Adjustable shocks struts versus coilovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustable shocks struts versus coilovers

I'm looking to lower the Performance Package 2017 GT, but don't want the harsh ride that just springs would give me.

Question 1: Would the adjustability of the options above give me the more supple ride that I'm looking for, presuming that I get a kit that has damping adjustability.

Question 2: If yes, then would one option be better than the other? This is a purely weekend only street car that will likely never see the track (which is a shame being so close to Sonoma and Mazda Raceways). So all out performance isn't a concern, I'd just like to be able to keep it comfortable, and I'm hoping that the $1,200 shocks/struts kit will do what I need, rather than spending another 2 grand on coilovers.

Like maybe just enough for a Barstow to Vegas run?

Comment

So I guess the goal is to lower the car, and still have it ride somewhat like stock, maybe a hair stiffer. I've already got the bigger anti-roll bar, so the car corners fine as it is.

Would adjustable shocks & struts and/or coilovers be able to do that? Or does the stiffer spring pretty much dictate that it'll be noticeably harsher? My thought is a progressive spring with the struts dialed down would get me closer to where I want to be than coilovers with linear springs.

Any track time would be strictly for fun, so I'm not so concerned with all out performance or weight savings.

Comment

The big advantage to coilovers is adjustable ride height. Sure the springs get stiffer when compressed but shock dampening is what will affect your ride quality the most. If you don't ever plan on racing the car or think you'll want to go even lower than springs alone will take it then I'd just do springs and adjustable shocks.

There is also an airbag kit for these cars if you really want to be able to adjust things and still have great ride quality. The kit costs about 1 months rent in California though!

Comment

That confirms my train of thought BP, thanks for the reply, it's been a while since I was in the game. I was thinking about that airbag kit early on, but this isn't a show car, and I don't care to go lower than the typical inch-ish drop that springs will do. Factor in the expense, and it's a non-starter. With the right stance, I don't think I'll ever wish that I could raise it.

Sacramento is relatively flat, and we'll be back in DFW in a year if all goes as planned, so speed bumps and my driveway are my only concern. I had the Eibach Pro kit on my '98, and never ran into any trouble that I can recall.

Comment

If you want it to ride stock, then leave it alone.

Keep an eye on spring rate. That's the (back) killer.

Several folks I know are very happy with the CJ Pony springs. I rode in my buddy's car with them and it felt nice and firm without beating the hell out of the passengers (like my car does with Sportlines). He still had the stock PP shocks/struts, but I am sure you could fine-tune the ride and handling with adjustables.
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Leaving it alone won't lower it an inch. [emoji14]

I've never played with adjustable dampers before, other than the changing the drive modes in the M3, I think I'll go that route and fine tune everything to my liking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had adjustable shocks on a couple of cars and they were usually just left on the softest setting. Then again I usually care more about going fast in a straight line than in corners.

Comment

I have bmr springs on my car and it rides great still. BMR or steeda get my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                    I have bmr springs on my car and it rides great still. BMR or steeda get my vote.
                    I can't say anything about bmr's springs, I do know they make some top notch suspension pieces.

Comment

Working...
                    X