FMJ vs JHP, on a bear or tiger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
    Id try and take any shot i could if i was about to get jacked up by a tiger. Head,shoulder,ass,foot i dont give a fuck. Im loading him full of lead before he takes me out. This way if he does get me hopefully the fucker bleeds out too.
    This is reality I think, not like you'll be taking precision shots with several seconds in between them in the case of a tiger coming at ya.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
      A buddy's dad does this because he said: "if I ever need to shoot though the windshield out at an attacker"

and it happened before that when the bearer bonds deal with Van Zant went south.

Comment

Im kinda waiting to see if Lehigh XP ( Xtreme Penetrator ) is released to the public, and if its released in different calibers

Comment

I use 9mm FMJ in my sig 938. I chrono at around 1050fps-1100fps, not enough velocity for full expansion/penetration. I need penetration to kill.
          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
            I use 9mm FMJ in my sig 938. I chrono at around 1050fps-1100fps, not enough velocity for full expansion/penetration. I need penetration to kill.
            This is a great point. CJ or someone with more knowledge than I have should write a short article (maybe Alex on his blog too) about velocity and expansion from short barreled concealment pistols. I have a Springfield XDS in 9mm. I didn't get the 45 ACP because in a 3.3" barrel you don't get the velocity necessary for expansion of 45 for sure. It's a waste really, and the capacity advantage of the 9mm swayed me to the 9mm. And I'm a huge of fan of 45 ACP but in 5" barrel 1911s. I do have a 4" barrel Sig P227, which I'm about to go to the range and shoot incidentally.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
              This is a great point. CJ or someone with more knowledge than I have should write a short article (maybe Alex on his blog too) about velocity and expansion from short barreled concealment pistols. I have a Springfield XDS in 9mm. I didn't get the 45 ACP because in a 3.3" barrel you don't get the velocity necessary for expansion of 45 for sure. It's a waste really, and the capacity advantage of the 9mm swayed me to the 9mm. And I'm a huge of fan of 45 ACP but in 5" barrel 1911s. I do have a 4" barrel Sig P227, which I'm about to go to the range and shoot incidentally.
              9mm may expand to .45", .45 is .45". I'll take my .45's with FMJ's as well. They are slow velocity even out of 7" barrels, they never over penetrate, so that is never a concern.

As far as poor performance in short barrels, .45 is relatively uneffected. Velocity drops by maybe 100fps at the very worst, with a 2" barrel. It's a good caliber in short barrels. 9mm is much more affected.

5" para vs. 3" para is 3fps, and similar across most real world gun tests.

5" VS 3" is 116fps, so it's more more substantial, but still not too bad.

With the added risk of reliability/FTF issues caused by HP's and reduction in penetration in small compact pistols, I don't use them at all in my .45 carry, 9mm, etc. Now, in a full sized pistol with good power I use them to prevent over penetration and wasted energy. If the bullet exits you've wasted a ton of good energy. I don't see any compact 9mm or .45 over penetrating even with FMJ's.
              Last edited by CJ; 09-27-2014, 10:14 AM.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
                A buddy's dad does this because he said: "if I ever need to shoot though the windshield out at an attacker"
                You should point out that once he fires his first round through the windshield, he now has a port. All the other rounds through that port will be unaffected.
                Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
                It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

It seems like some of the newer projectiles do alright out of shorter barrels in gelatin.

Comment

you should also point out, that a hollow point isn't going to do anything different to the windshield than a FMJ round would
                    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

9mm may expand to .45", .45 is .45". I'll take my .45's with FMJ's as well. They are slow velocity even out of 7" barrels, they never over penetrate, so that is never a concern.

As far as poor performance in short barrels, .45 is relatively uneffected. Velocity drops by maybe 100fps at the very worst, with a 2" barrel. It's a good caliber in short barrels. 9mm is much more affected.

5" para vs. 3" para is 3fps, and similar across most real world gun tests.

5" VS 3" is 116fps, so it's more more substantial, but still not too bad.

With the added risk of reliability/FTF issues caused by HP's and reduction in penetration in small compact pistols, I don't use them at all in my .45 carry, 9mm, etc. Now, in a full sized pistol with good power I use them to prevent over penetration and wasted energy. If the bullet exits you've wasted a ton of good energy. I don't see any compact 9mm or .45 over penetrating even with FMJ's.
                      Ive never researched..so are you saying in a xd sub .40 such as i carry..you would run a fmj before a HP?

Comment

Working...
                      X