No announcement yet.

diy home security camera system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just get something that uses power over Ethernet (POE). You will just have to get a switch that uses Poe ports.

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
      Dang! That thing is expensive.

My worst problem is there is no power where I need to put 2 of the cameras. Still looking at what my choices are, and how to power and cable them, if I have to.
      He's right... POE is the easiest way to go. Just run a single cable to your camera and you are done. Thats what I did. I already had a 24 port switch so I just added this: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/WS-POE-8-48v60w-passive-Ethernet-Injector-cameras/dp/B0086SQDMM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420378669&sr=8-2&keywords=poe+injector[/ame]

Comment

I had a wireless system but was not a big fan of it, went with a LaView 4 Camera Wired System from Walmart. Installed it myself ( was a pita ) but overall I'm please with it. Has an App as well I can monitor it anywhere and it doesn't cost anything to do so.

Comment

Built one last year it was a standard dvr but went overboard on 1 camera and it ended up being like 300? camera was 75% of that.

Going to probably do a nvr setup soon with 2 or 3 1080p cameras.

Best buy always has a deal of the day for camera kits, once a month or so, its good just for the nvr since cameras are garbage.

Comment

Diggingvthis up.

As our house gets nicer, and we furnish it with nicer stuff, I feel like we need to explore security cameras. We are on the corner of a busy street. Our street ends in a cul de sac, and most all of the traffic we get is for a house in our hood. We have had some strays here of late. One house in the cul de sac had someone steal packages from their porch a few weeks ago. They have kind of a courtyard so someone had to know they were there or see the delivery.
            Last night I had some punk ass kids draw on the hood of my car, granted it was with a finger, in the road grime. I am a fan of practical jokes, but don't touch my car.
            So, we are looking into a security camera set up. Would like good clarity, sound isn't a necessity but would be nice. Also something expandable. We could start with 2 cameras and cover our door and driveway and go from there. I have no trouble running cat5/6 for a wired system. I am hoping we can get set up for $300-400 with a decent quality expandable system.
            What I don't want, is to drop some coin on a system, have something happen, only to find that the quality sucked.
            Originally posted by Leah
            Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

i just ordered this

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
                Not bad, let me know how it is once set up!
                Originally posted by Leah
                Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                  Diggingvthis up.

As our house gets nicer, and we furnish it with nicer stuff, I feel like we need to explore security cameras. We are on the corner of a busy street. Our street ends in a cul de sac, and most all of the traffic we get is for a house in our hood. We have had some strays here of late. One house in the cul de sac had someone steal packages from their porch a few weeks ago. They have kind of a courtyard so someone had to know they were there or see the delivery.
                  Last night I had some punk ass kids draw on the hood of my car, granted it was with a finger, in the road grime. I am a fan of practical jokes, but don't touch my car.
                  So, we are looking into a security camera set up. Would like good clarity, sound isn't a necessity but would be nice. Also something expandable. We could start with 2 cameras and cover our door and driveway and go from there. I have no trouble running cat5/6 for a wired system. I am hoping we can get set up for $300-400 with a decent quality expandable system.
                  What I don't want, is to drop some coin on a system, have something happen, only to find that the quality sucked.
                  I bought a hd setup thru swann the other day to upgrade my old swann system. The picture quality is really good and clear. The swann system also comes with remote access from your smartphone. Works really well and looks great on my phone. Very easy to install except for the obvious attic part. The model number is swdvk-845004p
                  Originally posted by Baron
                  If I dissagree with you, it is because you are wrong.

Comment

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Zmodo-KHI8-YARUZ8ZN-8-Channel-Security-Cameras/dp/B00NA4AVUM/ref=sr_1_10?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1432992969&sr=1-10[/ame]

Dad has one similar to this, and I was impressed with the quality.

Comment

I'd look into these...(they also have different set ups if you want more channels/cameras)...

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VAXBIVQ?ref_=c[/ame]

Zmodo 4CH
                      720p HD
                      Simplified PoE NVR
                      Outdoor Indoor Day Night
                      IR-CUT Motion Detection
                      Push Alerts
                      Home Video Surveillance Security Camera System
                      1TB Hard Drive
                      Remote Access in Seconds Free APP
                      3 Years Warranty
                      Last edited by stangin4lyfe; 06-01-2015, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Does anyone own a LaView or Swann Poe nvr system? How's the quality of the video and does the app to view from cell or tablet work well?

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                          Not bad, let me know how it is once set up!
                          pretty happy with it

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
                            pretty happy with it

Which lore 8 channel kit did you get?

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                              Im using 4 Hikvision 2032-I cameras and a Synology NAS to record to. They are 3mp cameras. I highly recommend them. They are $90 each or so now from Ali Express. Way too expensive if you order here in the US.
                              These are the ones I want to get for my business and home.

I've checked reviews and videos on YouTube and the quality seems damn good.

How difficult is it to get it all set up when piecing a kit together with the Synology NAS?

Comment

Originally posted by sosoe View Post
                                These are the ones I want to get for my business and home.

I've checked reviews and videos on YouTube and the quality seems damn good.

How difficult is it to get it all set up when piecing a kit together with the Synology NAS?
                                That's what we have at home (Synology NAS), but I'll be honest, my BIL set it up and he knows way more about this stuff than I do. It took him like an hour or two.

We pieced ours together with this:

NAS / Hard Drive:
                                [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005YW7OLM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o05_s00[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JJLXO6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o04_s02[/ame]

Indoor:
                                [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F5CTTAU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o04_s01[/ame]

Outdoor:
                                [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M6TD4HO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o03_s01[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                                X