Questions on selling my car without title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on selling my car without title

So I am selling my 2011 Ford Taurus. Had a lot of interest in it and one guy wants to test drive it / look at it tonight.

He says if he ends up liking it and wanting to buy it, he wants to pay in full for it and then take it on his vacation road trip the next day.

I told him it still has a Lien on it that I have to pay off before I get the title, he said no problem.

So essentially he will be paying me full price and trusting some random guy to pay off the loan and send him the title.

Granted, we are having (2) bill of sales notarized with our signatures and what-not and we will both have our drivers license info.

Have any of ya'll done a sale like this where they buy the car and then you send the title later?

Would a cashiers check be risky / should I demand cash only?

I did that on a bike, he trusted my character and we did the deal at my work so he knew where I worked. We made a simple agreement on on Word and we both signed, but didn't notarize. I sent in the money, received the title and sent him the title in the mail...now I did get paid in cash though...

Comment

I took a 30k check a guy took a personal loan on through Wells Fargo. Took him two weeks to get the loan so we kind of got to know each other. Told him I sold it the day he got approved. I did joke with him about getting hookers and blow with his 30k and disappearing. A lot of trust both ways.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
        I took a 30k check a guy took a personal loan on through Wells Fargo. Took him two weeks to get the loan so we kind of got to know each other. Told him I sold it the day he got approved. I did joke with him about getting hookers and blow with his 30k and disappearing. A lot of trust both ways.
        He should have paid you a deposit.

Comment

I sold my 2012 5.0 this way. Guy brought a cashiers check and we drove the car up to my bank and i deposited check and we signed a bill of sale and i took my plates off(trailered home). It helped that the buyer was in management at Late Model Resto and we swapped mustang builds and stories over the phone before transaction. Once sold i maintained contact over the next few weeks and once i got the title i text a photo and put in priority mail the next morning.

Comment

There are escrow services, if either of you are less than trusting, or if it's a large enough amount to make sense.

Comment

No matter what form of payment, I'd make sure that bia bia clears before signing over the car.

Comment

as long as your plates are on it you own it and any problems. pull the plates or file transfer with dmv . i pull plates on anything i sell.

Comment

I did buy an f-body in Houston with a lein on it, I paid the bank for the title and had the bank notarize the sale.

So yeah, have him meet you at your bank and have them notarize the bill of sale at the same time. I think it was a free service my bank offered.

Comment

You pay at the bank that has the loan and they can file to transfer the title to the new owner. They may charge a small fee but it's worth it. Note gets paid in full, seller gets remainder; new owner has copy of title and paperwork for bank release of lien. New owner goes to tax office gets new title.

Comment

Originally posted by spd2stang View Post
                      I sold my 2012 5.0 this way. Guy brought a cashiers check and we drove the car up to my bank and i deposited check and we signed a bill of sale and i took my plates off(trailered home). It helped that the buyer was in management at Late Model Resto and we swapped mustang builds and stories over the phone before transaction. Once sold i maintained contact over the next few weeks and once i got the title i text a photo and put in priority mail the next morning.
                      Pretty sure the same dude bought my 05 Roush.

Comment

I did exactly this whe I bought my 2nd viper, the owner had a lien on the car thru his bank and it had to be paid off first to get the title. I paid in full in cash and took the car a trusted the guy to follow thru and send the title,soon as he got it he sent a pic then certified mail to me with no issues at all during the whole thing. Figured worse case if he didn’t send the title I could just part the car out and still make some money lol.... just be careful on cash deals with fake money,sold a turbo car back in 09’ and got $400 in fake bills....and get this shit,it was one of Carless Chris’s friends cause he set up the deal lmao.

Comment

Conduct it through your bank if local, but if not and you receive a cashier's check, make sure and call the issuer(the bank) and provide the check number and amount to confirm if the check is real or not before accepting.

Comment

Working...
                          X