slooow computer help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slooow computer help

Guys my Dell desktop computer with xp seems to be getting so slow. The fan over the heat sink thing runs all the time and gets louder and louder as its thinking about changing screens. Unsually it will change but might take 10-15 seconds and other times it will lock up and I have to close explorer (even that takes a minute or longer using Cntrl / alt / delete )
    It seems to be the worst when I go to my Verizon Email.

I get a box with the following message and its a good bet it lock up right after

Stop running this script?

A script on this page is causeing Internet Explorer to run slowly If it contiuues to run you computer may become unresponsive

yes no

I have run CCcleaner and restarted but it has not helped. I couple years ago I had a power supply go out and it was cheaper to buy a whole computer off ebay so I have parts computer I can rob something off of if needed.

Any ideas?

6-25-10 RIP Chloe Rene Daddy loves you always

78 Suburban (slammed with LS in future)
    54 Olds 88 2dr HT
    12 Camaro SS convertible

What have you done in the way of checking for malware? How long has it been since you cleaned out your tower, ie: blown the dust out of the heat sink and fan? Have you tried running IE w/out add ons?

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
      What have you done in the way of checking for malware?
      I have not done anything other than what avast checks

How long has it been since you cleaned out your tower, ie: blown the dust out of the heat sink and fan? ?
      Today and made no difference

Have you tried running IE w/out add ons?
      Not sure how to do that or what you mean. You want to talk about degreeing a cam or welding a rust patch that's more my area LOL

54 Olds 88 2dr HT
      12 Camaro SS convertible

Comment

Could you possibly elaborate a little more about the hardware in this desktop (processor, memory, video card if possible)? If this is an older tower with a Celeron or AMD single core processor or only has like 512mb of memory I can likely tell you SOME of your problems. A little more info can go a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
          Could you possibly elaborate a little more about the hardware in this desktop (processor, memory, video card if possible)? If this is an older tower with a Celeron or AMD single core processor or only has like 512mb of memory I can likely tell you SOME of your problems. A little more info can go a long way.
          pendium 4 cpu 3.0 GHZ 1.99 GB ram is about all I know and shows up in the control panel.

54 Olds 88 2dr HT
          12 Camaro SS convertible

Comment

try using firefox or better yet google chrome
            WRX

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
              try using firefox or better yet google chrome
              Do you not have issues with chrome eating inordinate amounts of memory like ff used to when it had the memory leak problems?

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead78 View Post
                pendium 4 cpu 3.0 GHZ 1.99 GB ram is about all I know and shows up in the control panel.
                While thats no gaming rig you should not have any problems surfing the web.

Comment

Working...
                X