Induction countertops???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
    Negative... the gas cooktop I have is stainless steel and SUPER easy to keep clean.
    What do you use to clean the cast iron?
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
      What do you use to clean the cast iron?
      Paper towel.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
        Also, if the power goes out, you can still cook on gas!
        And heat..

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
          And heat..
          It's Texas, you'll be alright.

Comment

So I bought this and it cleans it up nice after I took my 3.5" flap disc to it and smoothed it all out then re-seasoned it all. It's better than ANY non-stick pan I've ever tried.
            Originally posted by stevo
            Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
              price?
              $500? Its a Bosch NIT3065UC. I paid $1600 from Goedeckers online. I also mispoke. It was only used for a year or year and a half.

Should still be under the factory 5 year warranty and the 10 year Geodeckeres extended warranty.

Comment

Why did you convert to gas?

This will be a hot topic when we build our house, or re-model the next one.
                I grew up using a gas stove. Its available and will be cheaper to use in the long run over electric. We are also converting our water heater when this one is dead.

I definitely prefer it over a conventional electric, however those are the only two I have ever used. Though, I guess other than boiling water faster, there aren't many other benefits.

Thanks for the input. I've always preferred gas. I think my wife's main reasoning for it is that it cleans up easier than a gas cook top
                Boiling water is faster on induction than it is on a 22k btu burner on my gas stove.

Negative... the gas cooktop I have is stainless steel and SUPER easy to keep clean.
                Glass cooktop is way easier to clean. There are no nooks and crannies. Just wipe the flat surface.

Comment

No gas lines at all to house, way too expensive to even think about getting gas into house, so right now, electric is what I have and been using.

From what I read, anything that you can stick a magnet to, will work with induction. Cast iron and induction are a match made in heaven...hahaha

I have about 4 different iron pans. Main thing is the price difference. I've been going this long with regular electric top, so I don't mind staying. If going induction is way to go, then I'll move. Just seeing which brands to stay away from. Looks about my budget is around 1500 give/or take hundo to 2 either way.

We are going to get new pans anyways, and noticed many pans are "induction capable" nowadays.

Power goes out, shit, I got a fireplace I can use...haha

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                    $500? Its a Bosch NIT3065UC. I paid $1600 from Goedeckers online. I also mispoke. It was only used for a year or year and a half.

Should still be under the factory 5 year warranty and the 10 year Geodeckeres extended warranty.

um, I should get 1st dibs on it. Nothing wrong other than you moving to gas

Comment

Why did you convert to gas?

This will be a hot topic when we build our house, or re-model the next one.
                      Gas is significantly easier to cook with, because as mentioned, easier to control heat. LP can be challenging for someone that isn’t used to it, but in general gas is easy and forgiving.

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                      Many people prefer cooking on gas stoves.. I know I would much rather have one and miss it.
                      Yep.

Also, name me the ONE commercial kitchen you find that uses electric cook tops.

Plenty of commercial kitchens use electric. Gas far more common in TX, commercially, but still plenty of applications for electric. Concession, food trucks, and lots of rural schools, churches, etc. Older restaurants. Historic buildings. A lot of accelerated cooking methods are only available in electric.

Electric is and always will be more efficient when it comes to cooking. But gas will always win in ease of use.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Yes, cast iron can be used with induction. Better keep a towel handy. You’ll only grab that handle barehanded once. Also be careful touching the top with a ring on, if the burners are on.

Some stainless pans can be used, some can’t. Depends on what it’s made of. Get new induction ready cookware.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

This is what we have. Make sure you have the right wiring to the cooktop. It requires 50amp.
                          2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
                            um, I should get 1st dibs on it. Nothing wrong other than you moving to gas
                            Nothing at all. It was working great when we pulled it.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                              Glass cooktop is way easier to clean. There are no nooks and crannies. Just wipe the flat surface.
                              I've never spent 1 second cleaning my cooktop... it's fucking magic, I just cook on it and it stays clean! I'll ask the wife if she's ever seen the cleaning fairy though.

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                              Gas is significantly easier to cook with, because as mentioned, easier to control heat. LP can be challenging for someone that isn’t used to it, but in general gas is easy and forgiving.

Plenty of commercial kitchens use electric. Gas far more common in TX, commercially, but still plenty of applications for electric. Concession, food trucks, and lots of rural schools, churches, etc. Older restaurants. Historic buildings. A lot of accelerated cooking methods are only available in electric.
                              Sorry, I was in a hurry writing that and not specific enough. That said, Any 4-5 star restaurant is going to be gas, or in a part of the country that Hillary won the votes...

Electric is the only way to go as you mentioned for accelerated cooking, but as someone who loves to BBQ and take my time cooking I have zero interest in the Instant Pot or the like, but to each his own.
                              Originally posted by stevo
                              Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

What kills me is that my house has gas.. Just the furnace and water heater, though there's a line to the dryer as well (but I already had electric). Why they didn't do the oven and stove is beyond me. Hell, there may be a line already there, but a subsequent remodel capped and hid it.

I know there's a gas heater in the wall in the master bath and also a capped line coming into the room in my office (one of the bedrooms).. The latter is right on the other side of the wall from the meter, so I'm assuming that was a previous owner for heat. This room doesn't get very good air flow from the HVAC.

Hell, we even have a functional gas light in the front yard. It uses mantles like a propane lantern (though I haven't had it on in years)!
                                Last edited by Chili; 08-28-2018, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X