Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4k tv's - anyone think they're over rated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just replaced my 2009 65" Mitsubishi 60hz DLP with one of the later models that jumped up to 120hz and I love the picture. Any content with fast motion like sports or action Blu-Ray movies look considerably better than the older 60hz set did.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
      It's actually opposite in terms of refresh rate. The new (especially, the cheap ones) LCD/LED TVs have really slow refresh rates. That's normally the cause of the soap opera effect. The Plasma TV that you mentioned actually has a really high refresh rate by default, that's why I have never seen the soap opera effect on a Plasma.

The object of manufacturers these days is to make a paper thin panel that is affordable to the consumer. One of the reasons Plasmas were phased out. Not due to it being an inferior technology, but because you can't make a super thin light weight Plasma TV.
      Plasmas ran too hot. Manufacturers had excessive power supply and panel failures do the heat. That's the real reason they were phased out.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
        Plasmas ran too hot. Manufacturers had excessive power supply and panel failures do the heat. That's the real reason they were phased out.
        This. I never needed a space heater in the winter, just fire up my xbox 360 and 32" plasma. Better than a roaring fire.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
          No, it's not. Never had a single problem with my 50" Panasonic Plasma. And it's a 2012 model. Have a buddy of mine with the same result with an older model. No problem regarding heat or anything else for that matter.

Plasmas are heavier and more fragile to ship than LCD. They are not all that energy efficient, yes. However, one of the main reasons is there is a screen size limitation to Plasma. The "burn in" nonsense is what killed them. There is a pixel orbiter function in the settings that erases burn in, if it happens at all. You have to leave something on pause for quite a while to create burn in. It's not a permanent thing, which was part of some consumers perception. Heck, you can eliminate burn in just by letting it play live tv.

It is an awesome technology platform that was wiped out due to misguided marketing and people wanting affordable thin flat screen LCDs that weigh next to nothing and use little energy.

Thus, the reason why people complain about the soap opera effect on new TVs.

It's not a big deal. I'm not trying to argue with you, but I'm saying it's interesting reading peoples remarks this particular subject.

Comment

Both of my 50" Samsung plasmas could heat up a room in a hurry, but they never had any issues caused by that. I still have one of them (sold the other).

They both did have some "ghosting" (maybe burn-in?) where I could see an outline of the Dish guide box at any time if I looked closely. And it's not like I ever left the guide up on the screen for more than a few minutes at a time. It was really noticeable when the TV was showing mostly black or dark gray. It was never enough to bother me too much.

Comment

Still have my Panasonic 60 inch (58) plasma, it works fine and imo still has a very nice picture. Going on 10 years. It came with the Pana white glove treatment for a year. Right at the expiration date, I had them come out and they replaced the main board nothing was wrong with the old one but it had a new one available and I guess it was a way for them to make money.
              It does heat up, but both of my houses have high vaulted ceilings so I never notice the heat.
              If I get a new TV it will be the new OLED tech, it seems to be the only one that comes close to the picture I have now, but I'm not buying a new one until this one breaks...
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I got the 55” LG OLED and I’ve been very impressed with the picture. My son has gotten himself hooked on Moana (He loves Maui) and the picture quality is flat out first rate. I also got the Wonder Woman UHD disk with HDR and it looks fantastic.

I want ALL of the original Star Wars movies re released in 4K.

Comment

It's actually opposite in terms of refresh rate. The new (especially, the cheap ones) LCD/LED TVs have really slow refresh rates. That's normally the cause of the soap opera effect. The Plasma TV that you mentioned actually has a really high refresh rate by default, that's why I have never seen the soap opera effect on a Plasma.

The object of manufacturers these days is to make a paper thin panel that is affordable to the consumer. One of the reasons Plasmas were phased out. Not due to it being an inferior technology, but because you can't make a super thin light weight Plasma TV.

So basically its a cheapo TV that will have the soap opera effect.

What refresh rates should I be looking for, that will for sure allow me to avoid this unwanted effect? And just to be sure, they do call it the "refresh rate" when they list it under the specs, correct? Or does that vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, depending on what proprietary technology they may have, or what gimmick they may be trying to sling?
                  WH

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                    I got the 55” LG OLED and I’ve been very impressed with the picture. My son has gotten himself hooked on Moana (He loves Maui) and the picture quality is flat out first rate. I also got the Wonder Woman UHD disk with HDR and it looks fantastic.

I want ALL of the original Star Wars movies re released in 4K.
                    I've got the 65" oled. Fantastic tv. Worth the price tag
                    2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
                      I've got the 65" oled. Fantastic tv. Worth the price tag
                      Yea I gave the 65” some serious thought but our living room isn’t that big. But what a damn sweet TV. Even the upscaling from it is pretty sweet.

I got a 4K DirecTV receiver but it isn’t really worth it IMO. There just isn’t enough programming out there to justify it. There is a HELLUVA lot more 4K content on Netflix and Prime.

Comment

No, it's not. Never had a single problem with my 50" Panasonic Plasma. And it's a 2012 model. Have a buddy of mine with the same result with an older model. No problem regarding heat or anything else for that matter.

Plasmas are heavier and more fragile to ship than LCD. They are not all that energy efficient, yes. However, one of the main reasons is there is a screen size limitation to Plasma. The "burn in" nonsense is what killed them. There is a pixel orbiter function in the settings that erases burn in, if it happens at all. You have to leave something on pause for quite a while to create burn in. It's not a permanent thing, which was part of some consumers perception. Heck, you can eliminate burn in just by letting it play live tv.

It is an awesome technology platform that was wiped out due to misguided marketing and people wanting affordable thin flat screen LCDs that weigh next to nothing and use little energy.

Thus, the reason why people complain about the soap opera effect on new TVs.

It's not a big deal. I'm not trying to argue with you, but I'm saying it's interesting reading peoples remarks this particular subject.
                        Hell, your TV and your buddies are fine, everyone else must be full of shit! I had three die from power supplies (yes, three). Burn in was an issue for early generations, later generations had many solutions like pixel shift technology. Many things killed them off, the biggest thing that hit the manufacturers was the heat and short life of the TV's. The fact they had to be shipped vertical and they weighed a ton all factored into the short lifespans. The technology had no future as it was pretty much at it's potential with 1080p. Samsung is quoted in their press release that they moved out of plasma technology due to "unexpected short product lifespan, and excessive warranty claims." They had a class action lawsuit against them about power supply failures which stemmed from "excessive heat build up resulting in premature failure of capacitors." The failures were present in some of their other TV's, however, about three times higher in plasmas.
                        Last edited by CJ; 10-14-2017, 06:27 PM.
                        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ
                          Hell, your TV and your buddies are fine, everyone else must be full of shit!
                          That comment was unnecessary. I said that I wasn't trying to argue with you and it's no big deal.

Originally posted by CJ
                          Samsung is quoted in their press release that they moved out of plasma technology due to "unexpected short product lifespan, and excessive warranty claims." They had a class action lawsuit against them about power supply failures which stemmed from "excessive heat build up resulting in premature failure of capacitors." The failures were present in some of their other TV's, however, about three times higher in plasmas.
                          You are mentioning a Samsung press release. I'm talking about Panasonic Viera plasma. No discernible heat. "Short product lifespan"? Um, no. How many hours do you think I have on the TV from 2012-2017? Works flawlessly. Apparently, Samsung had problems sourcing their components?

Comment

I'll say this for my plasma that is nearing 5yrs old, I have well over 1k hrs playing a single game from Xbone on it and have very little, discernable image retention from the game's HUD. It's been the best TV I've owned. I have family members that have gone through 2 or 3 lcd displays in the time I've had my LG Plasma, but I'm ready to retire it for an oled when the prices come down.

Comment

Working...
                            X