me. Since he was going GM powered I ended up with everything (including all the wiring) less a trans. Took me and a buddy an afternoon to drop it in. Had it running by dinner time. Runs smooth as silk and everything works as it should. I ended up selling the other long block in pieces for just a little shy of half the $$$ I had into the "new" motor. Worked out great since I was running a little low on spare time this spring. I kept most of the fuel inection stuff including the 2 extra ECMs I had collected along the way so I've got spares for things that are getting harder to find as well.

Comment

Another long time after update but I figured I would close out with some pictures. Local Lakes flooding slowed us down quite a bit in using it but the last 3 weekends it's been in the water on: Whitney, Cedar Creek, and we are headed to PK friday night.

Just saying... Fun can be cheapish.

Comment

nice boat....now I want one

Comment

Working...
                                X