401k company match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 401k company match

What is considered a good company match on 401k's nowadays? Small company of around 30 people. My wife works for a large company that does 50% match up to 6% for the employee (3%) and allows the employee to do up to 15% (they will only contribute 3% though). My BIL works for a bank and they do 100% match up to 4%.

I honestly don't know what to tell the people asking me up here that we should go to so looking for ideas? I like the idea of 8% employee 4% company and vest after 3-4 years but not sure if thats considered fair to all sides involved.

We're 100% to 6%, vested in a year I think

Comment

I don't know why a company would cap the amount the employee could contribute. The amount is $18,500 for 2018, never heard of a company setting a limit other than that.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

My company will fully match up to 7% and then add in another 5.2% no matter what the employee contributes (so up to 12.2% from employer)

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
          I don't know why a company would cap the amount the employee could contribute. The amount is $18,500 for 2018, never heard of a company setting a limit other than that.
          Not sure, when i was with the sheriffs department it was the same way on a 457b plan. There was no match but i could only contribute 15% if i remember correctly. But i also had a pension that was very generous.

Comment

Company of around 200, we get 100% match up to 8%

Comment

My company does 125% match up to 6% with immediate vestment.
              01 red GT - 745whp/780wtq Whippled 4V and built 4R75W

Comment

Large company here. 100% match up to 10% plus profit sharing. Past few years have been 10-13%

Comment

2% automatic contribution, then a 100% match for the next 4%. The total contribution of 6% seems to be standard.

Edit: by standard...i mean the target most large companies offer to remain competitive against the market average.

Comment

My company matches up to 3%. Pretty large entity relatively speaking - 3 public companies with about $5 billion TEV.
                    Originally posted by davbrucas
                    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

My company matches 25% of my contribution without a cap.

At the end of the year they 100% match my bonus into my 401k.
                      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

7% mandatory employee contribution, employer matches 2X that amount after five years.

Comment

100% match on first 3% and 50% up to 6%. I think we're capped at 20% of our total income.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                            7% mandatory employee contribution, employer matches 2X that amount after five years.
                            Sounds like TMRS ?

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                              Sounds like TMRS ?
                              I was thinking same thing. Which leads me to my whole reasoning for thi question.

I have a full pension from tcdrs that will pay more than enough when i hit 60 for both the wife and I. We are maxing her 401k out and at work it just so happens my buddy and I were tasked with coming up with our companies 401k plan. I want to make sure I can take full advantage of it but at the same time make sure its fair for all parties involved. We are in a good position and I just received a healthy inheritance alone with my two children's college being completely paid for when they're that age (youngins now).

Comment

Working...
                              X