Why Did White People Vote For Trump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Did White People Vote For Trump?

White working-class voters who reported feelings of cultural dislocation or favored deportation of illegal immigrants were more than three times more likely to support Trump.

There are a ton of interesting findings here, and I do believe it is factual, honest, and unbiased. This is just a (very) brief summary of the report. It is well worth reading the entire thing.

1. Identification with the Republican Party. Identifying as Republican, not surprisingly, was strongly predictive of Trump support. White working-class voters who identified as Republican were 11 times more likely to support Trump than those who did not identify as Republican. No other demographic attribute was significant.

2. Fears about cultural displacement. White working-class voters who say they often feel like a stranger in their own land and who believe the U.S. needs protecting against foreign influence were 3.5 times more likely to favor Trump than those who did not share these concerns.

3. Support for deporting immigrants living in the country illegally. White working-class voters who favored deporting immigrants living in the country illegally were 3.3 times more likely to express a preference for Trump than those who did not.

4. Economic fatalism. White working-class voters who said that college education is a gamble were almost twice as likely to express a preference for Trump as those who said it was an important investment in the future.

5. Economic hardship. Notably, while only marginally significant at conventional levels (P<0.1), being in fair or poor financial shape actually predicted support for Hillary Clinton among white working-class Americans, rather than support for Donald Trump. Those who reported being in fair or poor financial shape were 1.7 times more likely to support Clinton, compared to those who were in better financial shape.
    When the government pays, the government controls.

without reading any of what you posted ( i will, but i gotta be first).

white people voted for trump because he is a sign of power, and white people felt like they lost that with a black president, and a white woman coming behind him would have had 95% of the white male population on suicide watch.

brb though, i'll read it.
    THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by naynay View Post

white people voted for trump because he is a sign of power, and white people felt like they lost that with a black president, and a white woman coming behind him would have had 95% of the white male population on suicide watch.

Why did the Hispanic and black vote for a republican POTUS increase then? Without those votes, Trump may not have won.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I'm sure this is true for some people, but the generalization is laughable.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Over half an hour later.... did you bother to read what I bolded?
          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

sheeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

plunging toilets is a never ending battle.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
              Why did the Hispanic and black vote for a republican POTUS increase then? Without those votes, Trump may not have won.
              you mean the popular vote? he didnt win that.
              THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                Over half an hour later.... did you bother to read what I bolded?
                just did. i can't relate. i'm not white-working class. harrumph.
                THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

you mean the popular vote? he didnt win that.
                  why would he say that? I'm not arguing or poking the bear or anything here, I just want to understand what you could possibly think he meant, when he referred to the president winning.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

it is without a doubt that the president did not win the popular vote. that is logged and recorded. as far as numbers relating to two specific demographics of voters, i will say i cannot comment, simply because i only cast one ballot and i did not look to see who the guys next to me were voting.
                    THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Get over it naynay, Trump won. Or, don't get over it and continue to provide us free entertainment.

Comment

umm, hi, trump won a long time ago, lets make america great again! why we still talking about last years election?
                        THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

it is without a doubt that the president did not win the popular vote. that is logged and recorded. as far as numbers relating to two specific demographics of voters, i will say i cannot comment, simply because i only cast one ballot and i did not look to see who the guys next to me were voting.
                          That's because half the republicans that voted for Trump weren't dead when they voted.

Comment

if you want to really see how america voted look to the counties in the country that voted trump. there is a reason for the electoral college .

Comment

You dont have to win the popular vote to win the presidency. Gore won the popular vote, his dumbass wasnt president either. Not sure why you would run around screaming 'popular vote' with it being inconsequential.
                              Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
                              if you want to really see how america voted look to the counties in the country that voted trump. there is a reason for the electoral college .
                              Yup. It's set up to give the entire country an opportunity to participate. If it was just popular vote, you wouldnt need to bother going to the poles if you werent in a major metro area.
                              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X