DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > God and Country

God and Country Politics and Religion

Old 02-25-2021, 01:31 PM   #41
cool cat
Lifer

Didn't the people with adjustable rate mortgages loose their ass and/or house when the economy tanked in 08-09? If so same shit different year.
cool cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #42
bubbaearl
Lifer

my bill through the coop is normal .
bubbaearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:57 PM   #43
The King
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceweezl View Post
This one cracks me up. They signed up for the plan. Griddy didn't raise the cost of the power they purchase -- ERCOT did. Somehow Griddy is now being sued for following the terms they laid out to everyone. So dumb.
I've been using a minimum of one year fixed-price contracts with electric providers ever since leaving TXU back in 2003. Finally got those to renew outside of hurricane season, and when the next big one hits the gulf contract rates will most certainly rise for some time afterward. My current contract expires in April, expecting considerably higher rates come renewal time this year due to these recent winter supply issues and all of the negative press being heaped on electric service providers.

Last edited by The King; 02-26-2021 at 08:04 AM.
The King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:22 PM   #44
Broncojohnny
Lifer

Where this all ends is in a financial crisis. Every time they raise the amount of the national debt, it lowers the maximum interest rate that the federal budget can tolerate. Right now the debt is about $27T and it has been doubling every eight years. In sixteen years it will be over a hundred trillion.

The problem here is that the Treasury markets and not the Fed or the government determine interest rates. Today you saw the 10 year jump up fairly significantly and it scared some people. That happened because no one was buying the debt. Just wait until there is a single whiff of default and watch what rates will do. Go look at rates in 1983 for an example, people were paying 18% interest on cars. Those rates were caused by the Fed in reaction to inflation. The next time they go up I have a feeling it will be because of a lack of buyers, IE something they can't control.

Make no mistake, rates that are only slightly high in a historical context, say 6%, will destroy the economy overnight. It will be a fucking disaster, housing will stop cold, car sales will shit the bed (and the car companies will fail) and capital for silicon valley will disappear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy View Post
Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.
Broncojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #45
Chili
Joe Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohnny View Post
Where this all ends is in a financial crisis. Every time they raise the amount of the national debt, it lowers the maximum interest rate that the federal budget can tolerate. Right now the debt is about $27T and it has been doubling every eight years. In sixteen years it will be over a hundred trillion.

The problem here is that the Treasury markets and not the Fed or the government determine interest rates. Today you saw the 10 year jump up fairly significantly and it scared some people. That happened because no one was buying the debt. Just wait until there is a single whiff of default and watch what rates will do. Go look at rates in 1983 for an example, people were paying 18% interest on cars. Those rates were caused by the Fed in reaction to inflation. The next time they go up I have a feeling it will be because of a lack of buyers, IE something they can't control.

Make no mistake, rates that are only slightly high in a historical context, say 6%, will destroy the economy overnight. It will be a fucking disaster, housing will stop cold, car sales will shit the bed (and the car companies will fail) and capital for silicon valley will disappear.
Honestly, I was expecting that to happen in 2020, which was one of the reasons we didn't buy a house when we sold the old one. I was gun-shy and worried that I'd buy at these high prices and everything would tank as we fall into another recession.. I think covid and stimulus money have just been delaying the inevitable.

But I could also be drastically wrong! haha
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:41 PM   #46
kingjason
Notorious PIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman View Post
Smells like Metamucil and Golden Age Syndrome in here. Kids today are smarter than they've ever been. Just like throughout the rest of history, when the old fucks took one example of something and applied it to an entire generation. I'm surprised most of you Gen X'ers don't remember the Boomers doing that to us throughout the 90's. Yet here we are, doing fine. Slackers indeed.
I never said they were not smart. I think the coping skills and self accountability are gone. Not all of them, but a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Honestly, I was expecting that to happen in 2020, which was one of the reasons we didn't buy a house when we sold the old one. I was gun-shy and worried that I'd buy at these high prices and everything would tank as we fall into another recession.. I think covid and stimulus money have just been delaying the inevitable.

I am ready for the crash. Fucking Jerry Jones just bought a corner of I35 and 287. I am so tired of my taxes jumping the max every year. Then they still want to up the percentages for more school taxes. We have lost our minds on what kids need to learn in this country. Not a baby white house that is for sure or a 500 million dollar stadium. I really thought I had longer before this place went nuts down here.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:38 PM   #47
Gasser64
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post
You're nuttier than a squirrel turd, but I'd sign up for this position in a heart beat.
I prefer the term "visionary"

Quote:

When this happens, is there any chance of those 2.5 million dollar mansions going back down to $800k? Asking for a friend.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:00 PM   #48
Broncojohnny
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser64 View Post
When this happens, is there any chance of those 2.5 million dollar mansions going back down to $800k? Asking for a friend.
Prices may drop a little but generally speaking, people who own $2.5M houses don't have to sell them and they won't. Interest rates will go high as shit and no one will sell or buy unless they have to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racrguy View Post
Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.
Broncojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM   #49
scootro
Lifer

it passed last night now off to the senate for voting
scootro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM   #50
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post

Funny enough, I was expecting something similar, however, the housing market has stayed quite strong in this area. The comoany I work for has been in business 35+ years and we had a record year last year, and this year is looking to be just as strong. We typically have 20-30 presales in each neighborhood as they come online or as the next phase comes available.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
black2002ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM   #51
Gasser64
Lifer

Quote:
Prices may drop a little but generally speaking, people who own $2.5M houses don't have to sell them and they won't. Interest rates will go high as shit and no one will sell or buy unless they have to.
Maybe you can fill in the blanks for me here but..

When I bought my house the interest rates were at an all time low. And the house had just taken a price cut by $30k. Housing was generally in the shitter, it was a buyer's market.

Since I was looking so hard for a house, I ran across many that seemed like they should be worth millions, but they were only in the hundreds of thousands. Big, nice 8,500 square foot houses for $600k-900k. What would cause that to happen again?

Dunno, maybe they were poorly constructed McMansions or something. Then again maybe not.
Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM   #52
black2002ls
Lifer
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser64 View Post
Maybe you can fill in the blanks for me here but..

When I bought my house the interest rates were at an all time low. And the house had just taken a price cut by $30k. Housing was generally in the shitter, it was a buyer's market.

Since I was looking so hard for a house, I ran across many that seemed like they should be worth millions, but they were only in the hundreds of thousands. Big, nice 8,500 square foot houses for $600k-900k. What would cause that to happen again?

Dunno, maybe they were poorly constructed McMansions or something. Then again maybe not.
Build cost has gone up considerably, just in the last 10 years. I saw sales price increases based on cost of materials on the 20-30% range in a few years time.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
black2002ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #53
Gasser64
Lifer

We seem to be in a bubble now though. Gotta pop eventually..

And I'll be waiting.

Tags
gasr chortles the cock, nay luvs dem demonic-rats, naynus needs free shit, single payer health ftw, talisman faps to marx, talisman is a dem