Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Credit Freeze... anybody tried this with TransUnion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Freeze... anybody tried this with TransUnion?

I want to lock down credit reporting for myself, Robin (my wife) and my Mom... at $10.00 per program to lock (and 10.00 to unlock) x 3 agencies, it's getting complicated and expensive.

This is a program they're (TransUnion) pushing rather than a "Credit Freeze"... they say no cost to participate, easy to sign up, free this, free that, NO Catch.

So, What's the catch?

What say you DFWM experts?

mardyn

There is no catch. My wife and I actually had somebody fraudulently file our tax returns in 2015. We did a credit freeze on Transunion and Equifax. It worked. We had our credit info stolen when Home Depot was massively hacked in 2014. They took care of us. We got a phone call any time someone was trying to open up a line of credit. It's legit. IRS gave us a PIN# for future filings.
    Last edited by LS1Goat; 10-04-2017, 07:41 AM.

Comment

I just make sure my credit is always shitty.. That way the scammers can't get anything in my name!

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
        I just make sure my credit is always shitty.. That way the scammers can't get anything in my name!
        They can file a fraudulent tax return in your name to get your tax refund.

Comment

I did it not to long ago...I have a common name and had someone trying to get a car in my name.

No catch to it did it and now it expired.
          Originally posted by Da Prez
          Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
          Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
            It was a joke..

BTW, out of curiosity how does placing a credit hold on your CBR prevent them from filing a fraudulent return?

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
              It was a joke..

BTW, out of curiosity how does placing a credit hold on your CBR prevent them from filing a fraudulent return?
              It makes it harder for identity thieves to open financial accounts in your name. It also makes it harder for someone to fraudulently using your name to deposit money in their account.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                It makes it harder for identity thieves to open financial accounts in your name. It also makes it harder for someone to fraudulently using your name to deposit money in their account.
                I know how that works as far as the credit hold, I was responding to the comment that they can still get your tax return. My question is, hold or not, would that have anything to do with the tax return? I don't see how but I don't know everything... Yet....

Comment

Well. I just opted for the Credit Freeze with TU... cost was $10.00 each for myself and my Mom, Robin is doing hers after she pulls the latest reports..

While the free service might work OK, it seems to be kinda' a marketing gimmick to gather info and an avenue for them to try and sell more services...

and particularly after trying to call in yesterday and having to listen to 20 minutes of BS sales ads before you could get a live person on the line... it was $10.00 well spent.

mardyn

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                    What's this refund you speak of?? Fuck loaning the government my money with no interest.

Comment

Never get tax refunds myself either.

Comment

Hoping someone steals my identity and pays my huge tax bill this year.
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                        Originally posted by racrguy
                        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Froze my credit with all agencies in 2015 after someone opened a Home Depot account in my name. It's just a hassle in case you want to finance something or open a new utility account. You can unlock it with a fee and then lock it back with a fee, a lot less than the monthly charge for lifelock tho. Hasn't been much of a problem and have had minimal issues by freezing my credit.

Comment

Working...
                          X