Question about car rental...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about car rental...

I'm renting a car in a couple weeks for vacation and was curious about buying their insurance? Is it a waste? Should I just stick with my insurance in the off chance something happens?
    Detailing is an Obsession!!

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000

Fox Coupe "Calypso Killer"

Have always stuck with my own ins.

Comment

It's rare that I get their coverage, mostly b/c I don't anticipate anything happening.
      About the only time I'll pay for it is when we're up in the mountains in winter.

Comment

Waste of money. Roll the dice with your own insurance.

Comment

I was told years ago that the only thing your own personal insurance wouldn't cover (that the rental company's would) is lost revenue from the down time of the vehicle. Ie, you have an at fault accident in their car and it takes a month to repair, your insurance covers the damages but you'd have to come out pocket for the month of lost revenue to the company.

Fuck if I know if that's actually correct.
          Originally posted by davbrucas
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Most credit cards require that you do the following in order for their coverage to kick in:

•Decline the rental company's collision damage waiver (CDW/LDW).
            •Be the primary renter of the car.
            •Pay for the car in full with the card that provides the protection.
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

I never get their insurance. Sometimes depending on the airport and car I might prepay for fuel though. Book it on a single MC or Visa and you get their coverage for up $50k or so plus whatever your own insurance covers. Also if you plan on letting someone else drive book through Costco if you can, you get a free added driver with them. Avis will cover a spouse already but Costco's deal adds anyone else that's legal and with you when you pick up the vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                I never get their insurance. Sometimes depending on the airport and car I might prepay for fuel though. Book it on a single MC or Visa and you get their coverage for up $50k or so plus whatever your own insurance covers. Also if you plan on letting someone else drive book through Costco if you can, you get a free added driver with them. Avis will cover a spouse already but Costco's deal adds anyone else that's legal and with you when you pick up the vehicle.
                We always go through costco because of the driver deal. Prices change frequently so if costco isnt the cheapest the next day it may be.

As slow99 stated personal insurance and the CC wont cover their lost revenue which scares people but it would mean that would have to sell completely out of that class of car. It is not just lost revenue on that individual car. I am not saying they wont charge you but you would have to dispute it.
                2006 Civic SI
                2009 Pilot
                1988 GT
                CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

I only get the extra coverage when I get something fun or go on a outdoorsy trip. Besides that, hell nah.

Comment

call your insurance company and discuss it with them. If it is in another state, you may not be covered due to some stupid local law. Best to ask them instead of a bunch of internet dumbasses like us.

I have a pretty sweet deal through work and can rent so cheap, it pays to get the rental insurance and walk away. considering my deductible is $500, it would take several days at $15/day to make it not worth my while to not have a claim on my personal insurance.

Comment

take lots of pics of your rental car before leaving the rent lot. that's cheap insurance

Comment

Most major credit cards will cover the rental vehicle damages if you damage the vehicle.

If you have a standard insurance policy more than likely your insurance policy should transfer over to borrowed/rented property. As other have stated though, nobody will cover loss of use or loss of revenue to the rental company. However, I find it hard to believe you will have to be responsible, they will have to prove that there were no other vehicles available for rental and not just loss of revenue for that one particular vehicle. I haven't seen any loss of use claims ever paid.
                        Allstate Insurance
                        Dominguez Agency
                        1101 E. Bardin Rd. suite 141
                        Arlington, TX. 76018
                        817-405-2011
                        tdominguez@allstate.com
                        Give us a call so we can take a look at your insurance needs, we may be able to save you $$!!

Comment

I was in a rental and hit someone (their fault), which totalled it. The rental company (Alamo) tried to come after me for loss of use and get this, for not turning in the vehicle full! The same vehicle that was totalled and sitting in a wrecking yard! lol.

I called them and first pointed out the fuel, which they promptly removed, and when I pushed on the loss of use, the person essentially said they do that to pad the claim but if insurance doesn't cover it, they won't pursue. They had billed my card already, but refunded it after my call.

Comment

Ever get hail damage on a rental car? Lots of people losing their shit about paying out of pocket to fix hail dents on rental cars.

Comment

Working...
                            X