CAF Wings Over Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
    So that was part of the resto and not just for revenue flights?
    Not sure, I do know they removed most all of the armor and gun sites and systems to lighten the bird up. Part of that was the heavy pressurization lines and valves.
    Last edited by likeitfast55; 10-10-2017, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
      So that was part of the resto and not just for revenue flights?
      I don't think any of the B29's can be pressurized. I think it's something to do with the air frame certification.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
        I don't think any of the B29's can be pressurized. I think it's something to do with the air frame certification.
        There are only two that are airworthy. FiFi and Doc. FiFi is the only one that will allow paid rides. On 17 July 2016, Doc flew for the first time since 1956.
        The main reason they have no pressurization is because the turbo's were removed. That limits the motors to about 10 to 12k feet. No need to pressurize .

Originally the air for pressurization came from the inboard turbos on #2 and #3.

Comment

turbosuperchargers

If I had a favorite word, that would be it.
          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
            turbosuperchargers

If I had a favorite word, that would be it.
            yeah...turbosuperchargers is an awesome word! The world needs moar of them.

Comment

Originally posted by likeitfast55 View Post
              There are only two that are airworthy. FiFi and Doc. FiFi is the only one that will allow paid rides. On 17 July 2016, Doc flew for the first time since 1956.
              The main reason they have no pressurization is because the turbo's were removed. That limits the motors to about 10 to 12k feet. No need to pressurize .

Originally the air for pressurization came from the inboard turbos on #2 and #3.
              Why were the turbos removed?
              G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                Why were the turbos removed?
                Called one of my buds on the FiFi crew. He said that the maintenance required vs the need was the factor. It was built as a high altitude bomber. Since that is no longer necessary, the decision was made to remove them and keep the flight plans under fl100.

Comment

I had no idea another B-29 was airworthy again. That is fucking awesome!

One day I need fo pay for a ride on a WW2 era plane. Always wanted to do it and have never forked over the money.
                  I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                    I had no idea another B-29 was airworthy again. That is fucking awesome!

One day I need fo pay for a ride on a WW2 era plane. Always wanted to do it and have never forked over the money.
                    DO IT.

It is fun of course. You are supporting people that are passionate about keeping them in the air. And there will be a day when the parts, skills, and money to keep them flying will be gone. Sad but true. I'm flying in one per year until I get to fly in them all.

Comment

Called one of my buds on the FiFi crew. He said that the maintenance required vs the need was the factor. It was built as a high altitude bomber. Since that is no longer necessary, the decision was made to remove them and keep the flight plans under fl100.
                      Thanks
                      G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                        Yes sir. You're welcome to join us if you haven't already had your fill of warbirds.
                        And here's our hero preparing for his flight

Last edited by Strychnine; 10-16-2017, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Ha, right on! Thanks for making it out.

After we landed, and the pilot pulled the canopy back, I took off my headset during the taxi back to the hangar. I leaned my head back and closed my eyes to soak in the lope of that big Merlin, the wind from the prop, the avgas from the exhaust. It's hard to articulate how sweet that was.
                          Last edited by 46Tbird; 05-08-2018, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X