DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > Technology Rules

Technology Rules iPhone suxx, Q/A for all computer, networking, phone, and gaming issues

Old 05-20-2017, 05:18 PM   #41
GhostTX
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgregory84 View Post
Random, but this being over a year old really makes me hate how quickly tech evolves from a money stand-point. For $900, you could build a pc WAY more powerful than this for $900. Maybe a tad bit more. 1080's can be had in the lower $400's. Then obviously the rest of the build.
With computers, you HAVE to bite the bullet and just do it, or you'll never build. Something better is always a couple of months away.

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
GhostTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #42
HarrisonTX
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgregory84 View Post
Random, but this being over a year old really makes me hate how quickly tech evolves from a money stand-point. For $900, you could build a pc WAY more powerful than this for $900. Maybe a tad bit more. 1080's can be had in the lower $400's. Then obviously the rest of the build.
What has come out that's WAY better? Processors? More affordable graphics cards?

Is there one thing I could upgrade and see a significant improvement?

DE OPPRESSO LIBER
HarrisonTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #43
Gasser64
Lifer

He's right, but if you wanted to be on top for a couple years you could do it with processors. Same with video cards really, but with a processor you have less upgradeability these days due to their decision to make so many new sockets. I remember the days of socket 775 when it had a dozen processor generations that would fit one socket. Then again who knows if the board was slowing it down...

Anyway they don't appear to actually do anything worth noting, with processors except for about every 2 years. And even then, you see what...a 15% gain over the last model? 20%? Not worth busting out another $500 for the latest and greatest processor. So if you hop on a particular model when it first comes out, you can be satisfied that you'll have done the best you could for quite some time.

As for video cards, the slot stays the same for so long that you can just get what you can afford and not care about what it will be like when its time to upgrade.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:38 PM   #44
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Send a message via Skype™ to Tx Redneck

Intel has socket hopped for the last decade, that's part of what's kept the AMD loyalists, loyal. You *could* upgrade the cpu for several years on the same mobo.
Tx Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #45
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonTX View Post
What has come out that's WAY better? Processors? More affordable graphics cards?

Is there one thing I could upgrade and see a significant improvement?
There's nothing *way* better, but Microcenter is offering the 770k at a lower price than has been offered, ever.

Having the higher clocks and IPC can help with framerates, but if you're not 4k gaming, it's a zero sum gain for you.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #46
Gasser64
Lifer

I would be tempted to say that it sucks that they did that, but in order for me to actually make that conclusion, I'd have to see how well the newer processors performed on the older chipsets that came with those sockets. Which isn't going to happen, but if I had to wager, I'd say that like always, it just gets faster and faster as time goes by.

Maybe their thought process was something like "We don't really like the lack of a performance leap that people see, when they plug our latest and greatest into an old chipset". Its not always the obvious stuff, like how well it does in games or solidworks or other processor intensive tasks. I've noticed big jumps in subtle areas before as well.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #47
Tx Redneck
Wannabe puter fixor
VIP Member

I wanna respond, but I'll keep my thoughts to myself.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:13 PM   #48
Gasser64
Lifer

Well let me say that I'm not one of those people that runs out and upgrades every 6 months. Though I do know people like that. My current rig was built in 2012, and only now am I just starting to see a reason to upgrade.

And even now, I'm still not seeing anything that I'm just really impressed with.

Tags
bcoop #1 at all things