Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a Mceod RXT Twin Disk Clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a Mceod RXT Twin Disk Clutch?

I currently have a nightmare SPEC twin-disk kelvar clutch in my Cobra, can hold 1500-1800HP and is WAAAAYY too much clutch for my car.

Does anyone have the Mcleod RXT clutch? How is it for street? Can it hold high RPM? Does it chatter? Does it engage and slip well? Light pedal feel?

I have not used a SPEC dual disc clutch or the Mcleod before but I have used the OS Giken models in a few cars that I have built for other people and they are soft and consistent.

Normally a dual disc clutch has twice the torque capacity for a given pressure plate load. What problems are you having with what you have now?

FYI: Clutches hold torque and are rated that way. HP is meaningless to a clutch.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

You can probably swap the discs out for the less aggressive ones
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
        I have not used a SPEC dual disc clutch or the Mcleod before but I have used the OS Giken models in a few cars that I have built for other people and they are soft and consistent.

Normally a dual disc clutch has twice the torque capacity for a given pressure plate load. What problems are you having with what you have now?

FYI: Clutches hold torque and are rated that way. HP is meaningless to a clutch.

Very loud chatter with clutch pedal pushed in, on/off engagement with a barely there slip angle on the pedal, will hang at high RPM, and generally miserable to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
          Very loud chatter with clutch pedal pushed in, on/off engagement with a barely there slip angle on the pedal, will hang at high RPM, and generally miserable to drive.
          That sounds like a design issue. I suspect that the SPEC dual disc clutch was put together with out much actual engineering.

Depending on your peak torque you may have to bite the bullet and get a serious clutch. In my RX-7 I dropped the money for a multi disc all carbon setup from AP about 15 years ago and have had zero problems since. With the old factory style clutch the plate load was soo high that I constantly had issues with the clutch hydraulics failing and the factory synchronizers were not strong enough to get into the next gear at 9000rpm when using a stock style disc. With the carbon setup the plate load was very light and the disc had a very small OD and were very light so my shifting issues ended. I have maybe 200-300 1/4 passes on it and maybe 25k of street driving with no problems at all.

Edit: Exactly what friction material are you running? Do you know how much torque your engine is making? Normally I recommend that your peak torque be about 80 percent of the clutches torque rating otherwise you tend to damage the drive line if you are running slicks.
          Last edited by svauto-erotic855; 10-21-2017, 02:19 PM.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I have a Ram 10.5” twin disc in my car. Pedal is super light, not grabby at all, holds a ton of power, but at idle, the floater plate rattle some and there is so much mass, can not power shift. If you take your time on the shift, it works great, but I’m used to a dual friction single disc and flat foot power shifting!

Comment

Originally posted by fastwhite99gt View Post
              I have a Ram 10.5” twin disc in my car. Pedal is super light, not grabby at all, holds a ton of power, but at idle, the floater plate rattle some and there is so much mass, can not power shift.
              This is what I use in my Cobra, its been a nice clutch.
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

My current clutch rattles LOUD, and its not pleasant. Couple that with a motor with a very aggressive cam profile and a shitty on-off clutch, its just not fun.

Comment

Working...
                X