NetflixSlamsISP Bandwidth Caps InThe WallStreetJournal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetflixSlamsISP Bandwidth Caps InThe WallStreetJournal

Tom's Hardware helps you buy the best hardware and build the best PC to play, create and work..

According to Hyman, "Bandwidth caps with fees piled on top are a lousy way to manage traffic." He goes on to accuse ISP’s of creating the false impression among consumers that “bandwidth is a scarce resource and that imposing caps and overage fees will relieve pressure on high-speed networks." Many high profile ISP’s have very publically come out against bandwidth caps as a method of controlling infrastructure costs, and almost all network experts seem to agree that the cost of delivering 1GB of data is around one cent, and falling at a rapid pace. "Wireline bandwidth is an almost unlimited resource due to advances in Internet architecture. Adding more capacity is easy.”

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...street_journal

According to Hyman, "Bandwidth caps with fees piled on top are a lousy way to manage traffic." He goes on to accuse ISP’s of creating the false impression among consumers that “bandwidth is a scarce resource and that imposing caps and overage fees will relieve pressure on high-speed networks." Many high profile ISP’s have very publically come out against bandwidth caps as a method of controlling infrastructure costs, and almost all network experts seem to agree that the cost of delivering 1GB of data is around one cent, and falling at a rapid pace. "Wireline bandwidth is an almost unlimited resource due to advances in Internet architecture. Adding more capacity is easy.”
    Too bad stories like this won't change anything.

Comment

I've got a 1Gb cap a day on my net right now but I live outside the city. Pisses me off because I pay so much but then get capped.
      2004 Mustang GT: BBK shorty headers, BBK O/R X, Flowmaster catback, JLT cold air, Trickflow 75mm TB and Plenum, UD pulleys, upper and lower CA's, 3.73, SCT XCal 2 ---- SOLD

Comment

tell that to my AT&T dsl service!!! money hungry sons of bitches

Comment

Fios.
          Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris View Post
            Fios.
            Shit, mine seems to get slowed down All the time. Thinking about switching......

Comment

I have FIOS Internet and I downloaded 1.3 Gig last month according to my router logs. I average about 1 Gig every month between Netflix HD streaming and periodic CPanel Home directory/My SQL backups for some of the sites I manage.

I've never been capped or received any notices. Well, as of yet.

Comment

Tim, did you mean 1.3TB?

Comment

lol I do over 4 gb on my cell phone.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFord19 View Post
                    lol I do over 4 gb on my cell phone.
                    You too huh? This is 11 days into my billing cycle and zero tethering.

Next Bill Cycle: 08/06/2011 Data (MB): 3420.3 of Unlimited Messaging: 2264 of Unlimited

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                      Tim, did you mean 1.3TB?
                      Yea, I think I made a typo.

Here's my router log for total data from June. This is just for the Premium QoS traffic I've designated for VOIP phone and video streaming traffic. Even with everything aggregated, I don't think I get near Terabyte levels.

DD-WRT (build 13064) June 2011 (Incoming: 138,375 MB / Outgoing: 3,519 MB)

135 Gigabytes downloaded over 30 days

Comment

Working...
                      X