Motivation /Tracking Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motivation /Tracking Thread

I figured we all talked about it in the other threads, so here goes.

Use this thread to keep track of your progress, or pictures, etc. Make this a place to come for motivation if you need it.

Let's keep all the "you suck fatty" type comments to the other threads and leave this one alone for those who want to keep track of their progress.

I'll start it off:

Currently I'm 285 lbs, my heaviest was oer 350 lbs 10 years ago, I've always hovered around this weight, even though I've gotten down to as low as 255. My current goals are just generally to get in better shape and feel better about myself. My diet is now 90% on point, and contains mostly lean proteins, whole grains, fruits and veggies. I do have an occassional diet soda here and there, but I try to drink two gallons of water a day and get at least 7-8 hours of sleep a day.

My gym times have been hit or miss, but I really hope to get back at least 4-5 days a week after work, and one day on the weekends. I'm trying to focus more on complex lifts, deadlifts, stiff leg deadlifts, bench, squat, front squat, shoulder press, upright rows, etc. as my main lifting focus, and adding other exercises as I progress. Cardio is my downfall right now, but I plan to start integrating some sprints on the treadmill this week after lifting.

I quit smoking mid January and other than one drag off of a cigarette the first week, I've 100% quit, and don't ever plan to look back. I've also cut my drinking down to almost non existant. I did drink a few beers at the Superbowl party I went to, but other than that I've had 2 beers since January.

My goal at 6'4 is to be around 220-230 and 15% body fat for now.

1/16 - 287 lbs
    1/23 - 303 lbs (not sure why)
    2/7 - 286 lbs
    2/9 - 282 lbs
    2/15 - 279 lbs
    2/18 - 277.5 lbs
    2/21 - 274 lbs
    2/28 - 272 lbs
    3/9 - 269 lbs
    3/21 - 266 lbs
    4/14 - 261.5 lbs
    Last edited by Silverback; 04-14-2011, 08:48 AM.

I'm currently 5'7 at 220lbs, I've lost about 12lbs over the past year. I was at 232lbs which was my heaviest ever. My motivation is killing me, I'll get back into things then after a couple weeks I fall back out. I've got to get my shit together and finish what I'm starting here.

My short-term goal is within 2 months to be as close to 200lbs as possible, alot of cardio and weights will be taking place. Long-term goal is back to the 185lb with 11% (or less)BF mark I was once at when I was in my prime!

I don't smoke, and rarely ever drink. Working on adjusting my eating habits and eating healthier too.

Comment

I read something pretty interesting about motivation:

While motivation is responsible for creating action, action is also responsible for creating more motivation. One cannot exist without the other.

So just the action of going to the gym one time, adds a little more motivation to get you to go the next time, and so on.

Also if you can do something for 30 days straight, it's more likely to become habit, versus something you're trying to do. For going to the gym, it's not 30 days in a row, but 30 days of actually going to the gym, so if you go 3 days a week, it could take you 10 weeks before it becomes a habit.

Comment

6'0 230ish here.

The heaviest I ever got to was 265 in September. The doc said I had diabetese, so I knew right then and there the best way to fix myself wass to shed alot of weight. I lpst about 35lbs since then and my goal is to be 200 by June 1. Seems like a long way away but I feel better making it a long process rather than short term. I am developing habits along the way, not just a quick fix kind of thing.

I am not working out. I just don't know how to motivate myself to run in the morning, and I don't have time for working out in the PM. So I do little things like walk 5 flights of stairs after work to my car. I walk a few blocks to the parking garage. Simple little things really.

Comment

Currently I am at 116.5lbs(doctors scale) and I'm trying to hit the gym atleast 4-5 times a week. I will go for weeks and eat "clean" and go to the gym 5 days a week, then I'll slack and eat bad a day or two and only work out 2-3 times a week. I am getting my motivation back though, hopefully Brooks will keep me in check too. As of right now I'm wanting to lean up a little more and hit weights hard to gain a good amount of muscle. I have done something to my sciatic nerve so I haven't been doing any lower body weight training.. Just running and weight training my upper half.

My long term goal- compete in some sort of "body building" competition.
          My main goal- be the healthiest I've ever been and continue from there..

Comment

Weighed in at 171 today woot. Thats down from 176 and let me tell you for me thats an accomplishment. I can barely walk my knee's are killing me. My lifts continue to grow. This is my third month and ive prob went two of that. My bench has went from the bar 45 4x10. My best is 125 4x10
            I started with one pull up and can do 4-5 now.

I want to focus some more time on cardio, when and if the knee's will let me. If not ill just have to swim a few days a week. I'd prefer to run, and biking indoors is extra booring.

My goals are very short term goals. For me it keeps me going. Ill add 2.5 pounds a week to my lifts until i plateu or my newbness gets used to it. Once the knee gets better i was up to 6 min before having to walk for a min and then i would alternate 2 min running/ one walk.

My diet is as on point as my knowledge of it goes. Right now i keep it simple. Oatmeal,jerky, sandwich, jerky,shake, supper then bed.

Comment

I started my journey back on May 6, 2010. I am 5'11'' and have always been a big guy. It seems to run in the family. But I guess that was always my excuse. Anyways I stepped on the scale and was embarrased to say that I tipped the scale at 334lbs. That may not be the heaviest I have ever been but it's definitely up there.

My mom and I started the journey together and have made HUGE strides in the last 9 months. As of this morning I am officially down 80lbs as I now weigh 254.2 lbs! I feel great! I am full of energy! And this lifestyle change has pretty much changed everything about me. I am not negative about things and I am also not depressed anymore. It's almost as though nothing can stop me!

What am I doing? I have fallen in love with cycling. Mountain biking in particular. There are so many awesome trails here in El Paso it has turned into an obsession for me. On days that I am not able to ride, since I work full time and go to school, I run on a treadmill and use the stationary bike at home. With the weather warming up and the daylight lasting longer I expect to either ride more or even run outside. Good luck to all in your journeys!!

Comment

Congrats on how far you've come Chuck.

I was talking to someone the other day and I made the comment, that it seems like

being fat makes me unhappy, and being unhappy makes me fat.

So I have to break one in order to break the other. It's amazing how much better you feel mentally when you're more in shape, and have a good self image.

Comment

Thanks man. It's funny cause that statement is very similar to a joke, on Saturday Night Live, I believe. Something like, "I eat cause I'm unhappy, and I'm unhappy because I eat!" Lol!!

But it's so true how those things go hand in hand. And along my way I have supposedly inspired others to make changes on their own. I appreciate it when I hear stuff like that. But the truth in all this is that it has to come from the heart. You have to "want" it and truly work hard at it. Anyone that ever said weight loss was easy was either not trying hard enough or was flat out stupid. This has been the most fun, difficult, rewarding, and sometimes frustrating thing I have ever done to myself. But all in all the end result is what I strive for and will utlimately reach.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckacosta View Post
                    I started my journey back on May 6, 2010. I am 5'11'' and have always been a big guy. It seems to run in the family. But I guess that was always my excuse. Anyways I stepped on the scale and was embarrased to say that I tipped the scale at 334lbs. That may not be the heaviest I have ever been but it's definitely up there.

My mom and I started the journey together and have made HUGE strides in the last 9 months. As of this morning I am officially down 80lbs as I now weigh 254.2 lbs! I feel great! I am full of energy! And this lifestyle change has pretty much changed everything about me. I am not negative about things and I am also not depressed anymore. It's almost as though nothing can stop me!

What am I doing? I have fallen in love with cycling. Mountain biking in particular. There are so many awesome trails here in El Paso it has turned into an obsession for me. On days that I am not able to ride, since I work full time and go to school, I run on a treadmill and use the stationary bike at home. With the weather warming up and the daylight lasting longer I expect to either ride more or even run outside. Good luck to all in your journeys!!
                    Chuck, you are awesome! Keep up the great work and keep us informed.

Comment

Originally posted by bjtheman1 View Post
                      I'm currently 5'7 at 220lbs, I've lost about 12lbs over the past year. I was at 232lbs which was my heaviest ever. My motivation is killing me, I'll get back into things then after a couple weeks I fall back out. I've got to get my shit together and finish what I'm starting here.

My short-term goal is within 2 months to be as close to 200lbs as possible, alot of cardio and weights will be taking place. Long-term goal is back to the 185lb with 11% (or less)BF mark I was once at when I was in my prime!

I don't smoke, and rarely ever drink. Working on adjusting my eating habits and eating healthier too.
                      You and I are the same height and probably have similar builds. Life sucks sometimes. I'm the shortest person in my family but a lot. I was robbed, but oh well. I am better looking though.

In Pee Wee I played linebacker... in Jr. High I moved to cornerback and in high school I was still a corner and played other sports. I weighed 180ish most of the time and could lift more than some of my lineman. I can probably still squat close to the same, but I had a bad back injury doing squats once and haven't gone back.

My weight in the Navy fluctuated from a low of 165 to a high of 185 (overweight for my height).

Once I was out of the Navy weight started adding up... Last year after my wife's cancer and losing a job I got up to around 250ish I think. I didn't weigh myself until about a month after I started exercising again. I didn't want to know. I'm down to 220 right now. I can do most anything I want exercise wise, but I'm slow. As the weight comes off speed will pick up drastically.

My goal is to be around 200 or a bit less by the first week in June. I want to lose 30 pounds total this year just like I did last year.

I'd like to hit 175 in 2012 and do some really long races by most people's standards.

If that goes well in 2013, I'll try for a super long race.

If you want some motivation, I can come exercise with you sometimes. It won't hurt either of us.

Comment

I'm not officially in the contest, but I'm down to 225lbs @ 6' 1". Just been eating a high protein, low fat diet. We've been cooking all of our meals at home, and it's crazy how well you can eat without sacrificing the awesomeness of taste IF you do it right. Haven't really consistently worked out in a few weeks, but will start Monday. Talked to the roommates about it, and they're all in too, so I'll have 4 people riding my ass. I actually love working out once I get in to it, so they'll only have to "encourage" me for a couple of weeks.
                        "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

awesome poopnut.

I actually wish i had someone to push me. I know i could grow more if i did.

I also wish my weight would drop off like that. Now that i dont smoke its hard as hell for me to loose a pound.

Comment

Sleeper, adjust your diet, it'll happen.

I thought quitting smoking was going to be hard on weight loss, but it hasn't stopped a thing.

And this thread isn't for the contest folks, it's for everyone to just have a place to talk and keep up with your progress.

Comment

I am just weird like that. I don't fluctuate really. One day I wake up and I'm 5 pounds lighter.

I'm also sitting here at lunch with tons of junk food around me on a treat day. I just eat my pretzels and turkey sandwich

Comment

Working...
                              X