Trump moves to ban bumpstocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
    Why should semi auto accessories be illegal?
    Its a loophole and I get that. Purely my opinion.

Comment

OK, that shoe has dropped. I think many of us saw that coming. And I agree it won't stop anything.

But now can we start enforcing the laws that are actually one the damn books? Any legislation should be for strengthening the enforcement of those laws. I'm good with adding a few new regs like limiting purchases to anyone over 21 and banning the mentally ill outright (or is that already the law?).

Comment

I think bump stocks are retarded and serve no purpose other than to waste a bunch of ammo just spraying wildly at whatever you were trying to shoot. I don't like that it possibly opens the door for more and more bans and restrictions....but if giving libtards this gives them a victory and they back off I'm happy. I don't however...for even a second think they will back off....if anything I think it could possibly start a tidal wave of bans and restrictions being pushed to see if they can get him to do more. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

They don't back off. They only take what little they can until finally, at long last, they get their way. You can't give them anything. You tell them to move out.
          WH

Comment

I'll sell my bump stock for $1k cash

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
              They don't back off. They only take what little they can until finally, at long last, they get their way. You can't give them anything. You tell them to move out.
              And this is a legit concern. While I want more regulation in this matter, I have to agree that this is highly likely to become a, "give them an inch, they'll take a mile" situation.

However, that cannot be an excuse to do nothing any longer. Look at public opinion on the matter. It keeps growing for more gun control of some kind. Eventually we are going to see an overreaction and all hell will break loose. IMO it's better to relieve some of the pressure and very publicly point it out when the opposition tries to grab that mile.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                While I agree with you, I think this is a strategic move. We all think bump stocks are stupid, so no skin off our back from that perspective. Now, he can say he made a move to support gun control. If (when) another shooting happens, he can say that tighter gun control measures had no outcome therefore it isn't the solution. We know this already, but now it can be said to libtards in a way that they got what they wanted and it didn't work -- no more stupid GC laws.

That's what I'm hoping anyway. The downside to that is they can go further off the deep end saying that bump stocks isn't enough -- take away the gun. I just don't think they will be successful with that approach though.
                Gun owners are their own worst enemy. The NRA and Republicans could get the 2nd Amendment repealed and start confiscating guns, and most gun owners would be saying "It's a strategic move, just wait and see where this goes, we are about to really get those Democrats!"
                I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Gun owners are their own worst enemy. The NRA and Republicans could get the 2nd Amendment repealed and start confiscating guns, and most gun owners would be saying "It's a strategic move, just wait and see where this goes, we are about to really get those Democrats!"
                  To a point, I agree. To me, the NRA right now should be doing a case study highlighting the laws broken and errors from others for every mass shooter over the last decade or so. Point out that not enforcing laws (gun or otherwise) and agency ineptitude played a major role in most cases. Emphasize that more gun control (or gun control at all) isn't the answer and provide specifics instead of just "Chicago." Society is a bunch of lambs that follow a narrative. Hell, people think the McRib is the greatest sandwich of all time. If they want a McRib, then the NRA should create one...

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                    For me it's not about them. It's about what else gets banned with them or what gets banned after them.
                    That's how it starts. You give a little then they take allot. Either way, there main Agenda is to disarm the American people and the Liberals will not stop until we fight back and stop them

Comment

Given that nearly all of them were known to someone or another, its pretty clear that the answer is indeed the mental health overhaul. If it were people just popping up at random, and nobody ever knew a thing about it until it was too late, they might have some kind of small point. But pretty much all of these people were well known, and just left to their own devices. That shows you that most if not all of them were completely preventable if some action had been taken.

Can't give up the guns, that is not an option. But we can get to these people first. Someone asked how you avoid violating their rights. Well if they make that kind of threat, I don't think 1 compelled psych evaluation by a competent psychologist, is going to violate their rights. Not after they've done that. All he'd have to do is ask them why they made that post, why they said that, why they were buying these guns. The answers from such a person would be more than he needed to commit them for a month. During that time, they'd be getting real treatment.

Also during that time they're put on the do not sell to, call the police list. Make a database that anyone and everyone can check for free, to see if the person you're selling to is someone who is on the do not sell to list. On the list is a good paragraph or to about why they are on the list. Also any convictions that are public record. I'd be happy to check such a list before I sold a firearm to someone. Why not. If they're not on the list, they're probably good to go. Nothing is for certain, but we could put some big dents in the problem. Since they are in fact mentally ill, we do have the advantage when it comes to catching them before they make it too far.
                      WH

Comment

If they dig that deeply for mental health issues, Gasser, you'll never be able to purchase a water gun much less a real firearm. Practically every post you make will be deemed "mentally ill" by a psych doc somewhere. Careful what you wish for...

Comment

If they dig that deeply for mental health issues, Gasser, you'll never be able to purchase a water gun much less a real firearm. Practically every post you make will be deemed "mentally ill" by a psych doc somewhere. Careful what you wish for...
                          Not to mention a slippery slope for all. Who is to stop the left from declaring you mentally ill for believing in a 200+ year old document, or being part of oathkeepers, or a vet with ptsd, etc, etc. Mental illness is such a broad term it can be manipulated and apllied to almost anyone, depending on your point of view. A large percentage of our country now thinks cutting off your own penis is mentally sound.
                          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Not to mention a slippery slope for all. Who is to stop the left from declaring you mentally ill for believing in a 200+ year old document, or being part of oathkeepers, or a vet with ptsd, etc, etc. Mental illness is such a broad term it can be manipulated and apllied to almost anyone, depending on your point of view. A large percentage of our country now thinks cutting off your own penis is mentally sound.

As I posted in a FB "debate"

Who gets to make the decisions? What conditions will get a pass and what will be exclusionary?

Will we rely on doctors? Even with illnesses that can be diagnosed with empirical testing there are misdiagnoses all the time. Behavioral science is less precise, so how far into the grey area of an individual doctor's thoughts, beliefs, and biases are you willing to go on this?

Will we rely on lawmakers? No matter what side of the aisle you're on it's very obvious that money buys influence, so who do you trust to buy your rights?

Will we rely on the FBI? They've demonstrated gross negligence lately on multiple fronts. Even seemingly neutral agencies (DHS, FCC, EPA, etc) have been shown to have politicized agendas

At what point do all of these regulations prevent reasonable people from exercising their right to self defense? (see: District of Columbia v. Heller)

Until big issues like that can be sorted out (fairly and objectively) then we risk doing more harm than good by rushing into things.

Comment

Not exactly what I was talking about. I'm speaking of threats. They were nearly all threats. (which they carried out)

"I'm going to do x on x day."

There is quite a large difference between that, and what you're referring to. Yes, under that kind of oppression, over half this site would be given one of their "evaluations". But nobody here has ever said "I'm going to go shoot up the place". So I think the distinction would be easy to enforce.
                              WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                                I'm going to go shoot up the place
                                Put this guy on the list!
                                Originally posted by Marisa
                                we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

Working...
                                X