Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ac recharge questions (evap and accumulator)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ac recharge questions (evap and accumulator)

I need some advice. Replacing the evap core and accumulator on my 5.0L explorer. The system is already void of freon. Once the parts are replaced, do i add oil then r134a?? Once the parts are replaced, I plan on running a vacuum pump for 45 minutes to remove any and all moisture. Will that suck out the oil to where I need to re-add the 7oz of pag46 oil? I have the pump and manifold gauges, freon, and pag46 oil. Someone with experience please respond on how to properly recharge my system after the parts replacement.
    Specs call for 26oz r143a / 7oz PAG46 oil
    (Where do I pour this oil?)

You would not need to add the full volume of oil, just close to what was within the two components you are replacing. Someone who has done this specific job may have a better idea of the volume to add, but I would guess about half of what is quoted for charging a new clean system. Pour the oil into both the evaporator and accumulator.

If you still have the old parts and none of oil leaked you can also just drain them into a container and measure the the oil volume they contained

Comment

Put 2 ounces into the inlet side of the evaporator and 3 ounces in the accumulator. I'd the system had a leak and you had bennets using it prior to this. Majority of the oil was likely trapped in the evaporator. Physically pour the oil in the components before. Installing them, then vacuum for 45 minutes to an hour at least and charge it.

Comment

The "correct" way is to use a recovery machine that'll add the oil after pulling a vacuum through the test ports. All you really need to worry about though is damaging the compressor from hydrolock so don't add it anywhere on the suction side between the evaporator and the compressor and you should be fine. It'll mix with the refrigerant and settle where it's needed.

This is assuming you have a pre oiled compressor btw. Most aftermarket remans are.

Comment

Working...
        X