Wireless issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless issues

We just made changes to the wireless security at work on Friday. Since then, we have 5 desktops (non-domain) that are unable to maintain a wireless connection.

What we went from:

WPA-Personal
    TKIP

What we went to:

WPA2-Personal
    AES

I have replaced the crappy USB wireless adapters with PCIe adapters, but the issue still remains. I have also done the usual ipconfig /flushdns, /release, /renew along with netsh winsock reset and ip reset.

I also attempted to change the wireless channel in hopes that it would clear up possible interference that might be causing this. Unfortunately, a clear channel in my office does not make for a clear channel by these desktops, so that was reverted.

What could I be missing?
    كافر

Originally posted by sc281
    Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
    Originally posted by Trick Pony
    ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

update:

I tried an older driver for the PCIe card, but getting the same results. I also disabled the power off setting in Device Manager, but it didn't help.

A little more info on the issue. Each of these desktops connects just fine, but after a couple minutes, they still show connected, but the Network and Sharing Center diagram shows no connection from the gateway to the internet. There are about 20 other machines connecting through the same gateway and none of them are having this problem.

All 5 machines are Windows 7 Pro, none of which are joined to the domain.
    كافر

Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
    ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

So they're just randomly losing connection, or only after going idle? Because there are two separate places for network adapter power settings, and if you only changed one, then the other is probably making it lose connection when the computer goes idle.

Comment

It takes about 2 minutes to lose connection...doesn't matter if I am surfing the net or not. And when I say lose connection, I mean it shows to still be connected to the AP, just no connection to the outside world. I also cannot ping internally when this happens.

I setup another router as a temporary AP using the old security settings and they works fine. I just can't leave that router in place.
        Last edited by HOOCBB; 01-22-2013, 05:50 PM.
        كافر

Comment

its has to be the gateway.

Comment

It's not the gateway. None of the 20+ laptops have connection issues now. They were, that's why the security change was even attempted to start with...to see if it would help with that issue.
            كافر

Comment

How old is the original AP? Could be going bad? Is the old AP set to DHCP?

Comment

It's a SonicPoint AP (maybe a year old) that was configured as a virtual access point through the SonicWall router/gateway/firewall. We recreated the SSID outside of the virtual settings and it seems to work fine for now with a couple extra tweaks to get the laptops going again.
                كافر

Comment

Originally posted by HOOCBB View Post
                  It's a SonicPoint AP (maybe a year old) that was configured as a virtual access point through the SonicWall router/gateway/firewall. We recreated the SSID outside of the virtual settings and it seems to work fine for now with a couple extra tweaks to get the laptops going again.
                  Cool. I was asking about DHCP because I've seen Wireless Access Points giving out bad addresses/duplicate addresses instead of having pass-thru enabled and that can really fuck some stuff up network wise, lol.

Comment

Seems like that may be a known issue. Maybe this will help some...

Forum discussion: May this info save fellow admins valuable time and unnecessary stress... This is about Sonicwall, the network equipment used in our school. To be fair, during the time we encounter problems, we are using the following: Model: Sonicwall NSA 2400 Fir

What about cell phones? Do each of these 25 users connect their phones through this AP?

Comment

Working...
                    X