Win7 Image backup with an SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win7 Image backup with an SSD

Well, I've had some Hard Drive hell going on at the homestead as of late, and I'm saving up a little cash to get a new SSD if I can't get the old one to be seen in the bios again.

I'm doing some firmware updates this weekend to try to get the bastard running again...

Anyway...

That being said, once a "working" SSD is in it will be my boot drive (C) and I will have a standard 1TB HDD as my data (D)

Question is, if my SSD frags again, will the Win 7 Image Backup utility work when transferring the image from a standard HDD to an SSD?

whats wrong with your ssd? make/model/firmware?

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
      whats wrong with your ssd? make/model/firmware?
      It's a Patriot Torqx 128 MB SSD, dunno what the firmware Rev is right now...

It just stopped being recognized by the bios one day.

I haven't really had time to troubleshoot it correctly, but I'll make sure the mobo drivers\firmware are up to date and I'll see if the Patriot firmware update software sees the drive as a secondary.

From a small bit of research this drive is "known" to do this and has firmware issues.... I think its still under a manufacturer's warranty but the word on the street is Patriot's RMA response can be incredibly slow, so I may just buy a new drive model that isn't known to brick itself....

Anyway, my original backup question is for when I get a new drive, so I'm not out data if this happens again...

Comment

As long as both drives use the same controller type...i.e. SATA/SATA, ATA/ATA, SCSI/SCSI, you shouldn't have a problem restoring the image.

And even if they aren't the same, all you have to do is an in place upgrade install of Windows 7 and it will detect the new hardware.

Comment

Working...
        X