Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a good "camp" gun

And what would/do you use?

After this last camping trip I'm thinking I really need to get a good camp gun and that a 1911 may not necessarily be the best choice. I've carried my Taurus M85 a few times while camping and it's a good size and weight and can take a beating but I want something more than a .38 Special. Right now I'm leaning towards a Ruger SP101 in .357 Magnum or maybe a used Glock because they are both around the same price, have adequate power, and can take a beating. Maybe a Glock in 10mm and change it out to shoot .40 S&W/9mm (that can be done right?) for home/conceal carry.

Thoughts?

one that doesnt rust to your hip bone!

elvis-glock
    cj-anything but glock
    dochtr-hk or some obscure WWII rifle

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

When you say camp gun, would you need a pistol/revolver for concealed or lightweight/low bag space footprint type?

Or would a Ruger 10/22 take down fit the bill?
      WRX

Comment

Rossi .44 mag. Cheap, puts holes in things, wheel gun so it always goes bang bang

I have a Rossi .357. Cost me a whopping $299. Can shoot both .38 and .357

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
          one that doesnt rust to your hip bone!

elvis-glock
          cj-anything but glock
          dochtr-hk or some obscure WWII rifle

god bless.
          LOL! Well said sir!

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
          When you say camp gun, would you need a pistol/revolver for concealed or lightweight/low bag space footprint type?

Or would a Ruger 10/22 take down fit the bill?
          Eventually I'd like to have a 10/22 Take Down (I own a non-take down version right now) but this is mostly for camping in state parks so a rifle (even a .22 LR) might be out of the question.

This would be something I carry concealed (now this has me thinking about that open carry law) while around the camp site, while hiking and fishing, and in the tent at night in case I hear something that goes bump in the night. I would want something that could dispatch animals of both the two and four legged variety. I rarely go camping where bears might be a concern but maybe rabid animals and snakes (I should buy some shot shell loads).

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
            Rossi .44 mag. Cheap, puts holes in things, wheel gun so it always goes bang bang

I have a Rossi .357. Cost me a whopping $299. Can shoot both .38 and .357
            I thought about buying another Taurus in .357 Magnum but so many talk shit about it even though I've never had a problem with my M85. I think Rossi has the same stigma. Can't remember the name of the other brand I was thinking about, think they have a model they call the Pit Bull or something like that. But I've always like Rugers, more so than S&W's which is why I listed that particular model.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
              And what would/do you use?

After this last camping trip I'm thinking I really need to get a good camp gun and that a 1911 may not necessarily be the best choice. I've carried my Taurus M85 a few times while camping and it's a good size and weight and can take a beating but I want something more than a .38 Special. Right now I'm leaning towards a Ruger SP101 in .357 Magnum or maybe a used Glock because they are both around the same price, have adequate power, and can take a beating. Maybe a Glock in 10mm and change it out to shoot .40 S&W/9mm (that can be done right?) for home/conceal carry.

Thoughts?
              I'd prefer a semi-auto just for the capacity + ease of reloading. Not that you'll need it, but if you do, it's handy. Glock 20/29 is a good call. And it's a Glock, so if you lose it in the lake, nobody cares.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

I carry my TCP in my leg pocket of my cargo shorts or back pocket.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Anything but glock.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

keltec sub 2000
                    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                      Anything but glock.
                      2/3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now where is little hitler?

god bless.
                      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
                        Semper Fi

Comment

Long slide .45 with laser aiming scope.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

410/.22 survival gun

Comment

snub nose Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan w/ 2" barrel chambered in .454

/Thread
                              Originally posted by Sean88gt
                              You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
                              Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
                              You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Working...
                              X