No announcement yet.

Black Friday Gun Deals??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my kit and assembled it (kinda)! I lost BOTH my detent pins. One of which grazed my forehead before hitting the 14ft ceiling, never to be seen again.
    IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by GAP View Post
      Got my kit and assembled it (kinda)! I lost BOTH my detent pins. One of which grazed my forehead before hitting the 14ft ceiling, never to be seen again.
      I have got some extras and a secret to installing them if you can wait until next week or the build party on the 8th of Jan.
      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
        I have got some extras and a secret to installing them if you can wait until next week or the build party on the 8th of Jan.
        Thank you for the offer. I ordered six of them yesterday. They should be here Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully Monday, because I'll be out of town the rest of the week. I did end up finding one of the detent pins amongst our pile of xmas gifts.

I did read about using a razor blade to hold down the pin while installing the takedown pin. I'll give that a try. If you have a different or better method, please share, this thing is tricky.
        IMG_0424

Comment

Originally posted by GAP View Post
          Thank you for the offer. I ordered six of them yesterday. They should be here Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully Monday, because I'll be out of town the rest of the week. I did end up finding one of the detent pins amongst our pile of xmas gifts.

I did read about using a razor blade to hold down the pin while installing the takedown pin. I'll give that a try. If you have a different or better method, please share, this thing is tricky.
          Installing the front pivot pin is the biggest pain in the ass when assembling the lower. It never fails to fire off the detent and spring causing the detent to get lost. It is a juggle that you really need three hands for. Insert tip here.

There is actually a tool that is sold for $10-15 but you may find my way a little cheaper.

I went to Fastenal and bought a ¼” x 1 ¾” clevis pin. It only came in a pack of 5 but for $2.40 my cost per is less than $.50 and I didn’t have to wait on it to show up in the mail.

Insert spring then slide the clevis pin in from the left to right. Push the spring down and slide the clevis over it. Rotate clevis and insert brass detent.

Push detent down with a small awl or allen wrench until the clevis can be turned 90*

Clean then lube new front detent pin

Use new detent pin to push the clevis pin out the other side. Make sure to line up the receiving groove. Push the pivot pin against the receiver as you are sliding it into the pivot holes.

ALL DONE…..took me less than a minute to install front pivot pin and no lost parts.

Comment

Let me start with, I can not claim this as my own. I learned these tips from Chris (Bronco71) but thought I could pass them along.

The rear take down pivot pin can be a hassle sometimes when changing stocks or putting together. Here is a nice little tip. Use a #4-40 course tap, cut 3-4 coils off the spring, use a 4-40 set screw to seal it off. Nice and easy and pretty cheap. The tap cost me $8.40 and the set screws were $6.40 for 100 (only way I could find them. I used Fastenal for both.

Before: In the event you have never taken one apart the hole we are talking about is the tiny one on the right side of the rear of the lower receiver

Put some grease on the tap to catch the shavings.

Tap the receiver, straight and slow. I used WD40 with the tube to blow the shavings back out that the grease did not pick up.

Lube up and insert rear pivot pin, insert detent pin

Insert spring after cutting 3-4 coils

Thread the set screw in flush with the receiver and you are done.

No need to use Loc-Tite once the stock goes on there is no way it will back out.

All finished

Comment

^^^^
              I like this.
              Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

Great how-to. I used a razor blade knife to keep the front takedown detent pin from going nuclear in my living room.

Comment

awesome stuff man... thanks for the tips.. Im impatient but will probably wait until the build GTG to build mine.

Comment

wahoo...

Comment

napa has that 4-40 tap for like $1.26 if you want to save a few bucks, i just did that to mine yesterday.

that's a nifty little idea on the front pin, i launched mine across the room twice, but luckily i was able to find it.

i just need handguards, gas block, and barrel wrench to finish mine, i'm hoping it'll all get here in time go shoot at my dads place at christmas.
                      Justin

Comment

The hole for the rear takedown spring/detent on my lower was already threaded. I didn't know why, and had me scratching my head for a moment. I guess this is why. I didn't put a set screw in it, but I will in the future.
                        IMG_0424

Comment

All these fancy tricks, I just use my hands, hehe.
                          "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                          "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Fixed! I used a piece of 1/4" dowel for my tool. The fit was very tight, so I scraped on it with a knife for a few seconds and the fit was perfect. I drilled a 3/32" hole in one end. Then I just inserted the dowel and lined up the detent hole. Dropped in the spring and detent pin. I used the back side of the 3/32 drill to push the pin down, and rotated the dowel to keep pin down. Then I slid the take down pin in place of the dowel. Worked like a charm with stuff I already had laying around for free. Thanks guys.
                            IMG_0424

Comment

I finally got to shoot my rifle! I put about 80rds through it without a hiccup. It's fun to shoot, but damn heavy! I didn't realize how much heavier it is than my AK, until I tried to shooting them standing up. I may see a 16" gubment profile barrel on this rifle in the future.
                              IMG_0424

Comment

Working...
                              X