question about wireless AP's (Cisco)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about wireless AP's (Cisco)

I'm trying to find an alternative solution to buying a Fluke device to get data from an access point. Long story short, we have numerous campuses which most have an aironet access point in each classroom. I'd like to connect to each one and change the AP name for easier management from the wireless controller. Unfortunately buying a Fluke is not within our budget. How else can I do this?

I basically need something that can detect what AP I'm closest to and at least give the current AP name. Looks like by default they were all set to the mac address and I don't want to get a ladder, remove them from the ceiling and connect to each one to get this info. TIA

Are your drops...etc labeled? Could use CDP. I guess, really you'd need documentation from the cabling crew on that one - guess you don't have that?

Airmagnet maybe something to look into. We use them for surveys, but not 100% sure they'll do what you want.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Will this work? It will give you the MAC and SSID. It's free, and no special network adapter needed. Works great. http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Comment

What wireless controller are you using? If it's WCS, can't you just change the AP name from there? (It's been a while since I've used WCS)

Comment

Keep a spreadsheet that has MAC in one column and classroom name in the other column?
          WRX

Comment

Is changing your wireless system completely an option? We're converting over 150 properties over to the ARUBA systems. I haven't found anything this system can't do within reason. It goes as far as using triangulation to tell me where someone is in on our property when they're connected through wifi.
            Originally posted by Jester
            Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
            He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
            Originally posted by Denny
            What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
            FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
              Are your drops...etc labeled? Could use CDP. I guess, really you'd need documentation from the cabling crew on that one - guess you don't have that?

Airmagnet maybe something to look into. We use them for surveys, but not 100% sure they'll do what you want.
              I want to recall the AP drops are labeled but they're above the ceiling tiles. Negative on the documentation...I'm sure the vendor we use for buildouts/maintenance might have something, but it's like pulling teeth to get stuff from them.

Will this work? It will give you the MAC and SSID. It's free, and no special network adapter needed. Works great. http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
              this actually may work. I had to filter one SSID but the graph shows the strongest(closest) AP at the top. As I walk to another AP, the signal drops and another AP signal goes up. Only downside is that the mac address shown is actually the base radio mac. To see the base radio mac address, I have to click on each access point, in the wireless controller, till I find the right one...not too bad though. Good find!

What wireless controller are you using? If it's WCS, can't you just change the AP name from there? (It's been a while since I've used WCS)
              We're using Cisco Wireless LAN Controllers. I can change the name in the controller but it doesn't tell me which AP I'm nearest so that I assign a name to the correct AP.

Keep a spreadsheet that has MAC in one column and classroom name in the other column?
              these are purchased and installed in bulk by a 3rd party vendor so I'm not given this info before hand.

Is changing your wireless system completely an option? We're converting over 150 properties over to the ARUBA systems. I haven't found anything this system can't do within reason. It goes as far as using triangulation to tell me where someone is in on our property when they're connected through wifi.
              Not really, we're a Cisco shop here (not that I mind) and each campus is basically a cookie cutter design regarding hardware and configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                these are purchased and installed in bulk by a 3rd party vendor so I'm not given this info before hand.
                Yeah use a wireless sniffer and walk to each classroom near the AP. Record the MAC of the one with the strongest signal, and the classroom description.
                WRX

Comment

documentation?! fuck documentation!
                  2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

2011 GMC Terrain SLT2

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

Comment

Working...
                  X